• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nedick's

John

Junior's cheesecake being annointed the top cheesecake in the city was as a result of a New York Magazine competition I believe. Some of the other winners of their competitions were Goldberg's Pizza, and The Pastrami Factory. Both of them choices that are extrememely suspect when applying today's food knowledge and sensibilities to them.

Well, we can't be nostalgic for Nedicks if the frank they are using is a Shofar frank. The ones Nedicks used had pork in them, had a definitely beef-pork taste. And then the best part was those jars of mustard relish to slather on!! The bun was great as well, with rectangled-edges, and the metal ball handle that pumped a glass of orange drink. Ahh..... the good old days.....

Oh, we're all so thophisticated (as my nephew used to say) that I just can't thand (as Daffy Duck says) it.

That's gotta be "We're all tho thophithticated I can't thtand it!" Well, for Daffy Duck, anyway. :smile:

Michael aka "Pan"

ranitidine: "Pan--Thanks for correcting my thpelling."

[laughter]

Daffy Duck was my favorite cartoon character when I was a kid. I still like those old Warner Brothers cartoons.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Did it ever occur to you that Lindy's cheesecake and the original Nedick's were really both crap but we just didn't know it?

Not exactly. I've suspected I would not love the Lindy's cheesecake, but I always grew up thinking the Nedick's dog and artificial orange drink were crap. Even as a kid I knew the good artificial orange drinks were carbonated. :laugh:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I remember both Lindy's and Nedick's.

URL=http://www.shol.com/mtviewbb/Recipes/Lindy1.htm]Here is a link to the Lindy's cheesecake recipe (this version has about half the amount of filling as my hard copy of the recipe, but the proportions are the same as in the original. Believe me, half the amount of filling is enough. This is the densest, richest cheesecake you will ever eat. If you like cream cheese cake as opposed to ricotta cheese cake, you will like this cheesecake. It was not crap. (On the cheesecake thread I posted a link to a Lindy's cheesecake recipe with the full amount of filling, if anyone is interested.)

Nedick's, on the other hand, with the exception of the buttered New England style roll, was crap, and everyone knew it, but no one cared. Quality was beside the point.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed my njtransit train last night and had 45 minutes to try them.

The dogs aren't like I remember but it was good. They're cooked on the roller thingies. The nedicks "special" had a new england bun buttered on the side. For 1.50 I'd eat it again.

The orange drink was awful. swill. I'll skip that next time.

Perhaps the most amazing thing was that the counter person was nice.