• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

Quick cooked shakshuka (as opposed to my usual slow cooked). Had a really good leftover tomato and bell pepper on hand (only one of each...), so I tough an almost no-cooked preparation will be appropriate (and also faster to make :D). Two very soft eggs, mopped up with some re-crisped frozen challa bread. Yum.

20160601_194438.jpg20160601_194114.jpg

• Like 11

~ Shai N.

Another quesadilla.  Instant Pot pork - pulled and moistened with red chile adobo (from More Mexican Everyday), sautéed  spinach, mushrooms and onions, a little cotija and jack cheese, garnished with crema and more red chile adobo.  Served with slaw and some of the Yucatán-Style Pickled Red Onions in Sour-Orange Juice I saw on Serious Eats the other day. 

IMG_3015.jpg

The onion are a tasty condiment.  I was going to put some of them inside the quesadilla but wanted them cool and crunchy rather than hot and limp.  I'll try incorporating some next time as I can always have more on the side.  And there will be a next time as there's plenty more of that pork in the freezer :D!

• Like 9

image.jpeg

Salad with sous vide tri-tip steak. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Deb's grandson paid us a visit over the weekend to go swimming down at the town beach on the  lake. One of the few foods he will eat, Tyson Anytizer Chicken Fries is always sent along with him. Today, I spotted them in the fridge and decided to see what all the excitement over them is about. He pairs them with ketchup for dipping, but I chose a leftover garlic and lemon aioli.

IMG_0954.JPG

My take: Clearly, the lad is in need of counsel. These are an extruded, homogenized, chicken product.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

Deb's grandson paid us a visit over the weekend to go swimming down at the town beach on the  lake. One of the few foods he will eat, Tyson Anytizer Chicken Fries is always sent along with him. Today, I spotted them in the fridge and decided to see what all the excitement over them is about. He pairs them with ketchup for dipping, but I chose a leftover garlic and lemon aioli.

IMG_0954.JPG

My take: Clearly the lad is in need of counsel. These are an extruded homogenized chicken product.

HC

You are very brave.

• Like 5

Inspired by the bravery of @HungryChris and his consumption of unfamiliar chicken products,  I paid my first visit to an actual Chick-fil-A store and picked up a late lunch:

IMG_3029.jpg

Honestly, I had my first Chick-fil-A sandwich a couple of months ago while I was staying in Houston and the hospital cafeteria boasted a Chick-fil-A station so this was actually my second sandwich but my first visit to one of their restaurants.

I don't plan to make it a regular thing but I may have to go back at least one more time as I didn't see the peach milkshakes on the menu until after I paid and a peach milkshake sounds very nice.  Probably too sweet, but I'm curious.

• Like 8

More Cape Cod lunching, this time at Winslow's Tavern, a lovely building in the center of Wellfleet with an outdoor patio.  Roasted oysters with tabasco lime butter

winslows oysters.jpg

Panino with tomato chutney, arugula pesto, and aged cheddar 

winslows tomato panini.jpg

Pulled pork sandwich

pig mac.jpg

Spinach salad with smoked chicken

winslows spinach salad.jpg

Chocolate cake

winslows chocolate strega.jpg

Chocolate mousse

winslows mousse.jpg

Salted caramel tart

winslows caramelk tart.jpg

• Like 11

One of the things I enjoy about topics like this is the range of ideas that inspire me: from simple, like many of the salads that turn up here, to the head-slap 'why didn't I think of that' of roasted oysters with Tabasco lime butter.  @liamsaunt, that chocolate mousse looks like it was scoop-rolled from double layers.  What was the white layer? 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Inspired by the bravery of @HungryChris and his consumption of unfamiliar chicken products,  I paid my first visit to an actual Chick-fil-A store and picked up a late lunch:

Honestly, I had my first Chick-fil-A sandwich a couple of months ago while I was staying in Houston and the hospital cafeteria boasted a Chick-fil-A station so this was actually my second sandwich but my first visit to one of their restaurants.

I don't plan to make it a regular thing but I may have to go back at least one more time as I didn't see the peach milkshakes on the menu until after I paid and a peach milkshake sounds very nice.  Probably too sweet, but I'm curious.

I don't like Chick Fil A's food, but their lemonade is superb.

Forgot to take a photo of my lunch yesterday -- bacon and tomato sandwich with jail slaw on fresh whole wheat bread. Quite good.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Sabich with grilled (as opposed to fried) eggplants, hard boiled eggs, chopped tomato, pickled cucumber, onion, tahini sauce, zchug, amba sauce, parsley and spices. All inside a warm, soft and fluffy pita bread.

20160528_125423.jpg20160528_125113.jpg20160528_124113.jpg

Apologies for bad photos.

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

@shain, that's lovely. Did you make your pita? If so, would you kindly share your recipe?

I had more salads made from assorted leftovers: black beans with the rest of the roasted corn, homemade ricotta in place of fresh mozzarella (since I didn't have any) on the half-tomato left from yesterday's BLT, and cottage cheese with a bit of fresh pineapple that was just before going south on me. Fine lunch.

salads 060316.JPG

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb Thank you very much. I'm afraid I haven't yet succeeded baking a pita as good as those I can by in the nearby bakery, so the one in the photo is from over there. The problem is that baking a good pita bread requires a very hot oven, much like Neapolitan pizza (there is much similarity, if you think about it). I want to buy a small home-use pizza oven (it's essentially a large aluminium put with a strong electric grill), in hope to get better results.

~ Shai N.

My oven thermometer says that 440 - 450F, with a baking stone, is hot enough to get a good, puffy pita.  (I've done it on stovetop too, but I seem to get more reliable results using an oven.) Here are some discussions about making pita: 

Perfect khoubz (Pita Bread) - getting a good puff

The pocket in pita

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

image.jpeg

Mushroom ragu over tagliatelle.   The ragu improved after an overnight stay in the refrigerator and boosted with a generous dusting of Parmesan was quite tolerable.  My photography seems to be worse today than usual. 

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 6/4/2016 at 4:09 PM, Smithy said:

My oven thermometer says that 440 - 450F, with a baking stone, is hot enough to get a good, puffy pita.  (I've done it on stovetop too, but I seem to get more reliable results using an oven.) Here are some discussions about making pita: 

Perfect khoubz (Pita Bread) - getting a good puff

The pocket in pita

The problem is not with the pocket, it's with the texture of the bread itself. As with pizza, a lower temp means a longer bake which results and a drier and more chewy dough. Home ovens are also lacking the steam injector that is used in commercial bakeries.

Just for compression, on the left is a (semi)random photo from Google (source) , showing an average pita. On the right is a pita from my favorite pita bakery. The difference in thickness and texture is quite visible.
IMG_6879.JPG20160401_114638.jpg

I don't think an home oven can compare with a dedicated one. But just in case someone knows how to get this kind of crumb, please do tell me! :)

On another note, yesterdays lunch was a pasta bake with mushrooms, cream cheese and chives.

20160604_135956.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 4

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

A late lunch/afternoon snack assembled from the leftovers of the appetizer I brought to a gathering last night:

IMG_3049.jpg

Baked ricotta with rosemary and lemon on toasted olive bread, kalamata olives with lemon zest and candied rosemary hazelnuts.

Kalamata and ricotta! MMMmmmmmm!!! :)

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Matar paneer with noodles. 

image.jpeg

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

From yesterday, what I made with a package of "white sausages".

8CLoypB.jpg

Wanted to make "Hoppelpoppel"* originally but then realised I ran out of potatoes so it became this: scrambled eggs with asparagus and white sausages. (*A dish known in Berlin. Basically how Berliners use up leftovers from the day before.)

al8IurG.jpg

Chives in everything. I have lots and must use them up asap.

YKYDuXm.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 8

@BonVivant, each of your posts is a little adventure with so much to look at and admire.  Beautiful job!

For something much less scenic, I offer you .... beans on toast:

IMG_3053.jpg

Toasted olive bread topped with RG alubia blanca beans tossed with some artichoke lemon pesto. I mixed up the pesto with the intent of making a pasta dish. Then I used a bit of bread to taste it for seasoning and then ended up with this.  Maybe there will be pasta later.....

• Like 8