• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things Foodies Say

15 hours ago, liuzhou said:

"Oh no! They (the store) don't have any chia seeds left. How will I survive?"

Overheard yesterday.

That's funny. For some reason, the place I ordered my pretzel salt from sent me a (fairly large) sample packet of chia seeds with my order. It's still sitting on a shelf because I can't think of a single thing to do with them beyond a DIY chia pet.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Tri2Cook - Some would say they should be used uncooked (though they are often found on the top of bagels and buns/bread along with niger seeds, etc.) in smoothies and the like. Chia seeds soaked make a very gummy thick pasty kind of 'mixture' - which personally I find a bit disgusting but those into 'clean eating' say it is a wonderful thickener. Not my thing but they are supposed to be very 'healthy'. I don't mind eating them raw but not soaked.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

That's funny. For some reason, the place I ordered my pretzel salt from sent me a (fairly large) sample packet of chia seeds with my order. It's still sitting on a shelf because I can't think of a single thing to do with them beyond a DIY chia pet.

I do use them, occasionally. But, if I never came across them again, It wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to my survival chances or worries.

I add them to bread doughs sometimes. One in ten loaves, perhaps. I sprinkle some on muesli, something I maybe eat once a month. Usually at 3 or 4 am when enjoying my insomnia.

I keep reading about how they will make me live forever. If I eat them with quinoa, I will apparently live two forevers! Come from the Andes, don't you know?

If they are that miraculous, where are all those people who once munched them down like nobody's business; Aztecs and Incas and suchlike? Hmm? Hmmm? All extinct! Explain that.

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I tried chia seed pudding as a sub for yogurt after hearing of its health benefits. Texture pretty much puts me off.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I do use them, occasionally. But, if I never came across them again, It wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to my survival chances or worries.

I add them to bread doughs sometimes. One in ten loaves, perhaps. I sprinkle some on muesli, something I maybe eat once a month. Usually at 3 or 4 am when enjoying my insomnia.

I keep reading about how they will make me live forever. If I eat them with quinoa, I will apparently live two forevers! Come from the Andes, don't you know?

If they are that miraculous, where are all those people who once munched them down like nobody's business; Aztecs and Incas and suchlike? Hmm? Hmmm? All extinct! Explain that.

LOL

Dr. Oz not withstanding, there's barely any human data about "superfoods" and most if not all is negative as far as I know.

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

IIf they are that miraculous, where are all those people who once munched them down like nobody's business; Aztecs and Incas and suchlike? Hmm? Hmmm? All extinct! Explain that.

Conquistadors.

• Like 2

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Guess they weren't much good against smallpox and measles either.  Saw a funny on the link that was posted.  A loaf of very moldy bread.  It was titled "A  Redneck's Chia Pet".   I really need to grow one for a certain BIL of mine.  

• Like 2

Hey, there's nothing wrong with soup! :)

(in fairness I've never even tasted a vegan cheese - I do have a soft spot for Tartex - style vegan pate though).

When I asked the posh daughter of friends in Hampstead, London (the poshest part of North London) if she enjoyed her school dinners she replied, "We don't have dinner at school. We have lunch."

You may need to be English to LOL at this one.

• Like 3

Chris Ward

http://eatsleepcookschool.wordpress.com

I wrote a book about learning to cook in the South of France: http://mybook.to/escs

5 hours ago, Tere said:

From the dinner challenge thread:

"In the fridge .... 34 lbs of assorted chocolate"

:D

I was also taken with "42 eggs" in that post:laugh:

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown