• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 5)

liuzhou

Top sirloin cap, pan-fried with fresh thyme & salt/pepper & other stuff. Sliced, slices seared on the cut sides in the pan. Yes, the insides were still nicely red & juicy.

Part 1: With sautéed fresh asparagus & wild rice [Bineshii].

DSCN9854a_600.jpg

Part 2: With salad & more of the wild rice.

DSCN9858a-60a_1k_comb_600.jpg

Salad was spinach, red-tinged romaine, green romaine, 10-year balsamic, Maldon salt, Maussane-les-Alpilles olive oil, black pepper.

• Like 14

Beef and veggie casserole, including carrots, celery, mushrooms, zucchini and bacon.

Served with potato and swede mash flavoured with horseradish, pickled cabbage and crusty bread.

image.jpeg

I deglazed the pan with port and reduced it to a thick syrup, added beef stock and Dijon mustard.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 10

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 7:00 AM, mgaretz said:

Watermelon chunks that have been compressed using a chamber vacuum sealer.  They have a denser texture and more flavor.

They are really tasty.  Very good in salads and with chilled seafood.

Dinner tonight was an aged NY strip, grilled over grapefruit wood and left over baked potatoes repurposed with a roasted kale, garbanzo bean and pine nut salad dressed with a balsamic reduction dressing.  

image.jpeg

• Like 19

Depressed about Brexit, I made and then promptly tipped myself face-first into these five-spice roast duck noodles, with flowering garlic chives, green onions wilted in duck fat, and huatiao rice wine.

(Also things like shredded ginger, shiitake mushrooms, oyster, hoi sin and light soy sauces, sesame oil, and a slick of Chinese chicken stock.)

image.jpeg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 15

On 6/23/2016 at 8:16 AM, rarerollingobject said:

Sichuanese zhong shui jiao - pork and garlic chive dumplings in chilli oil, with sweet dark soy and a good dusting of Sichuan pepper. 

I even made my own wrappers. On a Wednesday night! After a 14 hour workday! #hardcore

shujiao.jpg

shujiao2.jpg

shujiao3.jpg

Great looking dumplings, my 2 little ones gobble them up - would be interested to hear your wrapper recipe; perhaps for when I am feeling adventurous.

I hear you on the long work days, that's about when I smartened up, went out and started my own gig, and now I am working 14 hours a week and happier than ever!

• Like 4

"Soupy" (sopressata) and mushroom pizza. After breaking my second pizza stone, I had a quarter inch steel plate cut to fit in my oven. I like the results much better than on the stone. This is a smaller single shelf top oven in a twin oven range and top end is 550 F. I preheat the oven & plate for about 45 minutes.

HC

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Id like to hear a bit more on the pull apart bread

thanks

Me too, please. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Id like to hear a bit more on the pull apart bread

thanks

Me too, please. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

rotuts, yes I do, pre-baked for 10 min,cut side down.  flesh removed, thyme, lemone juice, honey, olive olive mixed and spread inside, cheese in. cover in parchment paper or aluminiumfoil , bake for 20 min. top with lemonjuice, chili, thyme, honey

• Like 5

rotuts, yes I do, pre-baked for 10 min,cut side down.  flesh removed, thyme, lemone juice, honey, olive olive mixed and spread inside, cheese in. cover in parchment paper or aluminiumfoil , bake for 20 min. top with lemonjuice, chili, thyme, honey

Edited by ninagluck
double post (log)

3 hours ago, sartoric said:

with potato, bacon and cheese pull apart bread.

That looks fantastic! Would you mind sharing the recipe?

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

The pull apart bread is made with two medium potatoes boiled and mashed. Make a soft dough with 1/4 cup SR and 3/4 cup plain flour, 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda and salt. Mix in 1/2 cup of buttermilk, and half the potatoes. Pat into a square shape about 1cm thick. In a fry pan saute two chopped bacon rashers with butter, mix in chopped herbs of your choice, 1tbs buttermilk, 1 cup parmesan and spread on the dough. Roll up, cut into 2cm bits and nestle together on a sprayed baking tray. Bake at 200 C for about 25 minutes.

The original recipe (which I wrote down about 20 years ago) called for double the above quantities.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, sartoric said:

The pull apart bread is made with two medium potatoes boiled and mashed. Make a soft dough with 1/4 cup SR and 3/4 cup plain flour, 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda and salt. Mix in 1/2 cup of buttermilk, and half the potatoes. Pat into a square shape about 1cm thick. In a fry pan saute two chopped bacon rashers with butter, mix in chopped herbs of your choice, 1tbs buttermilk, 1 cup parmesan and spread on the dough. Roll up, cut into 2cm bits and nestle together on a sprayed baking tray. Bake at 200 C for about 25 minutes.

The original recipe (which I wrote down about 20 years ago) called for double the above quantities.

sartoric,

This recipe sounds very appealing. I want to make it. I'll need to convert your metric measures to the pesky Imperial, but that's easy with Mr. Google these days. I think I would like it with chives or scallions in the filling.

Seems you add half the potatoes with the buttermilk, but the other half seems not to be mentioned. Do they go in the filling mixture? What happens to the other half of the potatoes you boil and mash up?

> ^ . . ^ <