• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit base sorbet powder

austin1999

I've purchased several times a pre-mixed bag of fruit based sorbet powder the ingredients listed on the bag are whole milk powder, dehydrated palm oil, dextrose/maltose the bag weighs 500 grams my question does anyone know the % of each ingredient in the mix so i can make it myself and if i can substitute something for the palm oil in powder form thanks.

What country are you based in? Do you recall the brand?

It seems like a very odd thing, as neither dairy products nor oils are usually in sorbet. (at least with the American definition) It's generally fruit puree, simple syrup and possibly an acid, and possibly stabilizers. My basic formula is a quart of fruit puree, a quart of simple syrup, and 2oz lemon juice. Check the brix and add more lemon or syrup to get to 26Bx, and spin. Lime juice may be substituted.

thanks substitute version, it is a company in Bangkok that sells their own brands, chef is italian, who ownes company, someone told me to substitute coconut oil or olive oil i will try to post pic of the label thx

I'd recommend a standard sorbet stabilizer. Ideally you want one without dairy (you want it to stay sorbet-like. You can always add dry milk powder to ingredients that are especially low on solids, like citrus) and without gelatin (which works great in sorbets, but people expect them to be vegetarian). The ingredients you mention mostly add solids and bulk, and emulsify some oil. I'd try something that uses hydrocolloids that form a gel. The mix will get pudding-like when it chills, and then you blend it to break the gel and freeze it in a machine. It will have more creaminess and body than an unstabilized sorbet, and a lot less iciness.

This formula's an idea based on a couple of previous experiments I've done (but I'm not finished with this project yet ... so there's probably room for improvement).

4: 2 : 1 : 1:

Locust bean gum : guar gum : lambda carrageenan : kappa carrageenan

Use between 0.2% and 0.3%

Notes from the underbelly

On June 4, 2016 at 11:57 AM, paulraphael said:

4: 2 : 1 : 1:

Locust bean gum : guar gum : lambda carrageenan : kappa carrageenan

Use between 0.2% and 0.3%

I've been playing with this, and don't think it's good enough. Kappa carrageenan gives the wrong texture and lacks freeze-thaw stability.

I'm now trying

4: 2 : 2 : 1

Locust bean gum : guar gum : iota carrageenan : lambda carrageenan

Notes from the underbelly