• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Koreatown: A Cookbook

heidih

I stumbled upon this 2016 release at the library today. Authors are Deuki Hong (pretty strong chef credentials) and Matt Rodbard. Living where I do Korean food is familiar, but this is the most interesting, authentic, accessible Korean cookbook I've come across with a focus on Korean food in the US. Bourdain and Zimmern provided blurbs. Essays scattered throughout are quite good. 

Koreatown: A Cookbook

Edited by Smithy
Added Amazon link at member's request (log)
  • Like 2

I ordered the book as soon as I saw you mention it and it came today. I am excited about trying some of the recipes.  Even though my wife and I owned a Korean restaurant, she and her mother did the cooking and I just helped out when they got busy after I got home from teaching. I chopped stuff but didn't cook Korean. I didn't have to when I could just ask for it.  After she and her family left, I started to learn to cook Korean for my son who was only about 4 at the time.  He likes to cook now and knows more about the food of his heritage than I do.  BTW here is a picture of my son and a picture of a chef from the book. 

11872179_10207393113763328_4832424845839112960_o.jpg

DSCN3560.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 10

• 1 year later...

@Norm Matthews Your son looks like you! It's uncanny.

And he's way better looking than David Chang, if that's what you're inferring.

I just got this book and I've looked it over several times, but nothing has piqued my interest. He uses so much butter!

He uses Benton bacon in his kimchi fried rice with butter-gochujang! That sounds so insane, frivolous and delicious at the same time, I might just try it.

• Thanks 1

I too got this book after Norm’s post and some other articles read about the book.

First of all I had to find a lot of ingredients, which I now have.

Next up, from page 244, Seoul Train.

Found this but have not found Soju yetxD

Soju.   Available here in Ontario. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, that looks like fun.  But you probably have to be under 25 years olds to participate fully.:B

i really enjoy the introductions to the recipes...love cookbooks that include intros.

i would like like to try the pancakes.  We had a shrimp pancake at a Nice family Korean restaurant in Kelowna.  I bought the batter mix.

Also found the curry powder which I would also like to make to compare with all the other curries I usually make.

The broiled squid on page 126 also appeals.