• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Wayne

Wayne

@ElainaA Thanks for your kind offer however my neighbors would be more than happy to have me harvest their purslane :D

On a more serious note give it a try. Add the leaves as a component of a salad. They have a mild succulent texture and a citrusy flavour. I had the same thinking outside the 'acceptable food' box.

And yes the endemic blight in this area was non-existent this season however I still suffered from powdery mildew despite the drought conditions.

@Bhukhhad I have tried them sautéed with other greens such as beet and chard and they work very well.

@TicTac I use the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs Publication No. 505 'Ontario Weeds' as my go to. There are also many U Tube Foraging sites that go into detailed identification (although it would take a lot of wishful thinking to substitute another plant for Purslane). It is quite distinct. Nutritionally it contains high levels of omega 3 fatty acids. Lots of info online.

Wayne

Wayne

@ElainaA Thanks for your kind offer however my neighbors would be more than happy to have me harvest their purslane :D

On a more serious note give it a try. Add the leaves as a component of a salad. They have a mild succulent texture and a citrusy flavour. I had the same thinking outside the 'acceptable food' box.

And yes the endemic blight in this area was non-existent this season however I still suffered from powdery mildew despite the drought conditions.

@Bhukhhad I have tried them sautéed with other greens such as beet and chard and they work very well.

@TicTac I use the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs Publication No. 505 'Ontario Weeds' as my go to. There are also many U Tube Foraging sites that go into detailed identification (although it would take a lot of wishful thinking to substitute another plant for Purslane). It is quite distinct.