• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

image.jpeg

Bacon, tomato and Hellman's.  Couldn't stuff any more tomato into the sandwich but wasn't going to waste any at all. 

• Like 17

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Okra, stir fried until charred and slow cooked with bell peppers and chili pepper, tomatoes, onion, garlic until tender. Cumin, paprika, parsley.

Freekeh (green wheat groats, lightly smoked over fire) with sauteed mushrooms and mung beans, browned onion, garlic, sage, turmeric, a little cumin. Slightly over cooked, but freekeh/bulgur is tasty both when al-dente and when soft. I whould usually opt for chick peas in this preperation, but had found an old bug of those mung beans in the freezer, it worked quite well.

20160826_141956.jpg20160826_141946.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 7

~ Shai N.

Blistered shishito peppers with kosher salt, cucumber, tomato, avocado and onion salad. with a garlic and dill balsamic vinaigrette. This salad has long been a favorite, but does not look very good in a photo  because of the color. I recently spotted Trader Giotto's white Modena vinegar and the problem is solved. 

HC

IMG_1884.JPGIMG_1883.JPGIMG_1880.JPGIMG_1885.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 8

sooo  how was Giotto's vinegar ?

did you feel you could smell the wild sage, and enjoy the balmy breeze ?

stay the night inn that terra cotta dwelling ?   hope fully w indoor plumping !

Come On its a joke !

sooo  back to brass tacks  :  is this vinegar nice ?

Ill try it.

Of course id rather go to Italy and that cottage.

sigh

• Like 1

Insert Crocodile Dundee* accent: That's not choripan. Now thaaaaat's choripan.
(* Line from the film "That's not a knoife. [draws a large Bowie knife] (Now) that's a knoife.)

PtGcWki.jpg

Bread and sausages have the same colour.

MvJU4V3.jpg

Choripan I had in Argentina. Just some old bloke in an abandoned garden next to the road who sold choripan to passersby.

Ea1Q9AA.jpg

Chewy corn bread sourdough from a bakery inside a windmill near my house.

qwmZfM2.jpg

Got chocolate all over my face and hands eating these. Ricotta and Lindt's 99%. 2 figs down, 8 more to go. (Text in pig: "one eats happy/eating makes happy")

8KyGMbI.jpg

Salmon belly

JPblAiX.jpg

Seaweed comes with the oysters

hrEQPjJ.jpg

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

sooo  how was Giotto's vinegar ?

It is similar enough to work here, but lighter and only slightly sweet.

I enjoyed the salad a lot and will keep this vinegar in stock.

I intend to make a mignonette sauce using it the next time I bring home oysters. 

I have a feeling that would be good.

HC

• Like 2

image.jpeg

would have been zucchini fritters but I didn't have enough zucchini so they are vegetable fritters!  Carrots, scallions and zucchini. 

• Like 13

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Baked baby eggplants with olive oil, garlic, zaatar and lemon. I make a V shaped cut in the bottom of each eggplants and fill them with a mixture of olive oil, lemon, garlic, zaatar and salt. Then they are brushed with a little more oil and baked covered until very soft, and shortly broiled. On the side are onion and chili.

20160826_151111.jpg

• Like 11

~ Shai N.

6 hours ago, shain said:

Baked baby eggplants with olive oil, garlic, zaatar and lemon. I make a V shaped cut in the bottom of each eggplants and fill them with a mixture of olive oil, lemon, garlic, zaatar and salt. Then they are brushed with a little more oil and baked covered until very soft, and shortly broiled. On the side are onion and chili.

20160826_151111.jpg

Brilliant.  We have those little beauties regularly at our grocery store.  Do you bake them in a hot oven?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Brilliant.  We have those little beauties regularly at our grocery store.  Do you bake them in a hot oven?

I'm always worried that they won't soften enough, so I bake them covered for the first half. If baked to long with no cover, the skin might get tough. (20-30 minutes, tightly covered with foil at medium heat, then another 15 minutes under a gentle broiler).

This being said, I have baked them uncovered in the past, and usually they softened fast enough. 30min at 220C (430F) should be good using this method.

They are based served with labaneh (add roasted pine nuts to gild the lily), or tahini sauce.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 3

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

This is a Notta.  It's not a flatbread, it's not a pizza, and it's not a flammekeuchen but a bit of all of them.  The flat bread crust came from Crossroads (the book not the restaurant!).  After rolling it out and docking it I brushed it lightly with some olive oil and then spread on a generous layer of 30% MF sour cream.  I topped that with some roasted mushrooms and onions  and gave it a further drizzle of olive oil. Made for a tasty lunch.  

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

That looks really good, @Anna N!  I got everything out the other day to make a flatbread with figs and blue cheese, a little prosciutto, maybe a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and handful of baby arugula to finish.  Mmmmm.  Then I started eating the figs and the cheese and prosciutto.  And then the figs were all gone.  I will have to try again.

• Like 9

Fresh green-lipped mussels cooked in osmanthus wine (桂花酒 guì huā jiǔ), garlic and shallots and finished with butter. Almost mariniëre. With crusty baguette.

mussels.jpg

The osmanthus wine is unusual. Normally it is made using rice wine which is flavoured with osmanthus

flowers. In this example, they have used a dry white grape wine. The wine is produced in Shaoxing where they make the more well known Shaoxing wine.

guihua jiu.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou

I am less surprised by the wine than by the baguette!  I am assuming it was purchased? 

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou

I am less surprised by the wine than by the baguette!  I am assuming it was purchased? 

Yes, the baguette was from my better local supermarket. I don't buy them often, but I am otherwise breadless while my oven gets its annual fumigation and de-calcification etc. They are OK, if not great. Crusty.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto