• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting Vancouver--restaurant suggestions?

Fernwood

Three days in Vancouver at the end of June (first visit to BC).  This will be the end of two weeks of hotels and restaurant food, so I expect we will be looking to keep things light.  We are particularly interested in local cuisine and in others that are poorly represented at home in Connecticut (most)--I think in Vancouver this might especially mean Chinese of any variety.  We will be staying in the West End on Robson Street but we are interested in seeing other neighborhoods.  I know it's not an inexpensive city and the CDN/US exchange rate makes everything look pricey to me, so I'm having trouble defining a price range... at home I would say US$10-29 would be good for dinner entrees.  I'd love to have suggestions of any variety.

Well I never get out to eat anymore but this might help. I have also asked a few friends for their favs. Will get back to you on that.

.http://chineserestaurantawards.com/diners-choice-awards/

Here's one. Dynasty Seafood Restaurant 777 West Broadway Van,

http://www.dynasty-restaurant.ca/home.html

Edited by demiglace (log)

You're going to make out like a bandit with the favourable-to-US-visitors exchange rate! Dynasty is a great choice for dim sum as you can make reservations and it  has air conditioning. On the complete opposite end of the scale, Yummy Mammy is my favourite Chinese resto at the moment. No A/C, bare bones, in an out-of-the-way part of town but excellent if you love spicy. You can make reservations but there is a bit of a language barrier. Chinese can be as you know a bit harder to manage with only two diners but you'll do find if you order carefully. Or you'll have leftovers :-). Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

• Like 1

So many regional Chinese foods here!  Shanghainese and Taiwanese come to mind.  

My (Taiwanese) in-laws, when they're in town, really like Corner 23 in the South Cambie area (4008 Cambie St).  It's busy in there, lots of young people.  They might be cash only, can't recall.

Peaceful Restaurant is popular & busy and they have a few locations. Their website says Northern Chinese, but I think it's a mix of a few regions - Szechuan, Hunan, Northern....  They were featured on Diners, Drive-In, & Dives a few yrs ago.

Lin's Chinese Cuisine on Broadway & Granville - Northern & Shanghai food. Get the xiao long bao if you're there - steamed dumplings with pork & soup.

And definitely have dim sum when you're here! I haven't been to Dynasty in a long time though.  Also, Floata is in Chinatown (near downtown) and Sun Sui Wah is up on Main & 25th. I haven't been to either of these in a while, but it's a good dim sum experience, as I recall.

Forage is on Robson - local sustainable food, casual fine-dining. I've only been there once, but it was very good.

Japanese is a good choice, lots of Japanese places in the West End, many of them catering to Japanese exchange students.

Hmm....brew pubs/gastro pubs have exploded onto the Vancouver food & beer scene in the last few yrs.  If craft beer is your thing, Alibi Room is in the downtown area (Rail Town). They don't brew their own beer, but have an immense beer menu, decent food.  

Happy eating & enjoy your visit here!

• Like 1