• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

Glebionis coronaria.

Many names for this around the world. Even in Chinese it is commonly known as tong ho (茼蒿) in Cantonese-speaking areas but is often known as "King Vegetable" (皇帝菜) (more correctly, "Emperor Vegetable") in various other places.

I myself prefer the large-leafed variety (大葉茼蒿) which is less commonly found but which has a finer flavor to it - the plants look like this, or this, or this, or this, or this, and so on.

ETA: @zend, here are just a few examples (there are more) that I've posted on eG showing what I did with this vegetable: here, here, here (scroll down), here (scroll down), here, here (scroll way down), here, here (scroll down).

huiray

huiray

Glebionis coronaria.

Many names for this around the world. Even in Chinese it is commonly known as tong ho (茼蒿) in Cantonese-speaking areas but is often known as "King Vegetable" (皇帝菜) (more correctly, "Emperor Vegetable") in various other places.

I myself prefer the large-leafed variety (大葉茼蒿) which is less commonly found but which has a finer flavor to it - the plants look like this, or this, or this, or this, or this, and so on.