• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things Foodies Say

"How do you want your egg?"

"Soft-boiled is fine."

"OK. 62, 63 or 64C?"

• Like 12

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On a food show I was watching, they asked a customer about the dish she was eating and she looked off into the distance and said "this dish tastes like calm and peacefulness". That did it for me. If that's part of Things Foodies Say, I'm out.

• Like 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

"Here, try this. Tell me what it is."

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, pbear said:

Surely how the meal is "plated for service" is the host's responsibility.  :)

I was thinking more along the lines of home cooking. It is something I say to Deb half in jest and half out of habit. It originated from a table next to us on a cruise ship years ago when they announced to the server that they were foodies and then brow beat her about each presentation at length before ordering. This was followed up by their critique when it arrived.

HC

• Like 2

"I'm building layers of flavor." xD

• Like 8

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, cyalexa said:

"I don't need a recipe."

After college, for several years I shared an apartment with a friend who believed in this. Some of the worst meals I have ever experienced. 

• Like 4

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

From a post in the current "Manitoulin Unravelled" discussion:

"Had to make the mayo before I could assemble the sandwich." - Kerry Beal :B

• Like 9

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver