• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Noshing in NYC

All to soon after my rather challenging trip to Indianapolis - I find myself on the 40th floor of the Crowne Plaza in Times Square. I'm here for the Fine Chocolate Industry Association (FCIA) Summer 2016 Elevate Chocolate event.

Of course the EZtemper is with me - just one - and I realized that I hadn't brought along stainless containers of cocoa butter to put in the machine so I've been trying to get all the black stuff off a new turned stainless container with hand lotion and body soap from the hotel. Fortunately there was a loose bottle of mycryo in my suitcase that can be the source of cocoa butter.

At 5 PM @Franci is meeting me in the lobby. We will be dining tonight at 11 Madison Park - arranged by the wonderful wife of @Alleguede. It was a surprise that was sprung on me yesterday while we were arranging the rental car at the Fort Wayne airport to get home after the little pot hole incident. When he explained it was a table for two - and I mentioned that I wasn't really interested in eating all by myself at a posh restaurant in NYC - I couldn't think of anyone else close by with whom I would enjoy a nice dinner more!

IMG_1407.jpg

'Snack' on the very short flight. 

• Like 13

Wondered about that - it was placed in the classic spoon position - but a rather strange one. It had no discernible bowl in spite of appearance in the picture.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

They brought it out twice - the first time for the asparagus with the pureed potato and truffle beside it - then again for the beef and duck with the potato puree and morel custard.

Looks like a spreader spoon.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Fork if I know, I was gonna say "spoon" until you said no discernible bowl. Maybe something to push the peas up against while you spear them with the pea-spearer pbear mentioned?

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

DSCN6306.jpg

Black and White - savoury version

DSCN6307.jpg

Cocktail for me

DSCN6308.jpg

Champagne for Franci

DSCN6309.jpg

Fava Bean croquettes

DSCN6310.jpg

Peekytoe crab salad

DSCN6311.jpg

Rye crisp with morel

• Like 12

Did you find out the purpose of that 'spreader spoon' yet? It has a rather Victorian look to it.  

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Quick - I'm at 11 Madison park and I don't know what this utensil is for 

image.jpg

It's a French sauce spoon. Designed to help you get the last bit of sauce without having to lick your plate. :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_sauce_spoon

• Like 9

Thanks for that!  Wish I'd known that - there wouldn't have been that embarrassing moment when I got the sauce on my nose.

DSCN6312.jpg

Oysters with caviar

DSCN6313.jpg

DSCN6314.jpg

Eggs benny with english muffinettes

DSCN6316.jpg

Bread and butter - really, really good butter

• Like 14

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Quick - I'm at 11 Madison park and I don't know what this utensil is for 

image.jpg

Sorry it's too late to answer your question while at 11MP, but it might be this. Sorry, @FrogPrincesse. Note to self: that is why one needs to read the whole thread before posting.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes
Had not read FrogPrincesse' answer before post (log)

> ^ . . ^ <

Seems like a square edge would be more efficient for getting the last of the sauce off of the plate. Not as efficient as the tongue, but more efficient than a rounded edge.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

8 hours ago, cakewalk said:

The savory black and whites look like they're filled with something? You're in my back yard, so to speak. Enjoy, and watch out for all those tourists!

Keep tripping over the bastards while I'm walking around!

• Like 2

I had serious trouble uploading pictures to the forum last night so I left the rest until this am - hopefully it will go more smoothly.

The Black and white was filled with a cheese ganache and an apple compote I'd say.

DSCN6318.jpg

Seared foie with sorrel

DSCN6319.jpg

Foie as pate with a croquante and white asparagus foam. 

DSCN6320.jpg

Butter poached maine lobster.

DSCN6321.jpg

Halibut with some sort of sauce - will have to get Franci to check in here.

DSCN6323.jpg

The pigs bladder table side!

DSCN6324.jpg

Which yielded two spears of asparagus that had been cooked 'en vessie' - same as en papillote but in a bladder instead of paper.These were served with a truffle puree under a potato puree and given a sauce of the stock they were cooked with that had been reduced down and I assume mounted with tons of butter. This was the first appearance of the elusive sauce spoon.

IMG_1412.jpg

Edited by Kerry Beal
add sauced pictured (log)
  • Like 10

IMG_1413.jpg

Next a very rich broth representing either the duck or beef ordered.

IMG_1416.jpg

Duck - honey and lavender glazed with spring onion and rhubarb compote and shavings of same - with another topping of broth.

IMG_1419.jpg

180 day dry aged beef. It also had broth (I only got the menu for the things I ordered and since Franci ordered the opposite if there was a choice she gets the description).

Sauce spoon came out again with these two dishes.

IMG_1417.jpg

New potatoes in a puree of likely retrograded potatoes.

IMG_1418.jpg

Morels in a light custard - what's the name of the japanese dish Anna?

IMG_1421.jpg

These are brioche pumped full of camembert - beware they squirt - I was wearing the filling after the first bite - and where was my damn sauce spoon then? Why back in the dish pit of course!

IMG_1420.jpg

The rhubarb and sorrel compotes to go with them.

IMG_1424.jpg

A game of what kind of milk have they put in each of these Mast Bros chocolate - c'mon folks - Mast Brothers Chocolate?

IMG_1423.jpg

The baked alaska after it had returned to the kitchen for carving - will try to put up the video that Franci took - I faithfully filmed then realize that I hadn't turned it on.

IMG_1426.jpg

St George white dog brandy with reformed pretzels - you take a pretzel - grind it up, add it to white chocolate, reform in pretzel shape, dip in dark chocolate and decorate with salt. 

• Like 11

What a fun and amazing meal that looks like. Seems as though there was nothing 'too out there' (other than perhaps the silverware). It all looks delicious and approachable. What did you like best; Kerry and Franci? What was perhaps less satisfying (if anything)?

@Kerry Beal did they invite you and Franci for a kitchen tour? Did it look like they were taking any of the guests on kitchen tours? 

Hope you enjoyed the meal; it looked delicious (especially the duck and the morels)! I enjoyed a lunch there once and really enjoyed the meal, the service, and that serene dining room. Thanks for letting us ride along on your trip.

• Like 2

We did not get a kitchen tour - we were anxious to get over to Eataly and check that out - Franci had a bunch of interesting things to show me there and we were meeting her hubby and kids. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Deryn said:

What a fun and amazing meal that looks like. Seems as though there was nothing 'too out there' (other than perhaps the silverware). It all looks delicious and approachable. What did you like best; Kerry and Franci? What was perhaps less satisfying (if anything)?

Interesting that to both of us we loved the baked alaska most of all. Not impressed with getting squirted by cheese and didn't actually enjoy those little brioche - camembert had gone past it's best I think. Loved the idea of them though. 

Oh and the peekytoe crab salad was quite delicious with a good crunch vs soft thing going on.

• Like 5

Good morning! You got great pictures Kerry.

The halibut was poached with radishes and some orange blossom (very in the background I need to say).

The beef is I recall correctly was dry aged for 140 days with eggplant and broth.

I'll try to upload the video for the baked alaska now.

• Like 6