• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Cake Recipe: Tight crumb spice cake

gfron1

I am looking for a cake recipe. I want to match Pierre Hermes cocoa cake texture. Tight crumb sponge cake. But I want a spice cake. Any thoughts?

And for shits and grins I'm wondering - It shouldn't work but...the PH recipe calls for 8% cocoa powder to the whole recipe. What if I simply subbed with spice? The larger question is what role cocoa powder has in cake structure?

Depending on the brand, cocoa powder can contain quite a bit of fat -Moreso than most spices. It's ground finer than most spice, so the texture is finer. I'd just sub cake flour for all but about 1 oz and make that ½oz spices plus ½oz oil.

IMO, 8% spice would be practically inedible and possibly dangerous, depending on the spice. The oil in cloves can burn the skin if it's in high enough concentration. A roommate of mine, years ago, burned herself by putting a bunch of it in a bath. Cinnamon would also be potentially painful, and large amounts of nutmeg, while not as hallucinogenic as rumored, can also be toxic.

• Like 2

Wild thought here, in light of Lisa's comments on cocoa fat and on spice concentration: suppose you used mesquite flour in place of some of that spice? No fat that I know, and a spicy flavor, but AFAIK not hazardous in concentrations like the spices she noted.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

What spices were you thinking of? I do not have any PH books to see his structure, so am just trying to visualise something along the lines of a fine pound cake (a fine structure) with cocoa and spices - cinnamon, ginger and a touch of nutmeg should make the taste buds tingle but would they compliment the cocoa?

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Pound would be too much butter, but that crumb is similar. I went ahead and did the cocoa cake and burred my spices with sugar totaling 60 g (v. 85 g) and it wasn't too spicy. We'll see when I cut into it tomorrow if the crumb is correct. Thanks and I'll report back.

• Like 3