• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Return of the Heartland Gathering, August 5-7 (and it's not just for Heartlanders!)

Alex

2 minutes ago, cdh said:

I've made it to Ann Arbor, and am sitting in the Jolly Pumpkin bar downtown.  I am interested in visiting their brewery in Dexter.... might this be a good activity for after lunch and before dinner Friday, or should I do this on my own this evening?

We already have a couple of commitments that afternoon, so we won't be able to. Has Tammy sent you an invitation to join the Facebook event group? You could post the question there. (I'll PM her contact email to you.) By the time people respond, though, it might be too late, so I suspect you're better off going this evening.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

El Harissa proved a great spot for lunch for Alex, Mrs Alex, Tammy and me... many tastes of middle eastern deliciousness.  Tammy had business to achieve and accomplish after lunch, but left me with fine brewery recommendations to fill the gap between lunch and dinner.  Both the Wolverine State Brewery's large list of lagers and the Glass House Brewery provided a fine afternoon of tasty goodness.

Delicious food and drink were consumed at the Last Word... excellent pick, Tammy!  And the post party shenanigans at Ann Arbor Distillery were fantastic.  That Madras Mule was a fantastic cap to a great day! 

• Like 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

16 minutes ago, CaliPoutine said:

I've been off Eg for a little while, wish I would have known.  I would have attended.  Would have loved to see my old Heartland Friends!!

And we, you. Looks like you're still in Cali.

I still remember your deconstructed niçcoise salad in Chicago.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Have a blast, all!!

Now John is retired we are exploring co-housing(I love it - John not so much)  who knows????

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'm sure I'll forget some of the little details of most of the courses we had Saturday night, so please feel free to add or correct anything I mention. I'm pretty sure I remember what I made, but of course I don't have any pictures of it. I think other folks do, so let's hope they post here.

We started with my amuse, served on a Chinese soup spoon: sautéed potato cylinder (white pepper, dill) topped with homemade crème fraîche and golden char roe from BLiS.

I also made a dessert: ricotta from Fluffy Bottom Farm (made that morning), mixed with more of the crème fraîche, half-and-half, vanilla and almond extracts, and confectioner's sugar -- layered parfait-ish with crumbled windmill cookies and macerated (Tammy's Luxardo maraschino and vanilla extract) Balaton cherries.

In between those two were a superb gazpacho, a composed caprese-ratatouille dish (see below), a pasta course (also below), "pork and stuff" (e.g., grilled peaches, poblanos, green onions, fennel), There also was a piece of perfectly ripe canteloupe (before my dessert) and a perfectly wonderful chocolate chip cookie (after my dessert), accompanied by a bit of salted caramel liqueur.

Speaking of alcohol, we certainly had sufficient wine, donated by several attendees. Tammy also made a cocktail, which I'll let her describe.

Here are a few pictures. The order is all screwed up from what I originally had intended to post, but oh, well.

Cherry tomatoes halved, ready for Tammy's caprese-ratatouille combo (with her just-made mozzarella!):

cherry tomatoes prepped.jpg

The cherry tomatoes, before meeting the knife:

cherry tomatoes whole.jpg

Duck bacon, ready for the oven:

duck bacon.jpg

Edsel, in his element:

Edsel.jpg

Fennel and lemon, ready for grilling (sorry, no "after" picture):

fennel.jpg

The duck bacon, accompanying Liam's fettuccine carbonara with shiitake mushrooms:

pasta plated.jpg

Peaches, halved and pitted and ready for the grill (to accompany the grilled pork flatiron steaks):

peaches prepped.jpg

The gorgeous, delicious, uncut peaches (with the cherry tomatoes photobombing the picture):

peaches whole.jpg

The guys' corner (Steve, Farshid, Tom):

the guys.jpg

Edited by Alex
to add information (log)
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, Alex said:

And we, you. Looks like you're still in Cali.

I still remember your deconstructed niçcoise salad in Chicago.

Yep, still here : ).  Still madly in love : )

Thanks. That was a great salad.  I remember Steve Shaw was amazed that I used swordfish. 

• Like 2

Sorry this took so long. Easier to post a link to my Flickr account than to repaste all the pictures here - my album includes meals out and some playing we did after we got home. We had a marvelous time - it was great to finally get out and socialize and cook. Thank you thank you to Tammy for putting this all together!

Edited by NancyH (log)
  • Like 5

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

• 3 weeks later...