• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

1 hour ago, scott123 said:

Based upon the black you're seeing in 3 minutes, it sounds a lot like you're pre-heating the steel as high as your oven will go.

Yes, of course.  Don't you subscribe to the theory that the shortest bake is best?  I can ratchet the steel temp up to 700F by alternating the oven and broiler.

In other words, if your broiler is kicking in erratically like it sounds like it's doing...

No.  It's on >98% of the time.  When it cuts out, I crack the door and it comes right back on.  The IR gun says this has a negligible effect on the steel temp.

The answer isn't a thinner plate, but a lower pre-heat temp.

What do you suggest that temperature be for a 4-minute pie on a 1/2" steel?

Thanks.

boilsover

boilsover

Based upon the black you're seeing in 3 minutes, it sounds a lot like you're pre-heating the steel as high as your oven will go.

Yes, of course.  Don't you subscribe to the theory that the shortest bake is best?  I can ratchet the steel temp up to 700F by alternating the oven and broiler.

In other words, if your broiler is kicking in erratically like it sounds like it's doing...

No.  It's on >98% of the time.  When it cuts out, I crack the door and it comes right back on.  The IR gun says this has a negligible effect on the steel temp.

The answer isn't a thinner plate, but a lower pre-heat temp.

What do you suggest that temperature be for a 4-minute pie on a 1/2" steel?