• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

The tomatoes are coming in massively - I have canned 21 quarts so far and have enough to do another 7. Also 6 quarts of  imitation V8 juice in the freezer.  Tomorrow I plan on canning tomato chutney - and I'll pick more. 

I like to plant lots of different varieties  - I have 16 different types this year (Yeah, I do go a bit overboard - seed catalogs are very dangerous here in February. ^_^) So here is a sampler (slightly annotated) of what I have :

DSC01579.jpg 

Back row: Black from Tula (huge fruit but many are misshapen), German Johnson (a relative of Brandywine - all of mine have green shoulders that do no go away), Gallo de Summer, BHN 589 (a Johnny's Seeds variety chosen for blight resistance - large, nice flavored fruit.)

Middle row: Plum Regal (a plum also chosen for blight resistance. I have lots of green fruit but only a couple ripe yet), BHN 871 (another Johnny's variety - I love both the color and taste of these so they are a regular) , Polebig (a reliable middle sized tomato), Solar Flare (these are so pretty - quite large and prolific), Big New Dwarf (these are my container experiment - not terribly successful perhaps because it was so hot and dry that even daily watering was not enough. Fruits are quite large but almost all are misshapen as this one is0

Front row: Defiant (another very reliable, blight resistant plant) White cherry (nice flavor bur very few fruit), Chocolate Sprinkles (my new favorite - pretty and delicious), Sun Lemon (very prolific), Gardener's Delight (a large cherry type), Orange Paruche (nice flavor but very soft and split easily) and Jaune Flamee (small orange fruit - also very soft - it makes me wonder if that is characteristic of orange tomatoes?)

Some of these will definitely be back next year, some not. I love the mix of colors both in salads and in the canning jars. We have large bowls of multi-colored cherry tomaotes both for snacking and salads - and when we have eaten all we can and I have processed all i want to, bags go to Loaves and Fishes.

I go just as far overboard with lettuce varieties - maybe next early summer I will do a sampler of them.

ElainaA

ElainaA

The tomatoes are coming in massively - I have canned 21 quarts so far and have enough to do another 7. Also 6 quarts of  imitation V8 juice in the freezer.  Tomorrow I plan on canning tomato chutney - and I'll pick more. 

I like to plant lots of different varieties  - I have 16 different types this year (Yeah, I do go a bit overboard - seed catalogs are very dangerous here in February. ^_^) So here is a sampler (slightly annotated) of what I have :

DSC01579.jpg 

Back row: Black from Tula (huge fruit but many are misshapen), German Johnson (a relative of Brandywine - all of mine have green shoulders that do no go away), Gallo do Summer, BHN 589 (a Johnny's Seeds variety chosen for blight resistance - large, nice flavored fruit.)

Middle row: Plum Regal (a plum also chosen for blight resistance. I have lots of green fruit but only a couple ripe yet), BHN 871 (another Johnny's variety - I love both the color and taste of these so they are a regular) , Polebig (a reliable middle sized tomato), Solar Flare (these are so pretty - quite large and prolific), Big New Dwarf (these are my container experiment - not terribly successful perhaps because it was so hot and dry that even daily watering was not enough. Fruits are quite large but almost all are misshapen as this one is0

Front row: Defiant (another very reliable, blight resistant plant) White cherry (nice flavor bur very few fruit), Chocolate Sprinkles (my new favorite - pretty and delicious), Sun Lemon (very prolific), Gardener's Delight (a large cherry type), Orange Paruche (nice flavor but very soft and split easily) and Jaune Flamee (small orange fruit - also very soft - it makes me wonder if that is characteristic of orange tomatoes?)

Some of these will definitely be back next year, some not. I love the mix of colors both in salads and in the canning jars. We have large bowls of multi-colored cherry tomaotes both for snacking and salads - and when we have eaten all we can and I have processed all i want to, bags go to Loaves and Fishes.

I go just as far overboard with lettuce varieties - maybe next early summer I will do a sampler of them.