• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Return of the Heartland Gathering, August 5-7 (and it's not just for Heartlanders!)

Alex

Update:

Yes

Alex +1

Tammylc + x number of friends and neighbors

NancyH (+ Bob?)

cdh -- Friday only (also in town on Thursday)

five eGers we haven't seen for a while -- including Edsel, White Lotus (I think), and tino27 of bread-baking fame.

Maybe

gfron1

In spirit only

David Ross

Melissa H

Kerry Beal

Maison Rustique

Smithy

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Just giving this topic a bump. (Warning: scary video)

It's really a good time. Please check out the links in the first post.

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

51 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

I am out. I started a new job to kill time before I open my new place. 

Good you got a job, but too bad we won't be able to meet you this time around.

On 7/22/2016 at 11:40 AM, Alex said:

Good you got a job, but too bad we won't be able to meet you this time around.

But now I"m in the neighborhood so it won't be so rare for future events. And when I do open my new restaurant we'll keep a Euro schedule and be closed the entire month of Aug.

1 hour ago, tammylc said:

What time are people available for cocktail hour/dinner on Friday? I need to make a reservation.

The two of us will already be in town, so any time works for us; we'll defer to those who have time constraints.

I'm going to start arranging Friday lunch very soon, like later today. Are you able to be there?

I'm also starting to plan what to make for Saturday. I've listed ten people here, including you and the five former eG'ers. How many more do you think there'll be?

Could you post the event's Facebook page URL, in case anyone wants to keep in touch that way?

The FB event link is here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1645346409067656/

It's a private event, so I'm not sure if you can see if it you haven't been invited, but people can just ask me for an invite.

Right now it looks like I'm the only other person in for Friday lunch, although Nancy said on FB that if she and Bob arrived in time, they might be interested.

I have a Google doc I'm using to keep track of RSVPs across the two different websites. I will share it with you.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

cdh also is in for Friday lunch. As Tammy mentioned earlier, Spencer looks good. I've also been wanting to go to El Harissa Cafe for some time now. Any thoughts, Chris?

For those who'll be driving in, around, and toward Ann Arbor, be aware that there may be significant construction delays or detours. On the 'net, MiDrive is a good resource for construction details. I also like Sigalert for traffic speed info.

Unfortunately for our drive from GR to A2, the biggest, baddest construction issue is the complete closure of M-14 between the Main St and Miller/Maple interchanges. If, like cdh, you'll be in A2 on Thursday, there'll be single lane closures, with traffic shifts, on Huron between State and 5th, until 3 p.m.

18 hours ago, Alex said:

cdh also is in for Friday lunch. As Tammy mentioned earlier, Spencer looks good. I've also been wanting to go to El Harissa Cafe for some time now. Any thoughts, Chris?

I like the looks of both of them... Spencer looks very pretty, but I think the El Harissa menu is more interesting.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

3 hours ago, cdh said:

I like the looks of both of them... Spencer looks very pretty, but I think the El Harissa menu is more interesting.

Same opinion here. Tammy told me she's never been to El Harissa (some of her friends have), so how about we go there? Chris (and Tammy), do you have a time preference? Ms. Alex and I probably can be there by 11:45; later would be OK, too.

ETA: Nancy, does it look like you'll be there in time for lunch on Friday?

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 1

Aww, peanuts! I just saw this!!!!   Man, I wish I could come down and join all of you!  A2 was my old stompin' ground. The farmer's market, right near Kerrytown, may be running over the weekend, so you may find some fresh goodies there for the dinner. 

This really has me reminiscing.  I miss Kerrytown. Used to go grab lunch at the Moveable Feast mini shop there, and the go shopping upstairs. Took cooking classes at the Kitchen Port, and bought a ton of Caphalon there. (Not sure if its still around.)  The Full Moon used to be a terrific hangout with LOTS of beers and delicious potato skins. One Eyed Moose was another favorite.  And the Earle for a little jazz and wine. Palio with its outdoor, rooftop patio...with live music, watching movies on the side of a building during Top-of-the-Park while sipping fun things.  Geez. The fun you could have there!!!   Sadly, I will be there in spirit only. :(

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

21 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

Aww, peanuts! I just saw this!!!!   Man, I wish I could come down and join all of you!  A2 was my old stompin' ground. The farmer's market, right near Kerrytown, may be running over the weekend, so you may find some fresh goodies there for the dinner. 

This really has me reminiscing.  I miss Kerrytown. Used to go grab lunch at the Moveable Feast mini shop there, and the go shopping upstairs. Took cooking classes at the Kitchen Port, and bought a ton of Caphalon there. (Not sure if its still around.)  The Full Moon used to be a terrific hangout with LOTS of beers and delicious potato skins. One Eyed Moose was another favorite.  And the Earle for a little jazz and wine. Palio with its outdoor, rooftop patio...with live music, watching movies on the side of a building during Top-of-the-Park while sipping fun things.  Geez. The fun you could have there!!!   Sadly, I will be there in spirit only. :(

Sounds like it was good times.

Yes, the farmers market will be running on Saturday; shopping there is part of the plan. In fact, here are some pictures of the market from our 2006 gathering, ten years to the day before we're there again!

• Like 2

Sorry for late notice and many thanks Alex for remembering my presence at Gatherings of past.  I will be attending with new friend & life partner, Farshid.  Looking foreward to seeing old friends & making new ones ... cheers :)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, white lotus said:

Sorry for late notice and many thanks Alex for remembering my presence at Gatherings of past.  I will be attending with new friend & life partner, Farshid.  Looking foreward to seeing old friends & making new ones ... cheers :)

Wonderful (for both coming to A2 and having a new life partner)! I also remember your tea. :x

• Like 1

On 7/29/2016 at 0:42 PM, cdh said:

I'm wide open as to time... tell me when and where, and I'll be there.

OK, let's say 11:45 a.m. at El Harissa. We can eat lots of zaalouk and chicken chermoula and gelato, then have plenty of time to get hungry (and thirsty) for The Last Word. (Tammy's working on a 6 p.m. reservation, but that hasn't yet been confirmed by the place.)

• Like 1

Just in case anyone was interested, I thought I'd mention the Janice Bluestein Longone Culinary Archive at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Containing more than 25,000 items including ephemera publications, it paints a rich and unique portrait of American life over the centuries. In the context of the collection, American culinary history is defined broadly to include both influences upon American foodways and the influence of American culinary practices elsewhere.

The collection is shaped by the donation of a rich assemblage of cookbooks, menus, and other material collected over many years by Jan Longone, an adjunct curator in the U-M Special Collections Library, and her husband U-M Emeritus Professor Daniel T. Longone.

Writing in the Boston Globe, renowned chef James Beard called an exhibit of works from the collection “an unequaled feat of culinary scholarship.”

• Like 1

We're confirmed for 6 p.m. Friday at The Last Word. Saturday's shopping logistics will be discussed there.

We're looking to have the actual eating part of Saturday's dinner start at about 6 p.m. Prepping, cooking, and, most likely, noshing before that, of course.

Sunday brunch at Grange at 10:30 a.m. -- awaiting reservation confirmation.

On 7/31/2016 at 7:56 PM, white lotus said:

Cheers back at you. I thought you might like to see this: White Lotus Farms, in Ann Arbor.

• Like 1

I've made it to Ann Arbor, and am sitting in the Jolly Pumpkin bar downtown.  I am interested in visiting their brewery in Dexter.... might this be a good activity for after lunch and before dinner Friday, or should I do this on my own this evening?

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch