• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

@sartoric I missed the third word in your post first time round and became very concerned!

Lovely lunch. I wouldn't know where to start.

Shades of A Modest Proposal!

• Like 4

@BonVivant

I wonder if it might be a seasonal thing with the mussels. I have also had them with plump bodies. 

image.jpeg

Mushrooms and sugar snaps in cream sauce over pasta.  Trying to use everything up before I leave on Monday.  

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

A couple of lahma bi ajeen really hit the spot for lunch.  A bird chili sliced thin on top took it over the top

Did you make them yourself?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Did you make them yourself?

I make meat mixture but use store bought  flour tortillas which work really well and because I've had them out and sometimes the dough is too thick IMO.  Or maybe I'm just use to them thin 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Shades of A Modest Proposal!

Although, Swift recommended one-year-olds as being optimum eating.

a young healthy child well nursed, is, at a year old, a most delicious nourishing and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricasie, or a ragoust.... A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends, and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt, will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter.

Jonathan Swift - A Modest Proposal

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I give you all a 'Like'

i get good ideas from your posts as well.

This meal is Lamb's liver good to eat and full of everything, Bavarian noodles and stuff.

IMG_3858.jpg

• Like 7

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself. Trying to avoid hints of smugness, though!

After years of trying, I think I finally made a mushroom soup that doesn't look like a muddy swamp harbouring evil creatures from the deep.

Soaked some dried cèpes, chopped them with some regular button mushrooms and some "king oyster (eryngii)" mushrooms and sweated them in olive oil with garlic and shallots. Added a chopped green chilli. Then the strained soaking water from the cèpes (topped up a little). Seasoned and cooked till the mushrooms were soft then blitzed in the processor. A nice, spicy, thick soup with a deep mushroom flavour. 

Served with home made olive bread.

mushroom soup3.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 10/1/2016 at 11:24 AM, Anna N said:

@BonVivant

I wonder if it might be a seasonal thing with the mussels. I have also had them with plump bodies. 

image.jpeg

Mushrooms and sugar snaps in cream sauce over pasta.  Trying to use everything up before I leave on Monday.  

I have to clear my schedule!

• Like 3

Not the most photogenic plate, even with the pomegranate kernels covering it, but it makes up for it with taste.
This is a spread made from sliced eggplant, brushed with olive oil and roasted until browned. It is then blended with toasted walnuts and a little toasted coriander seeds and a touch carob syrup.
Served with toasted bread.

20161003_201443.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 8

~ Shai N.

Business trip to Japan, visiting a joint venture partner. This is the canteen food served at a large petrochemical site in Ciba prefecture, along with the view from said canteen. In late autumn it looks even nicer ... Nice place to work (and eat).

WP_20161006_11_50_31_Pro.jpg

WP_20161006_11_53_44_Pro.jpg

• Like 14

Local battered cod sandwich with pickle spear and steak fries, at a restaurant in Marblehead Harbor, Mass.fish sandwich.jpg

We were sitting by the deck railing, so I had to perch my plate on top of it to take advantage of the background.

The day before, a Reuben from a stand at the Boston Public Market.

sandwich.jpg

With REALLY good spicy pickle chips!

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com