• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

1 hour ago, kayb said:

We celebrated good news by stopping at one of our favorite stops, a small-town diner that serves the best barbecued chicken I've ever had. Chicken is smoked, then pulled/chopped and served with a peppery, barely sweet sauce on the side. A decent, if unremarkable, mayo-based slaw and beans that would have been good were it not for the presence of bell peppers. And a piece of lemon icebox pie (not shown) for dessert. I may not eat for a week.

All things taken into account, that must be some remarkable chicken!

2 hours ago, HungryChris said:

All things taken into account, that must be some remarkable chicken!

Let me tell you. That chicken dinner, sans drink, was $5.99. I defy you to find a better meal anywhere at that price. And the chicken is, consistently (I stop there at least once every couple of months, and this is generally my choice) excellent.

News from the doc was good, too. Kid's ears don't require (another) surgery!

ETA: BTW, Pie was extra. Still a bargain.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Lunch at the same restaurant 2 days in a row. Eating here is like at a friend's, who is a good cook (I'd imagine). It's not only about the food, but also the attitude, the philosophy, the house cured charcuterie (which they do all themselves, btw), and the interesting conversations between me and the owners. When I showed up the next day their eyes lit up at once, "you came back". This time we talked a lot more, mostly me answering their "burning questions". Their curiosity was growing faster with each and every of my response. Anyhow, this is the restaurant. Relaxed, informal and utterly unpretencious.

House made charcuterie and Quebecois cheeses.

duFZwpt.jpg

They even has microbrewed beer on tap for me. Didn't expect that. I would have happily ordered wine otherwise.

3cFzU6O.jpg

J4NuBtz.jpg

The menu is very small (5 mains) which the cook goes through each item explaining what is what. When he brought me the offal stew he picked up each piece and told me what they were and from which animal. The bits are from rabbit, chicken and duck.

rZMruIK.jpg

About 4 pairs of the above in total.

H7Oaun6.jpg

Tasted like some fresh water fish. He said he didn't know the English name (of the fish).

dya8ZJW.jpg

Butcher working practically next to my table.

RzAwHBG.jpg

Oink oink...

YFJSf26.jpg

Dining room. These are all the tables.

kJdb7ah.jpg

Old oven behind my table.

FrWbmv0.jpg

Where he keeps the booze

zd7ulai.jpg

The cook's rig.

10pBPch.jpg

Fridge full of their own charcuterie and cheeses from all over Quebec province.

Kv0zuev.jpg

------------

The next day now. It only occurred to me today that between 2pm and 6pm food was not served but both times they didn't mind cooking for me! I arrive shortly after 2pm.

I said I would like some salad without creamy dressing. He made this.

Clptv5R.jpg

Same as yesterday but I didn't mind. I do not say no gratin dauphinois.

YDgP1Vp.jpg

S0OaXUU.jpg

Beef and 2 or 3 kinds of mushrooms in red wine sauce.

Dpa4iBH.jpg

One of the restaurant's specialities.

JKcGOIN.jpg

I've never had blood sausage this good and perfectly cooked.

s1qlrqm.jpg

------

I'm now in Montreal, just arrived today. After 6 days in Quebec City Montreal is too big, too noisy and gritty. I am wondering about the quality of life in this city. It has many of those big cities' problems.

Last photos from Quebec City:

ZmO8U7b.jpg

Montmorency waterfall in focus

hkF3VUK.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 19

We stopped for lunch on the way to see the recently refurbished Trevi Fountain at a little place on one of the narrow streets along the route. Pane Vino e San Daniel. It turns out the owner also owns the San Daniel Vineyard, which based on the house white wine, made a good impression on me.

The most memorable part of the meal was the dish Deb got. It was a polenta with gorgonzola cheese, arugula and toasted, slivered walnuts. This was an

amazing combination that I see myself making as a side dish in summer and, combined with a salad as a main course in winter. If I knew a restaurant near me that offered this, it would always be on my radar.

Polanta dish.png

Of course, Mr truffle and porcini went for fresh tagliatella with  my name sake.

fresh taglietelli with tartufo e porcini.png

I also liked the little clamp on the table ice bucket for the wine.

HC

Table mounted ice bucket.jpg

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 11

image.jpeg!

Lunch yesterday was some sautéed cabbage and onions with a little rice and some chopped up leftover short ribs. 

image.jpeg

Yesterday I was given a gift of corn and green beans and it seemed only right to use them as soon as possible. I just happened to have a tomato on the counter which needed using up and I fancied some orzo and a little of the  Cojita cheese which was also a gift.   The dressing was basically a lime vinaigrette.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 20/09/2016 at 5:58 AM, BonVivant said:

Lunch at Phil's smoked meat. The fat kind of smoked meat was ordered. We found the amounts of meat traumatising. It's quite messy to eat with the hands. The gherkin is salty but not sour, is this the style here? Gherkins are usually more sour than salty.

LcGnoNM.jpg

I would be tempted to say it might be a half sour pickle but generally half sours have a more vibrant green skin and closer to white interior, as you can see in the google image link that follows.    If you hit another deli and see half sours on the menu , grab a plate and try them. They have a more fresh cucumber vibe to them.  A good half sour is my favourite pickle at a good deli.  I will order a plate of them to go with my smoked meat sandie. 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=half+sour+pickles+with+montreal+smoked+meat+sandwich&client=opera&hs=1Kb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_6-PXvK3PAhXCeD4KHZzyAHUQ_AUICCgB&biw=1920&bih=970#tbm=isch&q=half+sour+pickles

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

8 hours ago, Ashen said:

I would be tempted to say it might be a half sour pickle but generally half sours have a more vibrant green skin and closer to white interior, as you can see in the google image link that follows.    If you hit another deli and see half sours on the menu , grab a plate and try them. They have a more fresh cucumber vibe to them.  A good half sour is my favourite pickle at a good deli.  I will order a plate of them to go with my smoked meat sandie. 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=half+sour+pickles+with+montreal+smoked+meat+sandwich&client=opera&hs=1Kb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_6-PXvK3PAhXCeD4KHZzyAHUQ_AUICCgB&biw=1920&bih=970#tbm=isch&q=half+sour+pickles

Thanks. This looks more like something I'd like. Will be checking out Schwartz's and ordering extra gherkins.

-----

ElsieD: If you have time, the Jean Talon market is worth a look, especially the stores around the perimeter.  If you are a pastry person, Patisserie au Kouign Amann has excellent ones.  

I have been to both Jean Talon and Atwater. Both are wonderful markets, Atwater is less "atmospheric" after having been to Jean Talon on a sunday. I cried many invisible tears! My food hell doesn't have such (super)markets (I go to France or Spain for that)!

Moving on to the next town tomorrow but I will be back in Montreal for a few days before my return flight. Still have a couple of beer and food places to try. I hope it gets colder by then... it's been so hot, especially when riding the tube around town.

PS: Thank you, Rotuts.

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Thanks. This looks more like something I'd like. Will be checking out Schwartz's and ordering extra gherkins.

-----

ElsieD: If you have time, the Jean Talon market is worth a look, especially the stores around the perimeter.  If you are a pastry person, Patisserie au Kouign Amann has excellent ones.  

I have been to both Jean Talon and Atwater. Both are wonderful markets, Atwater is less "atmospheric" after having been to Jean Talon on a sunday. I cried many invisible tears! My food hell doesn't have such (super)markets (I go to France or Spain for that)!

Moving on to the next town tomorrow but I will be back in Montreal for a few days before my return flight. Still have a couple of beer and food places to try. I hope it gets colder by then... it's been so hot, especially when riding the tube around town.

Where else in Ontario will you be in your travels?

10 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

-----

I don't know what the next place on your agenda is, but if you are coming to Ottawa and have time, send me a PM if you have any questions.

image.jpegAlthough my baking skills are deplorable, I continue to try. These are quiche like things, some with ham, parmesan, parsley and tomato, the others with spinach, dill and cheddar. All had farm fresh eggs (a gift, sadly only two left) milk, salt and pepper. There were nine...

• Like 13

@sartoric, I love your little "quiche-like things" :x

Since reading @ninagluck's post over on the dinner thread, I've been ever so intrigued by the idea of stuffed beets.  For my first test, I took the easy way out.  I picked up a packet of cooked baby beets from Trader Joe's, sliced one in half, scooped out the middle with a melon baller and filled them with some of TJ's jalapeño and honey chèvre.   Steam baking in the Cuisi steam oven for 10 min @ 400°F left the tops only slightly colored so I raised the rack, switched to broil and left them in rather longer than I intended - I was going for golden brown, not char-broiled!    Still, kind of cute to put into a salad for lunch:

IMG_3792.jpg

• Like 12

Tried out the new Campbell's Pho Broth. It was ok in a pinch when you don't have the hours to make your own.
I had packages of pho base on hand, so adding that helped to give it more depth. I used udon noodles.

Beef Udon Pho0003.jpg

• Like 14

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Lunch was with a four year old.

From the back - in the pink basket is olive sourdough, there's quiche type things next to it. 

Then we have an antipasto plate with olives, tomatoes (both grown and cured at home), salami, pickled zucchini and Brie.  Next comes Pumpernickel with smoked salmon, sour cream, capers and dill. Lastly a tuna and white bean dip with garlic pita bread.

image.jpeg

Edited by sartoric (log)
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

Lunch was with a four year old.

From the back - in the pink basket is olive sourdough, there's quiche type things next to it. 

Then we have an antipasto plate with olives, tomatoes (both grown and cured at home), salami, pickled zucchini and Brie.  Next comes Pumpernickel with smoked salmon, sour cream, capers and dill. Lastly a tuna and white bean dip with garlic pita bread.

image.jpeg

What a treat! Beautiful little one!

• Like 2