• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kimchi Problem? Question

I recently purchased a large container of kimchi at Costco.  When I opened the jar, there was no fizzing or bubbling as is usually the case.  Might there be a problem with the contents?  The cabbage had a subtle "sourness" that I've not observed in other kimchi that I've purchased.

• Like 1

... Shel

• 2 months later...
On June 12, 2016 at 2:15 PM, Shel_B said:

I recently purchased a large container of kimchi at Costco.  When I opened the jar, there was no fizzing or bubbling as is usually the case.  Might there be a problem with the contents?  The cabbage had a subtle "sourness" that I've not observed in other kimchi that I've purchased.

Hi there, most of the time when kimchi is mass produced, the brined Napa cabbages get slathered with the chili paste blend, jarred, sealed and refrigerated right away. So if the company, its courier and distributors are efficient (this case very efficient) they'll have no time to ferment to the usual fizzy and tangy kimchi that you're used to. If you prefer the kimchi with slight fermentation, take the jar out of the fridge before bed and lightly unscrew the jar, then leave it on the counter. The warmth of the room temperature will initiate the fermentation once more. To what degree of fermentation is totally up to you. Hope you didn't throw that kimchi out. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:13 PM, Wild_Yeast said:

Hi there, most of the time when kimchi is mass produced, the brined Napa cabbages get slathered with the chili paste blend, jarred, sealed and refrigerated right away. So if the company, its courier and distributors are efficient (this case very efficient) they'll have no time to ferment to the usual fizzy and tangy kimchi that you're used to. If you prefer the kimchi with slight fermentation, take the jar out of the fridge before bed and lightly unscrew the jar, then leave it on the counter. The warmth of the room temperature will initiate the fermentation once more. To what degree of fermentation is totally up to you. Hope you didn't throw that kimchi out. 

Thanks for the information.  I've always purchased kimchi from smaller, more local companies, and never had the described problem.  Perhaps these smaller companies take more time with their product, either by design or circumstance, compared to the company making the product I found at Costco.

• Like 1

... Shel

I have also seen jars of kimchi in which the liquid was way down to the point that the product did not look good. Further inspection (this was from Kimchi Pride, which has a sell by date on the bottom) showed it to be almost 4 months past that date.

HC

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I have also seen jars of kimchi in which the liquid was way down to the point that the product did not look good. Further inspection (this was from Kimchi Pride, which has a sell by date on the bottom) showed it to be almost 4 months past that date.

HC

This is one of the reasons I make my own kimchi, you don't know how old the kimchi is. By the time you buy it at the store, all you see is best/sell by date. There's a certain crunch that only a young kimchi, no older than a week, can offer.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...