• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Noshing in NYC

49 minutes ago, Franci said:

Oh, Anna, I wish you were there too! Had a great time with Kerry. Now I have to come up to Canada, so you two can convince my husband of the beauty of SV :))

P.S.: Kerry, the bread really deflated, tiny crumbs, but still good flavor!

WOW Franci, I'm with Anna.  I know I'd pick your cooking hands down.  Looks SO good.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think you might have actually enjoyed the eggplant thingy!

Shame about the bread!  

Anna - our mission, if we choose to accept it - is to come up with a sous vide preparation for something (perhaps a cut of meat he won't normally touch) that Franci's husband has to admit is better than not sous vide. It's got to be one of those where it is more than the sum of it's parts I think. 

I vote boneless chicken breast or pork tenderloin.  The SV'ing, imo, makes either amazing.

• Like 1

Skipped jb prince and headed back to the fancy food show 

image.jpg

big honking thing of truffles 

image.jpg

neat machine - extrudes puffs and cuts 

image.jpg

soccer was on - there was an Italian pavilion nearby

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 5

Id also suggest boneless turkey Br. and you bone out yourself.

a chuck roast that looks like its more or less a single muscle with some marbling 

these you then SV, for beef are rare as possible, turkey and CkBr   140 0r so

then use them for thin sliced meats for sandwiches, or thicker cuts for Salads etc during the warmer months.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

What an incredible meal you had with Franci and family.  Given the choice between that and 11 Madison Park I know which would've got my vote (except for that egg plant thingy)!  

I'm with you on that one. (Well, almost. I'm fine with eggplant.) I have no doubt a meal at 11 MP would make my head spin but there's really nothing like a good family meal.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I think I would have appreciated both meals but in different contexts. The EMP meal looked wonderful, even if the actual tasting of a few of them was not exemplary. But that meal falls into the Western fine dining - Western haute cuisine sphere where great resources are brought to bear on the meal.  Franci's meal looked very appealing but it is in a different context, that of a home-environment (with elegant and lovely touches, but of course).  They are not directly comparable, even if nowadays there is a lot of grey area between both spheres in some circumstances.  (I would hope that Franci does not take this the "wrong way" – I think what was shown of the spread she laid out was excellent and illustrative of her skill)

• Like 1

I would have loved to have the chance to experience an EMP meal but if I had to choose between the two opportunities, I would rather have gone to Franci's house for that amazing dinner! Kerry was extra lucky not to have to choose.

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

Two years later - on my way back to NYC for the FCIA on Saturday. Decided to post in this thread rather than start a new one.

I have @Alleguede with me this trip - so if a brief break is required to smuck him upside the head - bear with me. 

Kind of slim pickings in the lounge for someone who is trying to eat low carb - it certainly doesn't make for a pretty picture - but here you go.

IMG_0660.JPG.45431725691cae5a10cb4b1735ddd062.JPG

Boarding starts in about half an hour.

• Like 12

The timing of this trip prompts a somewhat unrelated question. Has your annual summer trip to Manitoulin to work at the clinic been delayed or are you not going this year?

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The timing of this trip prompts a somewhat unrelated question. Has your annual summer trip to Manitoulin to work at the clinic been delayed or are you not going this year?

I get back Monday from NYC - Tuesday morning we head north - I haven’t packed yet!

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

What is that? A bloody Caesar?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog