• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

Thanks for the Crepes and kayb - I agree that, on the micro level, and for some of the world's population, there have been/are/and will be (for quite some time), benefits from globalisation. Those of us who care have been exposed to so many more food cultures and ingredients than we ever had access to before. 'Our' world, in the short term, has been enriched. Believe me, I think those of us in North America are actually the truly lucky ones right now - we are getting probably the most real benefit for the time being. And we who frequent places like eGullet probably have benefitted most - because we have enquiring minds about foods, techniques and ingredients from around the world and are eager to try new things - and to notice, applaud, and want to experience different cultures, even if vicariously, through food.

This is not necessarily true for the 'masses' though. The world's population continues to grow (so more to feed), the availability of good farming land decreases, the quality of the dirt decreases as time goes on (leading to fewer actual nutrients in the food - growing controversy ... is your food really as nutritious as it used to be, as the labels purport it to be, even if it smells/looks/tastes good?), more and more chemicals are used to prop up poor soils, shorten growing times and increase yields, fish that is still affordable for many is farmed and plied with antibiotics or captured from polluted waters, trade agreements mean that we no longer really know where many foods come from and how they were grown, etc., and what used to be locally produced and quickly consumed (i.e. fresh) foods are being shipped back and forth around the world for 'processing' purposes, now possible because of faster and cheaper transportation and 'preservatives' (both with 'additives' and with preservation 'techniques' to keep foods looking fresh or have them arrive at your store not looking as though they travelling thousands of miles from their place of origin). The small producer is, over time, being shut out while corporate conglomerates with the real power and money take deeper hold on the food world - and the food of the world - with profit as their motivator.

Even in the western world, cities (by government and corporate design) get larger and larger and as they do, the people in them, while it seems some can and will always find a way to access 'farmer's markets' or grow their own indoors, are 'moved' further and further away from the source of their foods. Busy lives mean that people eat on the run - and many no longer know how to cook. There are always exceptions to the rules of course - we get mini-trend bumps (back to the earth organic and 'fresh to your door' food 'kits') but the long term trends don't look that good to me. Most don't have the time, inclination, training or place to try growing their own - and many (most) young people no longer even have memories of anyone in their families doing that. They rely on media to tell them what is 'good to eat' and where to find it. I wish it were the case, but I don't think that most people are even able to participate in a food revolution and go back to the future. Their heads are buried in their iPhones and they are, more than they know, controlled in almost every aspect of their lives. I'd like to be optimistic but it is difficult when one actually pays attention to what is happening around the world.

Countries like India now have KFC's. Mickey D's and Burger Kings abound in places around the world where one would never have imagined they might - and whole groups of people around the globe who have never had obesity and related issues are getting fatter as they lose their unique traditions and lifestyles and slowly adopt ours. There are very few isolated/insulated cultures any more. Even in Paris, the stores are filled with more processed foods than ever before. I am pretty sure that is the case in many other cities and countries around the world these days. We are as much spreading (the not so good parts of) our culture to places where the lifestyle, while perhaps 'poor' in some of our eyes, was for generations rich in healthy eating because of their unique local diets and flora, as they are bringing the best of theirs to us. And unfortunately, I suspect that our influence abroad will be longer lasting and more pervasive than theirs will be here. As people move around the world, while at first they bring their traditions and enrich our lives, in time those are diluted and modified, as they integrate and assimilate and have to use ingredients and cooking techniques, etc. easily available to them in whatever new place they now inhabit.

Everyone is equal now is being interpreted to mean that everyone must be, eat, learn, think, grow the 'same'. Watch the trends in other areas of our lives - 'differences' are becoming anathema, not advantages to be admired and celebrated and preserved. Yes, there is a major battle in progress that can make that seem otherwise but in the end the greater goal is actually homogeneity. To say more about that here would be too 'political' so I won't go there but I don't think we will all be richer for it in the future. Personal opinion, but I don't happen to think globalism is necessarily a 'good thing', especially when all of us (in the food arena) over time will have to move towards the lowest common denominator - processed foods and foods from depleted soils - most likely. Not perhaps in my generation or my children's generation or even their children's ... but we are moving in that direction.

Some will always eat well - no matter what - but that number will be fewer and fewer over time I suspect. The continuum to me looks as though in time the pendulum, barring a major world reset, will swing back to mediocrity ... Chef Boyardee (in North America) > true Italian sauces and homemade pastas (in Italy and then in many places around the world) > Chef Boyardee (everywhere). I am not sure it is in the 'power of ordinary people' to change this any more. But, I truly hope I am wrong!

Anyway .. perhaps this is a subject for another thread. I had no intent to derail. Back to Paris. I am glad that Orbit and her husband were able to have this eye-opening experience there - and to savour at least some of the uniqueness of what is left of the European food culture. Viva la difference! :) 

Deryn

Deryn

Thanks for the Crepes and kayb - I agree that, on the micro level, and for some of the world's population, there have been/are/and will be (for quite some time), benefits from globalisation. Those of us who care have been exposed to so many more food cultures and ingredients than we ever had access to before. 'Our' world, in the short term, has been enriched. Believe me, I think those of us in North America are actually the truly lucky ones right now - we are getting probably the most real benefit for the time being. And we who frequent places like eGullet probably have benefitted most - because we have enquiring minds about foods, techniques and ingredients from around the world and are eager to try new things - and to notice, applaud, and want to experience different cultures, even if vicariously, through food.

This is not necessarily true for the 'masses' though. The world's population continues to grow (so more to feed), the availability of good farming land decreases, the quality of the dirt decreases as time goes on (leading to fewer actual nutrients in the food - growing controversy ... is your food really as nutritious as it used to be, as the labels purport it to be, even if it smells/looks/tastes good?), more and more chemicals are used to prop up poor soils, shorten growing times and increase yields, fish that is still affordable for many is farmed and plied with antibiotics or captured from polluted waters, trade agreements mean that we no longer really know where many foods come from and how they were grown, etc., and what used to be locally produced and quickly consumed (i.e. fresh) foods are being shipped back and forth around the world for 'processing' purposes, now possible because of faster and cheaper transportation and 'preservatives' (both with 'additives' and with preservation 'techniques' to keep foods looking fresh or have them arrive at your store not looking as though they travelling thousands of miles from their place of origin). The small producer is, over time, being shut out while corporate conglomerates with the real power and money take deeper hold on the food world - and the food of the world - with profit as their motivator.

Even in the western world, cities (by government and corporate design) get larger and larger and as they do, the people in them, while it seems some can and will always find a way to access 'farmer's markets' or grow their own indoors, are 'moved' further and further away from the source of their foods. Busy lives mean that people eat on the run - and many no longer know how to cook. There are always exceptions to the rules of course - we get mini-trend bumps (back to the earth organic and 'fresh to your door' food 'kits') but the long term trends don't look that good to me. Most don't have the time, inclination, training or place to try growing their own - and many (most) young people no longer even have memories of anyone in their families doing that. They rely on media to tell them what is 'good to eat' and where to find it. I wish it were the case, but I don't think that most people are even able to participate in a food revolution and go back to the future. Their heads are buried in their iPhones and they are, more than they know, controlled in almost every aspect of their lives. I'd like to be optimistic but it is difficult when one actually pays attention to what is happening around the world.

Countries like India now have KFC's. Mickey D's and Burger Kings abound in places around the world where one would never have imagined they might - and whole groups of people around the globe who have never had obesity and related issues are getting fatter as they lose their unique traditions and lifestyles and slowly adopt ours. There are very few isolated/insulated cultures any more. Even in Paris, the stores are filled with more processed foods than ever before. I am pretty sure that is the case in many other cities and countries around the world these days. We are as much spreading (the not so good parts of) our culture to places where the lifestyle, while perhaps 'poor' in some of our eyes, was for generations rich in healthy eating because of their unique local diets and flora, as they are bringing the best of theirs to us. And unfortunately, I suspect that our influence abroad will be longer lasting and more pervasive than theirs will be here. As people move around the world, while at first they bring their traditions and enrich our lives, in time those are diluted and modified, as they integrate and assimilate and have to use ingredients and cooking techniques, etc. easily available to them in whatever new place they now inhabit.

Everyone is equal now is being interpreted to mean that everyone must be, eat, learn, think, grow the 'same'. Watch the trends in other areas of our lives - 'differences' are becoming anathema, not advantages to be admired and celebrated and preserved. Yes, there is a major battle in progress that can make that seem otherwise but in the end the greater goal is actually homogeneity. To say more about that here would be too 'political' so I won't go there but I don't think we will all be richer for it in the future. Personal opinion, but I don't happen to think globalism is necessarily a 'good thing', especially when all of us (in the food arena) over time will have to move towards the lowest common denominator - processed foods and foods from depleted soils - most likely. Not perhaps in my generation or my children's generation or even their children's ... but we are moving in that direction.

Some will always eat well - no matter what - but that number will be fewer and fewer over time I suspect. The continuum to me looks as though in time the pendulum, barring a major world reset, will swing back to mediocrity ... Chef Boyardee > true Italian sauces and homemade pastas > Chef Boyardee. I am not sure it is in the 'power of ordinary people' to change this any more. But, I truly hope I am wrong!

Anyway .. perhaps this is a subject for another thread. I had no intent to derail. Back to Paris. I am glad that Orbit and her husband were able to have this eye-opening experience there - and to savour at least some of the uniqueness of what is left of the European food culture. Viva la difference! :) 

Deryn

Deryn

Everyone is equal now is being interpreted to mean that everyone must be, eat, learn, think, grow the 'same'. Watch the trends in other areas of our lives - 'differences' are becoming anathema, not advantages, to be admired and celebrated and preserved. Yes, there is a major battle in progress that can make that seem otherwise but in the end the greater goal is actually homogeneity. To say more about that here would be too 'political' so I won't go there but I don't think we will all be richer for it in the future. Personal opinion, but I don't happen to think globalism is necessarily a 'good thing', especially when all of us (in the food arena) over time will have to move towards the lowest common denominator - processed foods and foods from depleted soils - most likely. Not perhaps in my generation or my children's generation or even their children's ... but we are moving in that direction.

Some will always eat well - no matter what - but that number will be fewer and fewer over time I suspect. The continuum to me looks as though in time the pendulum, barring a major world reset, will swing back to mediocrity ... Chef Boyardee > true Italian sauces and homemade pastas > Chef Boyardee. I am not sure it is in the 'power of ordinary people' to change this any more. But, I truly hope I am wrong!