• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 5)

liuzhou

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

CSB = Cuisinart Steam Oven

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSO-300N-Convection-Steam-Stainless/dp/B019XOZYEA?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B019XOZYEA&linkCode=as2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&redirect=true&tag=gosale-20

that's a remarkable price.  maybe not down under

there are several threads    it what one needs / wants etc  maybe a bit bigger etc.

I like how it can handle a whole 45 lb chicken!

• Like 2

Last night was another attempt at ramen:

Ramen06272016.png

Ramen06272016.png

Noodles were Hakubaku organic ramen.  How does one cook straight noodles so they lie all in the same direction in the bowl, the way I've read you are supposed to?  And how does one get just a small portion of said noodles shoveled in one's mouth?

I was very pleased with the toppings, particularly the eggs and pork.  I was hoping to comment more but am having posting problems.

The broth was the only downside.  I followed a suggestion on the noodle package to use salted chicken broth and soy sauce, but the result ended up too salty (for which I can only blame the cook) and not enough umami.  Oh, and that I used too much shichimi togarasi on top.  Ma tong wa kina numb.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
why not? (log)
  • Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Tonight's dinner was two courses:  an almond course followed by a peanut course.  Make of this what you will.  But it obviated the need for an after dinner beverage,

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
spelling (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Three recent dinners:

Simple dinner using up a fair bit of the bolting raab broccoli, sauteed in lemon and butter, with 60 degree chicken.

IMG_7073 (640x480).jpgIMG_7078 (640x480).jpg

Kamado Joe salt and pepper poussin grilled over bay leaves (4 mins plus 8 mins at 200 degrees), leftover rosolje from the Estonian thread, rocket and ponzu dressing.

IMG_7085 (640x480).jpg

Kamado grilled salmon (3 mins a side at 175), new potatoes, all the bolting greenstuff (mostly rocket and raab) sauteed in lemon and butter. And some pink wine. I seem to be on a pink wine kick!

IMG_7086 (480x640).jpg

• Like 13

Yesterday I dusted off the tagine (literally) and made a spicy beef, sweet potato and date stew. I sautéed onions and garlic, added cinnamon, ground cumin, ground ginger and harissa paste. Finished with a spoon of honey and chopped parsley. Served with herby couscous.

image.jpeg

Ready to simmer for a few hours.

image.jpeg

The tagine only just fits on the burner.

image.jpeg

Plated.

• Like 18

Nice! I was gifted a tagine and have been scared to use it in case I break it. I should really take a brave pill. I don't have a gas burner, just an electric hob or the Aga. Am wondering if it would be happy in the top oven of the Aga? (I think I bought a heat diffuser for the electric hob so I could try it there too :) )

• Like 3

@ProfessionalHobbit  I will have to try this. I love the "traditional" chicken cacciatora with tomatoes and peppers (I use Marcella Hazan's Chicken Fricassee, cacciatora style) but my husband does not. (It reminds him too much of his mother's cooking. Not all Italian women - she was first generation American - are great cooks.) I think he would like this.

Dinner last night was completely on the grill. Chicken, eggplant, zucchini, red onion, tomato, potatoes. Well, I didn't grill the salad. Or the tomato chutney. 

DSC01264.jpg

I currently have LOTS of garlic scapes  so Sunday dinner was pasta with sautéed garlic scapes, onion and sausage. And salad. I have to do something with all the lettuce in the garden.:) (Sorry for the somewhat fuzzy picture.  I'm a better cook than a photographer. )

DSC01246.jpg

• Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

1 hour ago, Tere said:

Nice! I was gifted a tagine and have been scared to use it in case I break it. I should really take a brave pill. I don't have a gas burner, just an electric hob or the Aga. Am wondering if it would be happy in the top oven of the Aga? (I think I bought a heat diffuser for the electric hob so I could try it there too :) )

Yes, take the pill, it's amazing cookware. My instructions for this terracotta one say soak for 24 hours in water, rub inside with olive oil and put into a cold oven at 170 C for 2 hours. I also use a heat diffuser on the stove top. I have used it in the oven as well (electric) but find it easier to watch on the stovetop.

• Like 1

image.jpeg

It is the limitation of means that determines style, gives rise to new forms and makes creativity possible. (Georges Braque).

Roasted carrots, tomatoes and romaine dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, lemon juice and a healthy shower of freshly grated parmesan (and I tossed in the last of the bacon bits).

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Back from a two week vacation in which there was not enough home cooking (other than breakfast) and too much restaurant food.  I am afraid to get on the scale.  Last night's fish share was hake.  I made a coconut curry fish recipe from the book Made in India

coconut curry hake.jpg

and from the same book, green beans with mustard seeds, sesame seeds, and ginger.

green beans with mustard.jpg

• Like 15

I made @sartoric's pull apart bread for dinner tonight. I used scallions, 4 bacon strips crumbled, and cheddar cheese in the filling. I patted it out on a piece of waxed paper dusted with flour, and this helped a lot with the rolling up. The dough was quite sticky. I called them loaded baked potato rolls, and they were delicious. The only thing I would do differently is to up the salt with cheddar. I'm sure that won't be necessary when using the saltier parmesan called for.

I fried up a couple of pork chops in the rendered bacon fat and sauteed some spinach with garlic to round out our meal.

• Like 7

> ^ . . ^ <

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

It is the limitation of means that determines style, gives rise to new forms and makes creativity possible. (Georges Braque).

Ever so much more evocative than, "Necessity is the mother of invention." xD

I, on the other hand, was a big spender and treated myself to some scallops.  I was curious about the jumbo wild caught North Atlantic  IQF scallops I've seen lately at Trader Joe's.   The only ingredient on the label is scallops.

Seared scallops on lemon pepper pappardelle with artichoke-lemon pesto, sugar snap peas, red bell pepper and grated fresh lemon zest.

IMG_3209 (1).jpg

They are big fellows, 10-20/lb, bigger than I would choose for a pasta dish - I cooked 4 but had to leave one off the plate so you could see the pasta.xD

At $17.99/lb, they're in the "treat" category for me but I thought they were good enough to qualify as such.  And I'll get to treat myself to a few more meals from that bag so no complaints.

• Like 17

@blue_dolphin

I would trade my dinner for yours any day of the week without any hesitation!   I love scallops.   Nevertheless for a dinner made of whatever I could put my hands on turned out to be quite tasty and satisfying and fulfilled some need for a bit of creativity I was desperately seeking. I am hoping in the next few weeks that I will find myself with a bag of scallops from Costco which are also quite good and as close as I'll ever get to fresh ones. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

And if you're looking for ideas on what to do with lettuce, I would probably braise it with some peas and spring onion, and a touch of butter and mint.

5959655657_2724cd371e_z.jpg

https://spamwisechronicles.com/2011/07/21/braised-lettuce-with-peas-young-onions-baby-squash-and-mint/

Braised lettuce is one of our discoveries of the year so far, with or without peas.  Since it seems summer weather is giving us a miss this year it is proving a good way to use up our garden lettuce before it bolts.  We have lots of little plants waiting to be transplanted to the garden so need to get the first lot finished and salad is less than appealing in wet and windy North Yorkshire.... 

• Like 4

Dinner was simply cheeseburgers and "Shelby fries" with the A/C going and fingers crossed for rain. I was pleasantly awakened early in the morning by a sudden downpour that should keep things going for a while. I have to mention the Aldi half sours I discovered recently, a real find! They are in the plastic tub to the right. While my vision is improving, it still sucks from surgery and I apologize for the amateurish photos, but this is a food site, right?

HC

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 9