• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 5)

liuzhou

Copper River Salmon Cakes

Chopped Copper River Salmon/Pickled Fiddlehead ferns/lemon zest/mustard/ Panko / egg yolk  topped with raw sugar and rested over night

26787704053_d26e994f9f_k.jpg

Made sandwich with Meyo ( Dukes ) and Pickles ( Bubbies )

• Like 15

Its good to have Morels

Why I don't think of fish cakes more often is beyond me.  Fish cakes and crab cakes are so good, and we have access to fish that would lend itself well to that treatment.  Thanks for the reminder, @Paul Bacino.

@Shelby, you crack me up: leftover gravy led to those elaborate sandwiches!  It's better than what I usually do, though: if I have some leftover sauce that I want to use, I frequently end up making too much of the new thing for the available sauce...so I have a different set of leftovers.  It's difficult to make it come out even. :) 

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Salad.

Before tossing, after tossing.

DSCN9562a-67a_A_comb_600.jpg

Red-green leaf lettuce, asparagus, parsley, celery hearts, Alziari EV olive oil, 10-year balsamic, Maldon salt, black pepper.

Pasta w/ tuna & capers.

DSCN9571a_600.jpg

Medium-hot pan, the oil from a can of white tuna in olive oil [Ortiz], sliced garlic, the tuna, break up a bit (spatula), Salinas salted capers [Mongetto] (pre-soaked), hot red chilli flakes, grated lemon zest, lemon juice, dripping-wet just-cooked spaghetti [Rustichella d'Abruzzo], chopped parsley, pasta cooking water. Toss/fold in on heat. Serve w/ a generous grind of black pepper & parsley florets. 

• Like 18

@huiray, that salad looks delicious.  I'm so glad to see high-quality canned tuna - in olive oil - in use instead of water-packed cheap stuff.  There's a world of difference.

@Sparren, that looks delicious and unwieldy.  I have a question about the name.  It surely isn't called a bookmaker's breakfast because someone will fold it like a book?  Is it a betting breakfast?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

@Sparren, that looks delicious and unwieldy.  I have a question about the name.  It surely isn't called a bookmaker's breakfast because someone will fold it like a book?  Is it a betting breakfast?

Thanks Smithy

I'm not sure of the origin off the name but I think it's never folded since it,s topped with horseraddish and eggyolk. 

I believe it's more has to do with betting. 

I will try to look ut up

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sparren said:
1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Thanks Smithy

I'm not sure of the origin off the name but I think it's never folded since it,s topped with horseraddish and eggyolk. 

I believe it's more has to do with betting. 

I will try to look ut up

Interestingly, a quick google search for just "bookmakers toast" turns up answers entirely from Swedish sites on the first page, at least. How interesting! I imagine that is part of the background as to why Sparren is familiar with it?

Here's one tid-bit regarding something called "bookmaker sandwiches": http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/BookmakerSandwiches.htm 

• Like 2

Birkshire pork loin steaks from my organic butcher's shop. They don't get Birkshire cuts on a regular schedule so whenever they do I buy a bit of everything.

Pan was deglazed to make the pomegranate sauce. Cherry toms were also roasted in the same pan with the steaks.

9OpTFM4.jpg

I drizzled 2 kinds of Turkish pepper in oil on the tomatoes once they were on the plate.

cJOrEDx.jpg

I use them in many things. Also nice in olive oil as a condiment.

3bqbZ5h.jpg

• Like 11

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Steak and chips.

• Like 22

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Pasta with chicken, mushroom, spinach and tomato sauce. And salad. And today's bread (neither in the picture, obviously)

DSC01119.jpg

A very simple dinner because, right now, the garden has priority. Grilled boneless pork chops with Dinosaur Barbecue  " Sensuous Slathering Sauce"  (a local icon) , with baked sweet potato fries and a salad.

DSC01121.jpg

• Like 20

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Poulet Rouge.  Stuffed with lovage, thyme and spring garlic. Roasted on mushrooms, some fingerling potatoes, olives, capers, pearl onions, and a few ramps.

27408207115_c7130d9634_z[1].jpg

27132901420_2e80996d1b_z[1].jpg

Aigo Boulido D'Iou.  "One-eyed" spring garlic consommé.  Confit gizzards, asparagus, pickled carrots and a coddled egg.

27132732220_bbfaa0d212_z[1].jpg

• Like 18

10 minutes ago, Baron d'Apcher said:

Poulet Rouge.  Stuffed with lovage, thyme and spring garlic. Roasted on mushrooms, some fingerling potatoes, olives, capers, pearl onions, and a few ramps.

27408207115_c7130d9634_z[1].jpg

27132901420_2e80996d1b_z[1].jpg

Aigo Boulido D'Iou.  "One-eyed" spring garlic consommé.  Confit gizzards, asparagus, pickled carrots and a coddled egg.

27132732220_bbfaa0d212_z[1].jpg

More effort there than meets the eye, Baron.  Appreciate your stuff

• Like 1

Top sirloin cap, wild rice, green beans.

DSCN9575a_600.jpg

Half of a cap [from Kincaid's], rubbed w/ salt & pepper, pan-seared, finished in oven. Wild rice [Bineshii] cooked in the usual way in plain lightly salted water. Green beans sautéed w/ sliced young garlic heads.

• Like 11

21 hours ago, mm84321 said:

A truly delicious mango, with flavors of coconut, enjoyed atop Mount Mansfield.  

IMGP5264.jpg

My first time starting a hike in pitch black conditions, but watching the sun rise at the summit was well worth it!

IMGP5331.jpg

@mm84321, is that Mt. Mansfield in Vt.? I went to Mt. Mansfield Union High for a year when we lived in Jericho.

This would have been in the 70's, and almost impossible to find any kind of mango, much less a good one with notes of coconut.

Absolutely gorgeous photography, as usual!

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <