• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Noshing in NYC

54 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Interesting that to both of us we loved the baked alaska most of all. Not impressed with getting squirted by cheese and didn't actually enjoy those little brioche - camembert had gone past it's best I think. Loved the idea of them though. 

Oh and the peekytoe crab salad was quite delicious with a good crunch vs soft thing going on.

Kerry and I were on the same page on almost everything. The baked alaska was really good,  the acidity on the strawberry sorbet perfectly balanced the sweetness of the meringue. Delicious. I also enjoyed very much the crab salad, the marinated foie gras with the thin crispy top was very good. Also the caviar benedict very rich but quite enjoyable.

Overall in a world that moves toward lighter and fresher tastes I found it a little bit too rich for me and I'm not one person stingy on fats. I found some recurrent ingredients or flavors: potato, morels, sorrel, a lot of radishes.

A great service and a lot of attention to details from the nice wooden trays where the appetizers were served, they pile high and mimic the chandeliers. To the paper on the mast brothers chocolate and the nice granola they gifted us with the tin where we were served the caviar benedict with a printed menu included. 

menu.JPG

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Interesting that to both of us we loved the baked alaska most of all. Not impressed with getting squirted by cheese and didn't actually enjoy those little brioche - camembert had gone past it's best I think. Loved the idea of them though. 

Oh and the peekytoe crab salad was quite delicious with a good crunch vs soft thing going on.

WOW that meal looks amazing.  

Anything called "peekytoe" has got to be good :) 

• Like 4

image.jpg

Bostock, canelle, kouign aman 

So at Dominique Ansel you are called a guest. Apparently guests get to find out after they waited a half an hour in line that there are no cronuts, the avocado toast is not served until 11 and the cookie shots until 3!

image.jpg

iced coffee 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

image.jpg

Bostock, canelle, kouign aman 

So at Dominique Ansel you are called a guest. Apparently guests get to find out after they waited a half an hour in line that there are no cronuts, the avocado toast is not served until 11 and the cookie shots until 3!

What you did get looks delicious but I am not sure I would have waited half an hour in line for it. The term 'guest' must be used differently nowadays than in my youth. Not surprising. One needs a translator it seems to discern which words that seem familiar are now being interpreted in quite a different way than this older person might expect. :( But I hope you enjoyed what you did get.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Reformed pretzels - you take a pretzel - grind it up, add it to white chocolate, reform in pretzel shape, dip in dark chocolate and decorate with salt. 

Hmmm... kinda feeling that thieving, errr... borrowing! twitch...

Were they good?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

@Kerry Beal

Was the KA as good as the ones @Alleguede makes?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Kerry Beal

Was the KA as good as the ones @Alleguede makes?

Nope - Rodney's leave these ones in the dust - these aren't dark enough or caramelly enough

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Alleguede said:

What a bad trip to nyc! You should never return.

how was the show?

Yeah right!

IMG_1474.jpg

My table just after I poured my tea all over it and before all my cards curled!

The show was successful I would say. The fellows from Keychoc will be ordering a unit as soon as they get back to the UK - they have this fabulous machine that has pump capabilities that can allow attachment of dosing, enrober, cooling tunnel etc but it still requires seeding - they wanted to see my EZtemper because they realized it would be an excellent way to quickly temper the chocolate in their tank. Here is a link to the machine they brought. They have shipped one to Canada recently - I need to contact that person and let them know about the EZtemper for sure!

I also dropped in yesterday to the production facility of  FIKA - Hakan the owner/chocolatier was there in the back talking to a couple of other fellows. I asked the staff to see if he would speak to me, he was willing and was extremely interested in the EZtemper.  A few minutes after he went back to work - one of the fellows he had been talking to came out - said "hello Kerry - I had just been telling Hakan that he needed to get one" - turns out that he was one of my earliest customers who purchased a unit shortly after last years show. He is also in town for the FCIA. He knows Hakan and was in visiting the shop. 

• Like 8

image.jpg

image.jpg

Two Friends - girls I taught when they first arrived in Canada - they've come a long way!

image.jpg

I was just conscripted to go to the first aid room to remove a toothpick from a foot (cheese section) but an officious ems type insisted both of them go to the hospital because of possible nerve damage!

hope the food show is footing the bill!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 5

Big liability issues in the States if they don't take someone to an accredited hospital (which then passes on the liability). Good Samaritans, even trained medical ones, are not encouraged. :( But, no, I think unlikely the food show will foot the bill - the unfortunate recipient of the toothpick is likely to have to do that. Hope they have good insurance. :( Nice of you to try though (and I am sure you could have done a very admirable job had they not refused to allow you to - after all that is your specialty!). I hope there was indeed no nerve damage for the injured party ... sounds like just an excuse to transport.

Is the last picture above of real wasabi roots, Kerry?

IMG_1485.jpg

Practice, practice, practice

IMG_1488.jpg

This evening after the Fancy Food show I headed out to @Franci's in Brooklyn. She and her hubby put together a lovely spread - some wonderful foccacia to start.

IMG_1489.jpg

Lamb's tongues.

IMG_1494.jpg

Sweet breads. 

IMG_1495.jpg

Picanha and chuck eye.

IMG_1490.jpg

Baba ganouche

IMG_1491.jpg

Grilled zucchini and spring onions.

IMG_1492.jpg

Stir fried bok choy with mushrooms.

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

Dessert - one of @Franci's wonderful pistachio cakes that she reclaimed from the store selling it and a tart accompanied by roasted apricots. 

Prosecco to start, a lovely pinot (Expression 38 I believe) to follow and a cup of tea with dessert.

IMG_1502.jpg

Took a wrong turn coming off the subway on my return home - which rewarded me with this view celebrating the big pride parade today. 

• Like 12

What an incredible meal you had with Franci and family.  Given the choice between that and 11 Madison Park I know which would've got my vote (except for that egg plant thingy)!  

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

41 minutes ago, Anna N said:

What an incredible meal you had with Franci and family.  Given the choice between that and 11 Madison Park I know which would've got my vote (except for that egg plant thingy)!  

I think you might have actually enjoyed the eggplant thingy!

5 minutes ago, Franci said:

Oh, Anna, I wish you were there too! Had a great time with Kerry. Now I have to come up to Canada, so you two can convince my husband of the beauty of SV :))

P.S.: Kerry, the bread really deflated, tiny crumbs, but still good flavor!

Shame about the bread!  

Anna - our mission, if we choose to accept it - is to come up with a sous vide preparation for something (perhaps a cut of meat he won't normally touch) that Franci's husband has to admit is better than not sous vide. It's got to be one of those where it is more than the sum of it's parts I think. 

• Like 5