• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

A bit of a tour around my yard - showing off the huge hostas (edible), daylily patch (edible), poppies (not edible as far as I know but I didn't plant them - the last owner liked 'flowers' - I like flowers IF they are edible as well as pretty), chives the last owner planted not realizing they are also VERY edible, rhubarb patch, two things that survived this past winter in my (as yet unweeded) 'herb' patch - the one located directly in the ground - sorrel and oregano, and my blooming wild apple tree (in the weeds). The latter is a bit hard to photograph since it is 'airy' and the surrounds are a bit busy with trees, water, weeds, tall grasses, etc.

Herbs I like to have in the house or on the deck in pots or otherwise close by. Don't want to have to walk around the house to harvest them when I remember at the last minute that I wanted to add some to whatever I am already cooking.

Considering where to place the bushes, etc. that I bought - and where to locate a real bed, primarily for seed-based edible growing. I think it would work well along the edge of where the grass has been mowed. I don't think I really want a big square/rectangle in the middle of the yard so I was thinking a meandering strip about 2 feet deep along the edge to the left of the apple tree would work well. Opinions?

Please excuse the lack of 'neatness' in my yard. Not going to ever look like a dutch garden. It's 'rustic' and 'lived in'. :)

hosta and daylily.JPG

chives.JPG

long view of apple tree (1).JPG

close view apple.JPG

chives.JPG

oregano.JPG

sorrel.JPG

neighbour apple tree.JPG

rhubarb left and apple center.JPG

poppies gone wild in back with wild berries.JPG

Deryn

Deryn

A bit of a tour around my yard - showing off the huge hostas (edible), daylily patch (edible), poppies (not edible as far as I know but I didn't plant them - the last owner liked 'flowers' - I like flowers IF they are edible as well as pretty), chives the last owner planted not realizing they are also VERY edible, rhubarb patch, two things that survived this past winter in my (as yet unweeded) 'herb' patch - the one located directly in the ground - sorrel and oregano, and my blooming wild apple tree (in the weeds). The latter is a bit hard to photograph since it is 'airy' and the surrounds are a bit busy with trees, water, weeds, tall grasses, etc.

Herbs I like to have in the house or on the deck in pots or otherwise close by. Don't want to have to walk around the house to harvest them when I remember at the last minute that I wanted to add some to whatever I am already cooking.

Considering where to place the bushes, etc. that I bought - and where to locate a real bed, primarily for seed-based edible growing. I think it would work well along the edge of where the grass has been mowed. I don't think I really want a big square/rectangle in the middle of the yard so I was thinking a meandering strip about 2 feet deep would work well. Opinions?

Please excuse the lack of 'neatness' in my yard. Not going to ever look like a dutch garden. It's 'rustic' and 'lived in'. :)

hosta and daylily.JPG

chives.JPG

close view apple.JPG

chives.JPG

oregano.JPG

sorrel.JPG

neighbour apple tree.JPG

Deryn

Deryn

Considering where to place the bushes, etc. that I bought - and where to locate a real bed, primarily for seed-based edible growing. I think it would work well along the edge of where the grass has been mowed. I don't think I really want a big square/rectangle in the middle of the yard so I was thinking a meandering strip about 2 feet deep would work well. Opinions?

hosta and daylily.JPG

chives.JPG

close view apple.JPG

chives.JPG

oregano.JPG

sorrel.JPG

neighbour apple tree.JPG