• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm looking for a certain chocolate mold...

Bentley

Nothing fancy but I can't seem to find it.  I just want a round disc mold - like a hockey puck shape - that is about 14-15 grams per piece.  I've checked the usual sources - chocolate world, kerekes, jbprince, etc and can't find it.  Pavoni makes one that is 9gr...but that's too small for my needs.  Anyone know if such a mold exists?

33 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Are fluted edges ok, or does your heart desire smooth?  I know I've seen some large disc magnetic molds out there, but IIRC they were fluted. 

Smooth is strongly preferred

These are for filled bonbons, not solid pieces.  And it's not urgent, just a shape I wanted for my collection.   I guess I'm not crazy - it must not exist if it's this hard to find.  85g would be way too huge for a bonbon and certainly wouldn't fit in any of my packaging trays.  Thanks though!

2 hours ago, rajoress said:

You can probably find the cheaper plastic molds for chocolate covered oreos. That's about the size of a small hockey puck...Good luck!

That's not a bad idea....do those kinds of molds give the same shine as the good polycarbonate molds?

kerekes has a magnetic mold that's not fluted. 

http://binged.it/1RXbtaS

as for hobby molds, you can get a decent shine but they are harder to work with, floppy and trickier to scrape and handle when full of chocolate. Some of them don't have smooth tops (a ridge around the edge) that also interferes with shell molding. I use a few hobby molds for the occasional solid piece, when I do I pipe the chocolate in rather than ladle and scrape. 

kerekes has a magnetic mold that's not fluted. 

http://binged.it/1RXbtaS

as for hobby molds, you can get a decent shine but they are harder to work with, floppy and trickier to scrape and handle when full of chocolate. Some of them don't have smooth tops (a ridge around the edge) that also interferes with shell molding. I use a few hobby molds for the occasional solid piece, when I do I pipe the chocolate in rather than ladle and scrape. 

I find I can get an okay shine with the cheaper molds if I put them in the fridge to set up for a while. Good shine with a darker chocolate, somewhat of a shine with milk chocolate. I ordered one of the easter bunny oreo molds from fancyflours.com and it came out nice and shiny - their mold seemed to be a little bit of a step up than your average $2 mold found at a craft store.

Good luck!

• 4 years later...

Leaching onto this topic rather than start another with the same general question... has anybody seen a mold for making your own callets/discs/whatever we want to call them? Seems like one of the companies would have wanted to cash in on bean to bar people being able to make their own callets by now but google isn't finding it for me. Disclaimer: not ruling out my search skills as a potential culprit in not finding what I'm looking for. 😁

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

Leaching onto this topic rather than start another with the same general question... has anybody seen a mold for making your own callets/discs/whatever we want to call them? Seems like one of the companies would have wanted to cash in on bean to bar people being able to make their own callets by now but google isn't finding it for me. Disclaimer: not ruling out my search skills as a potential culprit in not finding what I'm looking for. 😁

what sort of volume are you wanting for each piece?

42 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

what sort of volume are you wanting for each piece?

Nothing specific. Maybe something around the size of Valrhona's Inspirations or a little smaller. Not something so small that it would take forever without 1000 molds.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

@Tri2Cook are you looking for something flat like a Valrhona feve or just small?   Here's a small hemisphere: 

https://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/chocolate-molds/c378126051/p17741679.html

or here's a tiny coffee bean:  https://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/chocolate-molds/chocolate-molds-chocolate-world/cw1001-to-cw1900/p16408050.html

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

15 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

@Tri2Cook are you looking for something flat like a Valrhona feve or just small?   Here's a small hemisphere: 

https://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/chocolate-molds/c378126051/p17741679.html

or here's a tiny coffee bean:  https://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/chocolate-molds/chocolate-molds-chocolate-world/cw1001-to-cw1900/p16408050.html

I'm not picky about it at all and not even 100% sure I want to bother with it, just thought I'd see what was out there in case I decide to. It would be so I can mold them and dump them in the big plastic bins I use to store my working chocolate, nobody but me would ever see them so what they look like isn't important at all. Both of those look like they would work great. Actually, if I went with the beans, they could be used for things other people would see as well. Hmmm... :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, LePetitPrince said:

Any suggestions to who producers this mold?

65693CBE-2A4C-49D0-AD51-9E598B1085F8.jpeg

First thought was Pavoni - looks like one of their molds except for the lines. But can't find it in the latest catalogue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm trying to find a larger fish mold.  Have anyone see them this large?

The smaller ones are from Chocolate World, but I don't really know about the large one? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

instagramfish.jpg