• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gooooooooood Morning eGullet!

Spork

Just a country boy, USA, central Appalachia.

I'm a novice in the kitchen, at best. But, I am curious and eager to learn and experiment. I have very few dislikes in food, and cannot name a favorite. There is no bad food, only bad cooks in my humble opinion.

I have lurked here for nearly two years. The reputation and content has intimidated me to be quite honest. But here I am, bright eyed and bushy tailed.

• Like 7

Welcome, Spork! It's nice to see a lurker come out of the shadows. You'll find, if you haven't already seen it, that eGullet folks liike to help each other learn.  C'mon in, look around and join the fun. I see you're already playing with the post editor. Cool! If you have technical questions about how to use the software or where to post a particular topic, feel free to ask in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum, or ask a host (I am one) by PM (Personal Messenger).

What's in the spoon, above?

Are there particular foods or cooking methods that you've been exploring lately?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Welcome, Spork! It's nice to see a lurker come out of the shadows. You'll find, if you haven't already seen it, that eGullet folks liike to help each other learn.  C'mon in, look around and join the fun. I see you're already playing with the post editor. Cool! If you have technical questions about how to use the software or where to post a particular topic, feel free to ask in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum, or ask a host (I am one) by PM (Personal Messenger).

What's in the spoon, above?

Are there particular foods or cooking methods that you've been exploring lately?

I've never flown in an Invision forum. Figured I best do a few test flights so as to maybe avoid a crash and burn out in the forum at large. 

PB in the spoon, some of my mad kitchen skills on display right there.

The water bath, I guess, has been the spotlight as of late. Had my first shank from it last weekend, 48 hours of Lamb heaven. Got some Venison shanks in freezer camp that are going to get a similar treatment here soon.

Thanks for the welcome.

• Like 1

Welcome Spork to the group.  It's a good one and as Smithy says more than willing to help.  I still find myself intimidated after being on eGullet for 8 years, but I just let it happen and get on with it.  The folks here are nice folks.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

6 hours ago, Spork said:

Just a country boy, USA, central Appalachia.

But here I am, bright eyed and bushy tailed.

Sounds like a terrific addition to Brunswick Stew.

And to eGullet. 

Welcome. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

5 minutes ago, Jaymes said:

Sounds like a terrific addition to Brunswick Stew.

And to eGullet. 

Welcome. 

Luvs me me some squirrel and limas now, haaawwww.

Thanks for the welcome. 

• Like 1

Hi, Spork! Welcome to Food Central. The professionals in this forum, and there are some marvelous ones, tolerate mildly capable amateurs like myself quite happily. I've learned amazing things in here and truly expanded my cooking repertoire.

SV venison is a fine, fine thing. Wish I could learn to like lamb, and that probably would be as well.

Is it good foraging up there in your part of central Appalachia? That's something I wish I was in a part of the world to do. Not a whole lot of foraging here in the Delta.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Hi, Spork! Welcome to Food Central. The professionals in this forum, and there are some marvelous ones, tolerate mildly capable amateurs like myself quite happily. I've learned amazing things in here and truly expanded my cooking repertoire.

SV venison is a fine, fine thing. Wish I could learn to like lamb, and that probably would be as well.

Is it good foraging up there in your part of central Appalachia? That's something I wish I was in a part of the world to do. Not a whole lot of foraging here in the Delta.

The foraging possibilities are great, if I would apply myself. That's another skill that I would consider myself novice. I might be able to fend off scurvy, if it was a must.

Thanks for the welcome.