• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

Also, a modern refrigerator today is a much more complicated device, with many more components for breakages. 

This is EXACTLY the problem though, dcarch. Simple and solidly built worked better, for much longer (and even with inflation, I hazard a guess, for a cheaper initial price as well). Period.

Overly complicated devices that try to do too much (often straying from their original purpose - who really NEEDS a tv or computer inset into the front of the fridge?) and which use very intricate circuitry are definitely going to be more prone to 'error out' - and much more difficult to fix.

I know that 'simple and solid' doesn't satisfy the need of today's jaded consumers to constantly be 'upgrading' one's designer look kitchens, nor the 'environmentalists' desire for everyone to use less electricity (though I hazard a semi-educated guess there is a lot more electricity used and pollution created as a result of modern materials including computer chips, etc. used to make these behemoths than there was in creating and disposing of the ones of yore) or the aim of corporations/engineers/marketers to keep their profits growing/jobs by always developing and pushing the next best, newest, 'simply complicated' thing on the market.

Progress CAN be good for all, but, in this case, I don't think it has been particularly good for the masses or the environment (even if these new devices are supposedly energy efficient and provide, in some cases, a bit more 'convenience' for some).

Deryn

Deryn

59 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Also, a modern refrigerator today is a much more complicated device, with many more components for breakages. 

This is EXACTLY the problem though, dcarch. Simple and solidly built worked better, for much longer (and even with inflation, I hazard a guess, for a cheaper initial price as well). Period.

Overly complicated devices that try to do too much (often straying from their original purpose - who really NEEDS a tv or computer inset into the front of the fridge?) and which use very intricate circuitry are definitely going to be more prone to 'error out' - and much more difficult to fix.

I know that 'simple and solid' doesn't satisfy the need of today's jaded consumers to constantly be 'upgrading' one's designer look kitchens, nor the 'environmentalists' desire for everyone to use less electricity (though I hazard a semi-educated guess there is a lot more pollution created as a result of modern materials including computer chips, etc. used to make these behemoths than there was in creating and disposing of the ones of yore) or the aim of corporations/engineers/marketers to keep their profits growing/jobs by always developing and pushing the next best, newest, 'simply complicated' thing on the market.

Progress CAN be good for all, but, in this case, I don't think it has been particularly good for the masses or the environment (even if these new devices are supposedly energy efficient and provide, in some cases, a bit more 'convenience' for some).