• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

Tere, that they make with mackerel pike looks good. Saw these fish at the markets in Hokkaido in September.

-----------

Just a little lunch today. Turkish figs and Jamon Serrano Reserva. Plus bread.

3RXxz9h.jpg

And some unpasteurised hard cheese

EAkkF0w.jpg

• Like 12

Chefmd, I've made it so many times I don't even use a recipe anymore. I use more sugar than salt as I prefer it less salty and even if there's more sugar it's still not sweet in the end. Grated beetroots will add extra sweetness to the marinade. Experiement with amounts of salt and sugar. Btw, the amounts will depend on how big your fish is. Don't forget dill. The marinade has to completely cover the fish. Cover with cling film and weigh down.

I also add chopped juniper berries and scotch to mine.

Check out a recipe here. Experiment with ingredients. It's crazy easy to make. You'll never buy it from a shop again. Your own will be far more delicious! Good luck!

• Like 1

I rarely post on this thread since my lunches are extremely boring. However, today was Eurocar - the one car event to which I always go with my husband. He shows his car (a 1970 Porsche 914) and I make a picnic lunch. For a car show dedicated to European sports cars the food on offer is terrible - hot dogs (not even Hoffman Snappy Grillers - the iconic central NY hot dog), hamburgers, salt potatoes.Previous years that was it. This year there was a vendor with a mobil, wood fired pizza oven - a huge improvement. But we still had my picnic. 

A salad with greens from my garden, chicken, avocado, fennel, red onion, cherry tomatoes and pea shoots with a variation on green goddess dressing, using a yogurt base. Plus some bread I baked yesterday. I did a trial run of this a few weeks ago so you may have seen it on the dinner thread. We always take champagne, which may or may not be legal.

IMG_20160619_124409.jpg

Dessert was a sponge cake with sweetened, home made ricotta between the layers with strawberries and whipped cream. This was my first venture into making ricotta. It tasted really good but was far from the required 'spreadable' texture.

IMG_20160619_132710.jpg

(And my husband's car took 3rd place in his class.:D)

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 20

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

@ProfessionalHobbit Now that's a real lunch! Both icecreams sound delicious, the pineapple one made me think of roasted pineapple pina-colda.

My launch was bucatini with previously frozen pesto, and a soft boiled egg, for some protein and extra yums.

20160621_205812.jpg

I think I should start freezing more pasta sauces, to have them on hand.

• Like 11

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

Hamburger Helper. Well not quite. A beef and macaroni casserole made from scratch. Still not sure what possessed me. 

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, shain said:

@ProfessionalHobbit Now that's a real lunch! Both icecreams sound delicious, the pineapple one made me think of roasted pineapple pina-colda.

My launch was bucatini with previously frozen pesto, and a soft boiled egg, for some protein and extra yums.

20160621_205812.jpg

I think I should start freezing more pasta sauces, to have them on hand.

That was at my favorite ice cream parlor in San Francisco, http://theicecreambarsf.com/ 

Worth checking out if you're in town.

Nice pasta.

• Like 1

Ive been making toasties for lunch if not dinner recently :

Toasty.jpg

EM, olive oil, tomato, Tj's parsesain-ish chili flakes green tabasco 

very easy, and tasty

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 12

From the other day. Leftover roasted vegetables from the Lebanese Kitchen as posted in the dinner thread, water bath chicken ziplocced at 60 degrees for as long as I went raiding with my gaming clan (probably about 2 hours), lemon tahini dressing that was the start point for the lamb and tahini curry sauce in the dinner thread, and Tere's first salad TM :)

IMG_7048 (640x480).jpg

• Like 11

image.jpeg

A very simple salad with zoodles, white onion, grape tomatoes, blue cheese dressing and Sous sous vide chicken breast (63 C for one and a half hours from frozen).

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

20 hours ago, rotuts said:

Ive been making toasties for lunch if not dinner recently :

Toasty.jpg

EM, olive oil, tomato, Tj's parsesain-ish chili flakes green tabasco 

very easy, and tasty

Mmmmm... ghetto pizza! It's so easy, and so good. I haven't made any in a long time, and need to correct that tout de suite, but I have to purchase English muffins first. They are on the list. :)

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

Gosh, I should be following this topic more carefully. 

You know, I don't think I ever need a new cookbook. I'm getting almost every new recipe from the internet, viz: today's lunch:Polish Cabbage-Potato-Casserole from About.com. It was called 'comfort' food and man, it was. I can also imagine this in the winter. A new dish on our roster.  (We did quadrupled the cheese...DH's order and next time we use a sharper cheese.)

Darienne McAuley's photo.

• Like 8

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Western sandwich on a toasted English muffin with a cup of fresh Jersey strawberries that smelled and tasted like strawberries!!  Still have some and think they might go well over some vanilla ice cream.

Now off to make some stuffed mushrooms - the Lidia Bastianich one from her latest book.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpeg

Shallots, mushrooms, sliced black garlic and a splash of cream over pasta. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Pasta "salad" (I prefer to think of it as a room temp pasta dish). With roasted bell pepper, sirene cheese, kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes, fresh oregano & basil, olive oil and wine vineger.

20160624_125316.jpg
Really quite good, I didn't want anything other then it this lunch.

• Like 5

~ Shai N.