• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

23 hours ago, dcarch said:

Some Morning Glory leaves are edible.

dcarch

21 hours ago, ElainaA said:

From Wikipedia (and therefore of course not 100% reliable): "The seeds of many species of morning glory contain ergoline alkaloids such as the psychedelic ergonovine and ergine (LSA). Seeds of Ipomoea tricolor and Turbina corymbosa (syn. R. corymbosa) are used as psychedelics. The seeds of morning glory can produce a similar effect to LSD when taken in large doses."

Is this the "edible" you were referring to? xD   

I assume you were really referring to the varieties also called 'water spinach' - banned in most of the US as a 'noxious weed'. There are many different varieties of morning glory - I'm not really sure what mine is after all these years.

19 hours ago, dcarch said:

No. I was only talking about leaves of some varieties. Not seeds.

Also, Morning Glory and sweet potatoes are in the same family. Sweet potato leaves are a common vegetable for Asians and are sold in many Asian stores.

dcarch

6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I think it was @Tere who grew water spinach this year, and said her husband banned it from the garden for subsequent years. I was unable to confirm this on a search.

Could whoever grew this plant this season expand on why it was banned please?

And yeah, @ElainaA, it doesn't sound worth the risk to try eating your morning glories, although they are very beautiful.

See here.

ETA: And yes, I (and many others) have posted many, many dishes with kangkong (= water morning glory) as the main ingredient, I on the various dining/meal threads in particular.

huiray

huiray

22 hours ago, dcarch said:

Some Morning Glory leaves are edible.

dcarch

21 hours ago, ElainaA said:

From Wikipedia (and therefore of course not 100% reliable): "The seeds of many species of morning glory contain ergoline alkaloids such as the psychedelic ergonovine and ergine (LSA). Seeds of Ipomoea tricolor and Turbina corymbosa (syn. R. corymbosa) are used as psychedelics. The seeds of morning glory can produce a similar effect to LSD when taken in large doses."

Is this the "edible" you were referring to? xD   

I assume you were really referring to the varieties also called 'water spinach' - banned in most of the US as a 'noxious weed'. There are many different varieties of morning glory - I'm not really sure what mine is after all these years.

19 hours ago, dcarch said:

No. I was only talking about leaves of some varieties. Not seeds.

Also, Morning Glory and sweet potatoes are in the same family. Sweet potato leaves are a common vegetable for Asians and are sold in many Asian stores.

dcarch

6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I think it was @Tere who grew water spinach this year, and said her husband banned it from the garden for subsequent years. I was unable to confirm this on a search.

Could whoever grew this plant this season expand on why it was banned please?

And yeah, @ElainaA, it doesn't sound worth the risk to try eating your morning glories, although they are very beautiful.

See here.