• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Home Appliances are Junk

Jason Perlow

22 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Two, brand-new, same model, detectors were installed at the same time. I've switched them to see what happens.

It's always worth doing, even if the odds are low. When I was in the computer business, every once in a while I'd swap out a malfunctioning part and the computer still wouldn't work. Periodically, it was because the shiny-new replacement was also defective. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 9/6/2017 at 6:43 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

I've switched them to see what happens.

Different CO detector, same result!

I dug out the paperwork and looked it over closely!

Apparently, the oven emissions are what's specifically tested.

Oven vent CO emission originally tested 245 ppm—unsafe! 

I was told that after the cleaning and tuning that it tested 80 something.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My dishwasher seems not to be working.

Perhaps a raise and benefits are in order?Perhaps a raise and benefits are in order?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

21 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Different CO detector, same result!

I dug out the paperwork and looked it over closely!

Apparently, the oven emissions are what's specifically tested.

Oven vent CO emission originally tested 245 ppm—unsafe! 

I was told that after the cleaning and tuning that it tested 80 something.

Is that good news or bad news with the reduction after cleaning and tuning? When I had gas stoves (which I loved, but I have gotten used to electric) we didn't even have smoke detectors much less CO2 ones. The pilot lights even blew out sometimes, and I'm still here. The oven didn't have a pilot light and had to be lit with a kitchen match. I must admit that was kinda (OK a lot) scary. :) I had a cast iron kitchen match box holder that I'd picked up at a yard sale and treated with naval jelly to "derust" it mounted next to the stove on the wall.

I remember buying a HUGE old used gas oven that was six or seven feet across from a used appliance store in Memphis. It had a Chrome piece across the top that reminded me of a car bumper with a clock that still worked mounted in the middle of the "bumper". The timer on the clock worked too. It was mechanical. There were what were probably warming cabinets with shelves on either side of the oven, but not knowing any better, I used them to store cookware. This one did not kill me either, and I paid less than a hundred dollars for it delivered. That was my favorite of all time, and I'm trying desperately and failing to remember the brand. It might have been a Tappan and sort of like this, but with a chrome car bumper at the top of it instead of the enamel one. It was a beauty and everyone who came into the house remarked on it. It also cooked like a dream. Oh how I wish I had that broiler back. It was in that bottom drawer you see in the linked photo. The top element broiler in an electric oven can't hold a candle to the bottom drawer broiler of a good gas stove!

I looked for a used appliance place around here in modern times. Now it seems that people who want to "upgrade" or change the color or something donate to Habitat for Humanity or Goodwill or something. Or even give them away free on Craig's list or Freecycle. Ain't no such thing as a used appliance store anymore, but I used to get perfectly good durable goods that were actually durable from just such a brick and mortar place where you could go in and look through their offerings, back in the day.

The great guy who was in business here for decades repairing appliances before they went digital has retired and gone out of business too. They sent someone out to my home to repair my early '90's washing machine when a drive gear went out. Maybe eight or nine years back at the most. The repair, which is whizzing along great, was less than $100. Without people like Mike, from Mike's Appliance Repair, I guess my old washer is now as disposable as the electronic planned obsolescence models. :(

BTW, the mechanical irritating buzzer timer on my 1970's low end model electric stove still works. The plastic knob broke away maybe five years ago, but I keep a pair of pliers to twist the steel stem with next to the stove. I can set the three-electronic-beep timer on the microwave and be reading or something and be oblivious to it. The old GE mechanical buzzer always gets my attention after a few seconds, no matter how far away from reality I've let myself slip. That sucker will keep on buzzing irritatingly until ... Well I really don't know, because I've gotten quite delayed out at the grill in the backyard and it's still going when I get back.

I'm just going to say it: They don't make 'em like they used to. 9_9

> ^ . . ^ <

17 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Is that good news or bad news with the reduction after cleaning and tuning?

It was supposed to be very good news. :(

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Just now, DiggingDogFarm said:

It was supposed to be very good news. :(

Again, I don't know whether to hit the sad, like or confused button. I defaulted to Like. :)

You mean that it was supposed to have solved the problem with unsafe emissions, but due to the CO2 detector's reaction, you don't think it really did?

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

9 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

You mean that it was supposed to have solved the problem with unsafe emissions, but due to the CO2 detector's reaction, you don't think it really did?

Yes, exactly. :)

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

@DiggingDogFarm It isn't emitting CO unless it's being used though.  You couldn't just open a window whenever you bake?

Yeah. Sure. That's one of the common suggestions. Just irks me that the range is such a total piece of junk!

I removed the blades from the ceiling fan so they could install the powered ceiling vent more easily.

I'm going to try to get them back on today.

The ceiling fan may assist the exhaust fan when blowing upward.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:55 AM, Anna N said:

Perhaps a raise and benefits are in order?

It took early retirement...and now I need to figure out another new, non-intuitive appliance.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 9 months later...
On 6/22/2016 at 1:37 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

The GE range is still going, but has some issues. About 3 years ago, rust started developing rust on the bottom of the oven door, that's gotten progressively worse. All markings wore of of the oven knob — I REFUSE to pay $35 for a replacement!

Worst of all, the oven floor has started to burn through in spots!!!! GRRRrrrrr!!! >:(

The range died today.

The GE fridge lasted just 5 years, the range lasted 8.

I won't be buying ANYTHING GE (Haier) again! 😠

I won't be replacing it with a range.

I use just one burner ~95% of the time.

I'll get a counter-top induction cooktop.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

If only our range would die. I'm sure it's already 25 years old, and will probably keep on sucking forever.

Yeah, after the first 3 years of dealing with this piece of junk—I've been hoping that it would die.

7 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

We did you kitchen remodel when the oven door fell off the electric range that was in the house when we bought it. 

I am a renter and the oven door had to fall off twice before I got a new range.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

46 minutes ago, boilsover said:

But that CO is nice for creating a smoke ring in Q and pseudo-Q...

I can do that all day any day in various smokers. There's not need for it in the house.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

Behold my new fridge

thumbnail_IMG_4777.jpg.f8154e25140601cf12ed3dcdef8264d6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4778.jpg.e7920737dd58849c78a4591c32bc7d55.jpg

It's the newest thing.  Minimalistic, rustic, saves energy (although not the human kind).

I need to make an Instagram account.  I'm sure I'll go viral.  Boho chic living in the country.  Look how just this throw makes it even chicer.

thumbnail_IMG_4779.jpg.0a76742878179dfac164a887640fb01e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 10
  • Sad 6

42 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Behold my new fridge

Oh no!  I'm glad you have a sense of humor about this and hope this is just a short term situation!

Another reminder to go get another fridge in preparation for the eventual demise of my 30+ year old one!

• Like 5

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

Oh no!  I'm glad you have a sense of humor about this and hope this is just a short term situation!

Another reminder to go get another fridge in preparation for the eventual demise of my 30+ year old one!

Wine helps.

It's been so much work.  I'm thrilled it decided to fail in late July.  Perfect timing.  I tried everything to get someone out here to look at it (after spending most of yesterday doing all the things that the internet suggested and becoming completely sweaty and filled with dirt).  Talked to the guy that we buy all of our appliances from today and he thinks it's a freon leak which isn't worth trying to fix.  I bought a fridge from him sight unseen (I've done that twice with freezers from him).  It sounds very similar to the one I have now except it works.  It's a scratch and dent so I feel like I got a good deal.  One year parts and labor warranty.  It's been plugged in and running at his showroom.  He delivers and takes the old one away which is a blessing out here.  But, as hard as I tried, begged, offered him most anything, they can't deliver and install until sometime on Monday.

*pouring more wine*

• Sad 6

5 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Arrrgh!  I could get there before Monday!  I'm sorry you're stuck dealing with this, @Shelby and I hope the AC is working, at least!

If only you sold fridges!!! 🤣

It's been a really good work-out trying to fit all of the freezer stuff in the other freezers and then into my new, awesome fridge lol.

I shouldn't complain.  I'm blessed to have more freezers and this big ass cooler.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FauxPas said:

Monday feels like a long way off! Where do you get your ice from? 

It sure does 😳

There is a gas station about 10 mins away.  We've done 4 huge bags so far.  Makes me wish we had a free standing ice maker of some sort but it probably wouldn't make enough......

• Like 1