• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

I think there is an extreme dichotomy and some mythology going on here. I have encountered lousy food in Europe and great food in the US. And wonderful food in Europe and awful, inedible food in the US. (However, after spending quite a bit of time in Germany and Austria, if anyone offers me a potato dumpling I will probably throw it at them. But that's just me.) The mythology does have a thread of reality - but wander through European supermarkets whether in Germany, France or the UK and you will find a lot of the same (often processed) foods you see in American supermarkets. And many American farmer's markets - now present in many towns even as small as mine - have offerings of wonderful fresh veggies and fruit. I think that idealizing one countries cuisine over another's neglects the  normal (as opposed to tourist) experience. 

And, I would add, some of my best meals in American and European cities were in hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Thanks to my daughter who is brilliant at seeking them out. 

ElainaA

ElainaA

I think there is an extreme dichotomy and some mythology going on here. I have encountered lousy food in Europe and great food in the US. And wonderful food in Europe and awful, inedible food in the US. (However, after spending quite a bit of time in Germany and Austria, if anyone offers me a potato dumpling I will probably throw it at them. But that's just me.) The mythology does have a thread of reality - but wander through European supermarkets whether in Germany, France or the UK and you will find a lot of the same foods you see in American supermarkets. And many American farmer's markets - now present in many towns even as small as mine - have offerings of wonderful fresh veggies and fruit. I think that idealizing one countries cuisine over another's neglects the  normal (as opposed to tourist) experience. 

And, I would add, some of my best meals in American and European cities were in hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Thanks to my daughter who is brilliant at seeking them out. 

ElainaA

ElainaA

I think there is an extreme dichotomy and some mythology going on here. I have encountered lousy food in Europe and great food in the US. And wonderful food in Europe and awful, inedible food in the US. (However, after spending quite a bit of time in Germany and Austria, if anyone offers me a potato dumpling I will probably throw it at them. But that's just me.) The mythology does have a thread of reality - but wander through European supermarkets whether in Germany, France or the UK and you will find a lot of the same foods you see in American supermarkets. And many American farmer's markets - now present in many towns even as small as mine - have offerings of wonderful fresh veggies and fruit. I think that idealizing one countries cuisine over another's neglects the  normal (as opposed to tourist) experience.