• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:35 PM, sartoric said:

Make the pierogi please !

Pierogis are not anything I grew up with and the first one I ever had that I liked, was at Neptune in the East Village in Manhattan and my interest was peaked. I tried the frozen Mrs. T's and found them lacking. Yesterday I gave making them a try. These are something I would like to make and freeze individually (IQF) and package in the freezer to have at the ready. The recipe I used called for 2 cups of flour, 2/3 cup of water, 1 beaten egg and a tsp of salt. The result was more of a batter than a dough and I struggled with it, adding flour throughout the process to make it workable. It also said to just set it aside to rest when working on making the filling, I think it should have been in the fridge, and will be, next time I make it. As a result, I feel the dough was overworked and the potato and cheese pierogi, when cooked (from frozen) was a little tough, but the flavor was good and, for the first attempt, not bad. Once I get the basic process down, I'll move on to other, more interesting fillings.

HC  

IMG_1828.JPG

Here is the dough, once I got it to a workable consistency by adding flour. I had to add more (repeatedly) once I started rolling it out.

IMG_1817.JPG

I used a large plastic cup as a cutter.

IMG_1822.JPG

A mixture of mashed potato, sharp cheddar cheese, finely diced sweated onion and garlic powder was used as filling.

IMG_1821.JPG

I spread them out on sizzle platters to individually quick freeze (IQF).

IMG_1826.JPG

Then bagged and put back in the freezer.

IMG_1827.JPG

HungryChris

HungryChris

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:35 PM, sartoric said:

Make the pierogi please !

Pierogis are not anything I grew up with and the first one I ever had that I liked, was at Neptune in the East Village in Manhattan and my interest was peaked. I tried the frozen Mrs. T's and found them lacking. Yesterday I gave making them a try. These are something I would like to make and freeze individually (IQF) and package in the freezer to have at the ready. The recipe I used called for 2 cups of flour, 2/3 cup of water, 1 beaten egg and a tsp of salt. The result was more of a batter than a dough and I struggled with it, adding flour throughout the process to make it workable. It also said to just set it aside to rest when working on making the filling, I think it should have been in the fridge, and will be, next time I make it. As a result, I feel the dough was overworked and the potato and cheese pierogi, when cooked (from frozen) was a little tough, but the flavor was good and, for the first attempt, not bad. Once I get the basic process down, I'll move on to other, more interesting fillings.

HC  

IMG_1828.JPG

Here is the dough, once I got it to a workable consistency by adding flour. I had to add more (repeatedly) once I started rolling it out.

IMG_1817.JPG

I used a large plastic cup as a cutter.

IMG_1822.JPG

A mixture of mashed potato, sharp cheddar cheese and finely diced sweated onion and garlic powder was used as filling.

IMG_1821.JPG

They were spread out and individually quick frozen (IQF).

IMG_1826.JPG

Then bagged and put back in the freezer.

IMG_1827.JPG