• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any experience with those microwaves that also bake conventionally?

gfweb

We are inching closer to a kitchen re-do and are compulsing over ovens.

A number of companies have microwaves that also have a convection oven feature, which seems pretty sweet.

Any advice?

• Like 2

I'm watching too . . .  our (wall) m/w over std oven under died - just today got a new one installed. 

the m/w has the top 'broiler' like coil. 

I need to read the instructions . . . and I'm a male!

• Like 1

I have GE Advantium 1.7 cu.  I do not have an oven.  GE is plenty of an oven for me.  It fits 13 by 16 roasting pan and 12 inch cast iron skillet nicely.  It can microwave, convection bake, broil.  There is also speed cook option that I never use and should have bought a model without it.  Cost is around 1000 but IIRC there was some rebate offer.  

Love it!

image.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 1

I have had two of the Sharp convection/microwave ovens - the first one lasted 18 years and the second last 11 years - died a couple of months ago - my fault - something spilled and ran over the edges of the tray and flooded the bottom, including the turntable drive area, which began sparking and welded the metal carrier to the bottom of the metal tray.  I immediately turned it off and unplugged it.

I haven't yet got around to replacing it, because I have another microwave and my Cadco oven. 

However I will.  I like the versatility.  

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

nice looking stuff.

@gfweb  

but please tell me the second oven is going to have steam.

maybe you could take a business trip to visit PedroG in CH and steal his ElectroLux  ?

I know that what's available is a bit small, smaller that PG's, and far from free.

but after one use, well , there it is.

drop something else in the budget to get Steam.

• Like 1

Not the long term experience you're after, but I stayed in a vacation rental that had a wall oven stack consisting of:  an Advantium oven, similar to the one that @chefmd showed, an regular electric oven with convection and a warming drawer.  

Over the course of 10 days, we did a lot of cooking for small and large gatherings and liked that combination.  I wish I had been aware before I replaced my double wall ovens.

• Like 1

he's got two of the same oven, one with a door, and one without a door.....

I've had a 5 decade long affliction for bread baking - so I have long thought about a steam injection oven....,

it's over a full basement, I could run water&drains without breaking much of a sweat.

however comma sigh,,, hanging around the baking sites, no one has much good to say about them.

so - I'm back to ice cubes in the cast iron pan . . .

I've had my GE combination microwave/convection oven for about 8 years now and really like it. It's my second oven for when I need to bake a side dish or dessert while the main oven is busy. And it has a feature that uses both microwave and convection that will cook baked potatoes in 30 minutes - I like them cooked this way better than microwaved only. I also like that it doesn't heat up the kitchen as much as big oven does, so I'll use it if I just have one small thing to bake, or just want a couple potatoes for dinner. 

• Like 1

We had one but the downside was that, even if only the oven feature was on, the turntable would spin and the fan would be on such that it was the same noise as running it in microwave mode. Microwaves are fine for 2 - 3 minutes but the same noise level over an hour could get pretty unbearable. We ended up rarely using the oven feature in favor of the conventional oven.

• Like 2

PS: I am a guy.

@rotuts It is the same oven, first picture with door open showing full size roasting pan inside (may be bragging a little since it is Mauviel).  My second oven is Cuisinart steam boy.

@AlaMoi  You are correct about the oven but I am a girl (OK, middle age woman) :)

• Like 2

I just installed a DACOR convection microwave and it's my second one. It was expensive. I believe that it is a rebranded sharp but sure works well. Its the over the range style. Gives me 2 ovens to use (microwave and range). With just the wife and I in the house, it gets used as an over quite a bit. Kinda hard to clean though. 

The thing to remember though is that is microwave, convection, or both together (way cool). The DACOR one does not have any conventional oven capability but this has not been a showstopper for up.

mark

• Like 1

On 6/4/2016 at 4:19 PM, rotuts said:

nice looking stuff.

@gfweb  

but please tell me the second oven is going to have steam.

maybe you could take a business trip to visit PedroG in CH and steal his ElectroLux  ?

I know that what's available is a bit small, smaller that PG's, and far from free.

but after one use, well , there it is.

drop something else in the budget to get Steam.

Been looking at built-in steamers. About 4K for the least of them. The cooking chamber is small...I can't imagine a turkey in there. And they have limited water supplies which limit cooking time.The plumbed ones are around 6-8K.

So its looking grim