• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

I also think food culture is moving slowly in a better direction in this country.

It is led by educated consumers in spite of the obstacles erected by our Big Ag lobby, and government's willingness to roll over for them. There are so many things in our mainstream food that are banned outright in the EU. The resistance by Big Ag to even properly label foods shows that they know they will lose revenue if consumers are informed.

Walmart is responding with more organic produce and natural foods. Even fast food outlets are making changes by removing unnatural ingredients and offering healthier choices, as customers vote with their feet and wallets.

If one has plenty of money and time, it's possible to get natural whole foods outside the mainstream. What is most heartening to me is that we continue to see major changes in that mainstream, which is going to benefit a lot more of us. When the huge fast food giants move to cage free eggs, antibiotic, hormone-free meats, less additives, and so on, it will affect what we buy in the grocery store, because they are using such a huge chunk of what is consumed in this country. It will take time, especially with the government efforts to impede it, but in the end we are capitalist country. Big companies have already changed for the better because they are interested in helping their bottom line. The consumer movement for healthier, more wholesome foods will win out, I think. More folks are getting on board every day. We have a long way to go, but all is not lost.

That said, from what I've read about it, it's much easier in France or Italy to find top quality ingredients for your dinner than it is here.

I also think food culture is moving slowly in a better direction in this country.

It is led by educated consumers in spite of the obstacles erected by our Big Ag lobby, and government's willingness to roll over for them. There are so many things in our mainstream food that are banned outright in the EU. The resistance by Big Ag to even properly label foods shows that they know they will lose revenue if consumers are informed.

Walmart is responding with more organic produce and natural foods. Even fast food outlets are making changes by removing unnatural ingredients and offering healthier choices, as customers vote with their feet and wallets.

If one has plenty of money and time, it's possible to get natural whole foods outside the mainstream. What is most heartening to me is that we continue to see major changes in that mainstream, which is going to benefit a lot more of us. When the huge fast food giants move to cage free eggs, antibiotic, hormone-free meats, less additives, and so on, it will affect what we buy in the grocery store, because they are using such a huge chunk of what is consumed in this country. It will take time, especially with the government efforts to impede it, but in the end we are capitalist country. Big companies have already changed for the better because they are interested in helping their bottom line. The consumer movement for healthier, more wholesome foods will win out, I think. More folks are getting on board every day. We have a long way to go, but all is not lost.

That said, from what I've read about it, it's much easier in France or Italy to find top quality ingredients for your dinner that it is here.