• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tere

Tere

51 minutes ago, djyee100 said:

Tere, Such a beautiful garden. Thanks for the pix.

What do you cook with salsify? I've only eaten it once that I recall, in a risotto with mushrooms and leeks at a restaurant. Not a typical use of this veg, I suspect.

I have to confess I've not cooked with it (yet) but I've had it roasted very successfully in several restaurant meals. It sort of tastes nutty, a bit like a cross between Jerusalem artichoke, parsnip and burdock root. This is a more experimental planting with some freebie seeds from a seed exchange, but the fact that each planting is only a metre long in the bed means we can try out more than a few things and not grieve too much if it doesn't work out (like the tree spinach).

Tere

Tere

50 minutes ago, djyee100 said:

Tere, Such a beautiful garden. Thanks for the pix.

What do you cook with salsify? I've only eaten it once that I recall, in a risotto with mushrooms and leeks at a restaurant. Not a typical use of this veg, I suspect.

I have to confess I've not cooked with it (yet) but I've had it roasted very successfully in several restaurant meals. This is a more experimental planting, but the fact that each planting is only a metre long in the bed means we can try out more than a few things and not grieve too much if it doesn't work out (like the tree spinach).