• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Home Appliances are Junk

Jason Perlow

28 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Excellent idea.  Not that it would have helped me here as the freezer temps have remained within an acceptable range (based on the min-max display on the little Thermoworks Spot that lives in there) though a fridge alarm might have helpfully woken me up in the middle of the night and provided me a bit more time for online fridge shopping!

A little Spot lives in my refrigerator too!  I ordered (among other things) a BlueDOT with an ambient probe for the freezer problem, because whether the power goes out or not I'll have an audible alarm.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I posted a while ago somewhere here about my new laundry pair.

After having used an LG washer and dryer some time ago at a vacation rental I was keen to purchase that brand to replace my 17 y/ Kenmore Elite set.

Finally got them installed (it took a while since the delivery guys can't hook up gas appliances and my dryer is gas).

Beautiful...Love all the new bells and whistles now.  Steam in the wash and the dryer too!  All kinds of options for water temp, length of time, speed, etc.

I'm checking everywhere to find more items to wash!  Never thought that would ever happen!

Top load washer for me, I didn't care for the front loaders.

Top loader with impeller for me

Gas dryer with steam

• Like 3

Good news - the fridge has arrived, is plugged in and is humming along with a Spot in the fridge and one in the freezer.   Last night, they sent me a delivery window of 8AM - Noon.  A little after 7, I heard a truck pull up out in front. Thought it was probably my neighbors construction delivery so I paid no attention.  I was bustling about, emptying the closet, mopping the dusty floor in there, moving furniture so there was a clear path, etc. when the doorbell rang.  That was indeed my fridge truck, an hour early - good thing I'd changed out of my PJs and brushed my teeth!   

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Good news - the fridge has arrived, is plugged in and is humming along with a Spot in the fridge and one in the freezer.   Last night, they sent me a delivery window of 8AM - Noon.  A little after 7, I heard a truck pull up out in front. Thought it was probably my neighbors construction delivery so I paid no attention.  I was bustling about, emptying the closet, mopping the dusty floor in there, moving furniture so there was a clear path, etc. when the doorbell rang.  That was indeed my fridge truck, an hour early - good thing I'd changed out of my PJs and brushed my teeth!   

WOW!  That never happens around here--the early delivery I mean.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

WOW!  That never happens around here--the early delivery I mean.

It was a first for me, too.  Seems like most deliveries I get are way late.  Then they say that I need to pay them an extra $45 for some little plumbing connection that I could get for 75 cents but it's so late that all the stores are closed so I have no choice but to pay up.  Then the new dishwasher leaks all over the floor anyway!

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Good news - the fridge has arrived, is plugged in and is humming along with a Spot in the fridge and one in the freezer.

Good to hear that you have a replacement! Were you able to fit everything into this smaller one? And did they take the old fridge away? It does sound like it will be tricky to find one the right size to fit into that gap. 

I feel for you guys! The misery of fridge replacements, ugh. 

Our last fridge trauma was about three years ago, just as the pandemic closures were well underway and our newish LG died on us. It had done something similar about a year earlier but we were able to revive it then by unplugging it and leaving it overnight. No such luck this time. 

We couldn't book an appliance repair person to come and look at it for weeks so we just accepted we needed a new one. Shopping options were extremely limited and shipping times were already crazy long so we knew we had to find something in stock. We lucked out with one local store that had a few choices and I ended up loving the GE one we picked. We sold that house a year or so later, I wonder how the newer fridge holds up!  🙂

In this house, I wanted a different fridge but we kept the old one in the garage. We don't really need a second fridge, but I don't want to risk being caught an extra on hand anymore! How sad is that? 😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

Good to hear that you have a replacement! Were you able to fit everything into this smaller one? And did they take the old fridge away? It does sound like it will be tricky to find one the right size to fit into that gap. 

The delivery guy said it would take about 6 hrs for the temps to stabilize so I haven't put anything in yet.  It's been holding -5 to -7Ï in the freezer and 35°F in the fridge for a while now so I think I'll put some ice cube trays in the freezer and start moving fridge stuff in.  Given what I tossed, I believe the fridge part will handle most of what's left.  I didn't lose anything from the freezer so that's going to be more of a crunch and I'll probably have to toss some stuff.  The new fridge just has one shelf so I need to get some little tubs or shoe boxes to organize things.

They would have removed the old fridge but since the freezer never warmed up and the fridge is still maintaining 50°F which is OK for fruits and veg in the short term, I didn't take them up on it. Lord only knows what's behind there but once it's emptied, I'll be able to wiggle it out and see!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The delivery guy said it would take about 6 hrs for the temps to stabilize so I haven't put anything in yet.  It's been holding -5 to -7Ï in the freezer and 35°F in the fridge for a while now so I think I'll put some ice cube trays in the freezer and start moving fridge stuff in.  Given what I tossed, I believe the fridge part will handle most of what's left.  I didn't lose anything from the freezer so that's going to be more of a crunch and I'll probably have to toss some stuff.  The new fridge just has one shelf so I need to get some little tubs or shoe boxes to organize things.

They would have removed the old fridge but since the freezer never warmed up and the fridge is still maintaining 50°F which is OK for fruits and veg in the short term, I didn't take them up on it. Lord only knows what's behind there but once it's emptied, I'll be able to wiggle it out and see!

I’m quite certain that you’ll find lots of Patrick and Michael’s “treasures” under there. All the twist ties and bread bag lock thingies and bottle caps that have gone missing over the years. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

I’m quite certain that you’ll find lots of Patrick and Michael’s “treasures” under there. All the twist ties and bread bag lock thingies and bottle caps that have gone missing over the years. 

If my Mom were still here, she'd be looking for pieces of liver.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, FauxPas said:

In this house, I wanted a different fridge but we kept the old one in the garage. We don't really need a second fridge, but I don't want to risk being caught an extra on hand anymore! How sad is that? 😄 

I don't need a second fridge either, but I agree that's it's a pretty nice luxury, especially these days when the fridges don't last like they used to and delivery times are all over the place! 

In my case, it could be quite functional as well.  Not sure what I'll get with a new side-by-side, but in the one I have now, the freezer shelves are only about 12 inches wide and the fridge side about 17 inches so putting trays of anything in to freeze or chill is always a challenge. The new one isn't big, more or less apartment-sized but the shelves are 24-25 inches wide so I can see making use of for baking, etc. 

Reporting back to say that I transferred all the fridge stuff and it fits fine, though there was quite a bit of culling involved in the transfer Things aren't terribly well organized and the produce bins are very petite. While I'm not a big fan of the side-by-side, having many small shelves allows for easy organization so I need to get some bins or tubs. 

That process warmed up the fridge quite a bit so I'm going to give it some time before I tackle the freezer.  Maybe I'll run to Target for some plastic bins while I wait for it to catch up. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DesertTinker said:

@blue_dolphin Have you thought about having a refrigerator only in the kitchen, with  a separate freezer where your interim fridge freezer is? No clue as to your current space and dimensions, or availability of units to achieve the split setup, but it’s possibly worth considering.

My ideal would be to have a full-size refrigerator-only unit and a decent sized upright freezer and have them both in the kitchen. Much as I love having the small upright freezer and the extra fridge (with freezer) in the garage, I tend to hate having to go through the doors and past the car and all the other garage stuff to get to them.  🙂

• Like 4

5 hours ago, FauxPas said:

My ideal would be to have a full-size refrigerator-only unit and a decent sized upright freezer and have them both in the kitchen. Much as I love having the small upright freezer and the extra fridge (with freezer) in the garage, I tend to hate having to go through the doors and past the car and all the other garage stuff to get to them.  🙂

Full disclosure, I have done zero research on these but ifwishes were horses, then beggars would ride...

https://www.tascoappliance.ca/home/kitchen/refrigeration/fridges/under-counter/ID-30C

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 1

My wish when designing my current kitchen was to have a full size refrigerator next to a full size freezer...ala Subzero.  Hideously expensive and prone to pricey repairs (if one could get proper service done in MT).

So I still have the French door fridge in the kitchen along with two upright freezers and a fridge-only unit in the garage.  Not ideal and I don't like schlepping in and out to get items from the garage.

Edited by lindag
typo (log)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Full disclosure, I have done zero research on these but ifwishes were horses, then beggars would ride...

https://www.tascoappliance.ca/home/kitchen/refrigeration/fridges/under-counter/ID-30C

These look very cool! 

4 hours ago, lindag said:

I don't like schlepping in and out to get items from the garage.

Exactly! (though better than not having the second appliances at all, ha) 

• Like 1