• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Inching to Indiana

image.jpg

Decided to get an early start today and take advantage of the free breakfast at the hotel offers. Not too terribly exciting as you can see.

We are now sitting on the side of the road near Fort Wayne Indiana waiting for the auto club to pick us up and take us to the Mercedes dealer where they can repair the damage done to the bottom of our car when we hit a large pothole .

• Like 2

Oh dear. Hope they get there soon and that the damage is not too extensive. Sorry your trip has been marred but I hope the sales/interest in the EZTemper were worth this nuisance delay on your return.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

Anyone know of a good place to have lunch in Fort Wayne Indiana?

Now we know what a "real" foodie says!  My car is in pieces on the freeway where can we eat? 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Anyone know of a good place to have lunch in Fort Wayne Indiana?

Sorry, can't really help there. Not sure where in FW the Merc dealership is, anyway...

However, be advised that FW is home to what was at least once said to be the largest Burmese population outside of Burma (Myanmar). So- hint, hint... Maybe Yelp or one of the other food sites might be of help. (Chowhound has pretty old posts/threads on the place.)

Edited by huiray (log)

Well sadly we didn't get to enjoy Burmese food in Fort Wayne - we grabbed food from Chick-fil-a again because by the time we got the car sorted, a rental car obtained, the car contents emptied into the rental car - we needed fast.

Still took until 10:30 to get home - but on the upside - perhaps Burmese when I'm back to re-collect the car! Hope that can be done before I  head north to Manitoulin on Thursday. Welcome suggestions for how to fly easily into Fort Wayne.

IMG_1406.JPG

So right now packing to head out in about 30 minutes to NYC for the FCIA.  Had hoped I could do that yesterday - but hey - shit happens.

Did I mention the speeding ticket?

• Like 9

Talk about a Morton salt kind of day... hope it got it all out of it's system and things go better for the remaining journeys on the schedule.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

@Anna N  

"""  Now we know what a "real" foodie says!  My car is in pieces on the freeway where can we ea  t?""

yes, however, the Exceptional Foodie, dans le MidWest, asks for Burmese.

\just saying

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Did I mention the speeding ticket?

Sigh. You had a hard time.

But as for the Burmese food when you return to Fort Wayne – I hope if you pursue that avenue you would find it curious. I think that Burmese might be a difficult cuisine to sample if not going to Burma/Myanmar itself, so I thought it was of interest in Fort Wayne as it has (had?) a large Burmese diaspora.

Does Toronto have a similar large Burmese population? if so then of course one might also sample something-like-Burmese-food in the GTA too!!

As it is, there is also a well-regarded (whatever that means) Burmese restaurant in Indy too, but it is on the far outer ranges of metro Indy.  Bloomington in Indiana (site of Indiana University) also has a "Burmese presence" and I have eaten at the main place for this cuisine there. Interesting. One will expect that the food will have been modified a bit - but, again, one is not in Myanmar itself.

IMG_1404.jpg

This is the free treat machine at the dealership where we left the car - @Alleguede was like a kid in a candy shop - I should have been a little more so and perhaps we wouldn't have had to stop for dinner.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_1404.jpg

This is the free treat machine at the dealership where we left the car - @Alleguede was like a kid in a candy shop - I should have been a little more so and perhaps we wouldn't have had to stop for dinner.

My lizard brain really, really wants to have a go at that machine.

So sorry your trip turned so sour. Too bad you weren't closer to my neighborhood - we could have had a better meal than that breakfast on Monday!

Patty

7 minutes ago, patris said:

My lizard brain really, really wants to have a go at that machine.

So sorry your trip turned so sour. Too bad you weren't closer to my neighborhood - we could have had a better meal than that breakfast on Monday!

And it would have been a hell of a lot easier to pick up the repaired car!

Nothing flys directly in to Fort Wayne I have discovered. If the car is done on Monday I might trying flying from NYC to Chicago then Fort Wayne.

just fyi Indianapolis is ~105 miles from Ft. Wayne. Chicago (not sure at what point but the airport isn't mid-city, though if you fly into Midway it would be closer than the Intl airport) seems to be well over 160 miles. That is if you drive of course .. if you fly in then I guess it doesn't much matter.

Have a great time in NYC.

Edited by Deryn (log)

Best road trip ever....

so much fun. Indianapolis is a very interesting city. Gotta say thank you to our dear host on Tuesday night @huiray for an excellent drink. And dinner

as much as I love you @patris

that breakfast place needs to be helped.  However all our adventures are just incredible.

• Like 9

Well here I am back in Fort Wayne - wake up in the am in NYC - off to sleep in Fort Wayne. Can you say culture shock! The airplanes got smaller and smaller - it was a puddle jumper that dropped me here.

Quite late I decided to find something to eat - there is a place next door called Naked Tchopstix - sadly closed at 10 - the precise time I showed up! Wendy's drive though it was. No picture taken - looked like a grilled chicken sandwich!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Well here I am back in Fort Wayne - wake up in the am in NYC - off to sleep in Fort Wayne. Can you say culture shock! The airplanes got smaller and smaller - it was a puddle jumper that dropped me here.

Quite late I decided to find something to eat - there is a place next door called Naked Tchopstix - sadly closed at 10 - the precise time I showed up! Wendy's drive though it was. No picture taken - looked like a grilled chicken sandwich!

Damn. Still no Burmese food. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Damn. Still no Burmese food. 

I suspect it is not destined to happen! Looks like breakfast this morning will be whatever the Homewood Suites has on offer.

It's all my fault. Fort Wayne is named after an ancestor of mine (Mad Anthony Wayne) who fought in the Revolutionary War. Obviously they need a culinary revolution now (and/or to not roll up the streets at 10 pm). I've been through there a few times myself and thank goodness I didn't ever have to stay more than to pick up gas before I moved on. Of course, back when I did that there were no road signs advertising Burmese food or I might have delved a bit deeper.

Have a safe trip back to Ontario, Kerry.

That's too bad. Oh well.

Indiana, even in Indianapolis, is an early-to-rise-early-to-bed kind of place. It is much better now in Indy, for example, but 15-20 years ago it was true that past about 9 pm or so, 10 pm tops, one's dining choices tended towards the few all-night diners around. Which weren't that bad themselves as diner food. At the company I used to work for, the front parking lot in front of the building where I worked would be full by 7 am, and the back parking lot would be already 4-5 rows deep. A work acquaintance once said to me that he basically rose with the sun and went to bed when the sun set. Medical offices (including my doctor's) even now frequently would be open for business w/ the 1st appointment at 7 am, in some offices even earlier. I once, early on, was offered a follow-up appointment (after an office visit) for 7 am when I murmured that it was uncivilized at that hour and was given a death stare by one of the receptionists. So subsequently I simply specified a preferred time range for appointments. :) 

Naked Tchopstix is an Indiana chain. It started some 10 or so years ago at Broad Ripple Village, in fact, with the original and sole restaurant just round the corner on College from the main drag in Broad Ripple. We drove past it. It's a Japanese-Korean-some Chinese kind of place. I haven't eaten at the place or its subsequent outlets for many years but it used to be decent.

Just for the record, a looksee-looksee on Google maps turns up a restaurant near the Homewood Suites that should have been open till 11 pm on Monday night...here; and a diner a little further, here.  ;)  (Oh, that diner appears to open at 5.30 am Sun-Thurs and 24 hrs Fri-Sat)

Edited by Smithy
Removed extraneous photo at member's request (log)
  • Like 1