• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

That is certainly not my experience. With one exception, all our major appliances were new when we built our house 27 years ago. We have only had to replace any in the last 5 years. The original dryer is still just fine. (Did you only mean kitchen appliances?) The original stove and refrigerator lasted about 20 years each. The dishwasher was not quite new when installed - it was a model way too expensive for our budget. My husband's company had installed it in a new home a year before. When the home was sold the new owner pulled out all the appliances (very expensive! one year old!) and replaced them. My husband brought the dishwasher home. It lasted about 15 years. 

I see that in your article you are talking about newer models and primarily high end models. Everything I have is very middle-of-the-road. No bells and whistles. The newer appliances we have, mostly around 4 to 7 years old, function perfectly. 

We also own some apartment houses. The appliances in some of the apartments have been there over 20 years and work fine. Again, these are basic models. That may be the difference. 

ElainaA

ElainaA

That is certainly not my experience. With one exception, all our major appliances were new when we built our house 27 years ago. We have only had to replace any in the last 5 years. The original dryer is still just fine. (Did you only mean kitchen appliances?) The original stove and refrigerator lasted about 20 years each. The dishwasher was not quite new when installed - it was a model way too expensive for our budget. My husband's company had installed it in a new home a year before. When the home was sold the new owner pulled out all the appliances (very expensive! one year old!) and replaced them. My husband brought the dishwasher home. It lasted about 15 years. 

I see that in your article you are talking about newer models and primarily high end models. Everything I have is very middle-of-the-road. No bells and whistles. The newer appliances we have, mostly around 4 to 7 years old are function perfectly. 

We also own some apartment houses. The appliances in some of the apartments have been there over 20 years and work fine. Again, these are basic models. That may be the difference. 

ElainaA

ElainaA

We also own some apartment houses. The appliances in some of the apartments have been there over 20 years and work fine.