• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mamster's mystery basket challenge

mamster

Can I play too? *smile* Looking at the ingredients, I instantly thought of what we normally have for dinner.

Instead of making a full menu, can I make several entrees? I can see at least three.

This looks like fun.

:)

maggie

There's a yummy in my tummy.

Nice haul, Anna!

Lentils are not like most other dried beans. They do not require soaking, and compared to white or red beans, they cook very quickly.

Thanks. When you say "cook very quickly" do you mean minutes or hours? If I have to develop a dish using them, I need a bit narrower definition of "very quickly". Appreciate your help.

Usually around 20 minutes, but different types vary. Mamster has specified French lentils. If memory serves, they take a little longer (ooh, another qualifier -- say 25 mintues), and they hold their color and shape nicely. Some lentils just disintegrate.

Also be careful about too much acid in the cooking liquid, as this can slow things way down. Add your acids when the beans are just about done.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Mamster, great idea. I will play along!! It looks like fun with many great possibilities. As for Culinary Artistry, I am reading it now. This book contains quite a bit a information that one may nead to re-read just to digest it all. This DOES look like the book that you just want to have by your side whenever you get stumped for that "lets see, what goes with what" mode.

Sure, if you want to do three entrees, do it.

The only reason I suggested the French green lentils is that (a) they're delicious, and (b) they're hard to overcook (I've cooked them over two hours and they're fine). But definitely use any lentils.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Culinary Artistry, since I used it while coming up with the ingredients. And in case anyone is wondering, I haven't decided what I'm doing yet at all.

Any Australians here? If so, sorry for being northern hemisphere-biased.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I think the point is to use them both, but not necessarily in the same dish.  :wink:

I did have an amusing few minutes earlier today reflecting on how stuffing a chicken with tuna, or indeed a tuna with chicken, would rise to Beckettian levels of pointlessness. :laugh:

Cremini are a cultivated mushroom -- they're about the same size and shape as white "button" mushrooms, but have a brown skin and an earthier flavor, and cook up darker colored. They might also be called "field mushrooms."

Otay. I'll do this on Thursday or Friday.

mamster, do dried chiles count as larder staples? How about dried wild mushrooms?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Can I make a cocktail party menu (i.e., all canape/appetizer type things) -- or is that too easy? And if so, do gin and vodka count as pantry staples?

Cremini are a cultivated mushroom -- they're about the same size and shape as white "button" mushrooms, but have a brown skin and an earthier flavor, and cook up darker colored.  They might also be called "field mushrooms."

Think of them as baby portabellas, because that's what they are (or, more precisely, portabelllas are overgrown criminis).

mamster, do dried chiles count as larder staples? How about dried wild mushrooms?

Both of those things are in my larder. So is vodka. Interpret liberally!

So, I wasn't sure how to handle the spoiler issue. If anyone is seriously annoyed with the "no spoilers until it's over" policy, there could probably be a separate spoiler thread.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I think the point is to use them both, but not necessarily in the same dish.   :wink:

I did have an amusing few minutes earlier today reflecting on how stuffing a chicken with tuna, or indeed a tuna with chicken, would rise to Beckettian levels of pointlessness. :laugh:

Did Derrida write a cookbook? :raz:

But maybe that could be a side contest. . . . Improbable dishes, the descriptions of which would be good enough, one wouldn't have actually to cook them. :laugh:

Usually around 20 minutes, but different types vary. Mamster has specified French lentils. If memory serves, they take a little longer (ooh, another qualifier -- say 25 mintues), and they hold their color and shape nicely. Some lentils just disintegrate.

Should have cracked the book I just bought, Timing is Everything, before asking the question. :biggrin: Oh well. Thanks very much for your help.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Both of those things are in my larder. So is vodka. Interpret liberally!

So, I wasn't sure how to handle the spoiler issue. If anyone is seriously annoyed with the "no spoilers until it's over" policy, there could probably be a separate spoiler thread.

Oh, I'm sorry. I hadn't realized you wanted a certain date. I'll do it and then post about it when it's time to.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 4 weeks later...
This afternoon at the grocery store, I was next to a woman whose basket held:

four Braeburn apples

three large russet potatoes

one box taco shells

one packet taco seasoning

one bag miniature marshmallows

Mystery basket chefs, to your kitchens!

Glaze the taco shells with cinnamon caramel. Fill with taco flavored sorbet made with a base of pureed potatoes. Top with apples sauteed with cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Garnish with marshmallows melted and bruleed with blow torch.

Do I win? :blink: