• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 5)

liuzhou

Baron your meals are always so beautiful.  I'd love to try one of those eggs.

Chris and Sartoric, everything looks good but your salads are grabbing my eyeballs.

Trout almondine and the last of the garden asparagus I had hoarded in the fridge.

photo.jpg

• Like 14

I have sort of cobbled together a method of doing at least SOME stuff in the kitchen, despite my ankle/knee injury. This particular meal, a brined and roasted chicken with new potatoes and carrots, involved assistance from my non-cooking daughter, who was spending a few days to help take care of Mom. The dialogue was hysterical, but I'll leave you with just the photo; her expression says it all!

chicken1.JPG

chickn n potatoes.jpg

Dinner was respectable!

• Like 22

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb, kudos to you for tackling dinner prep while you are stuck in a chair.  Reminds me how inaccessible the average kitchen is to someone in a wheelchair.  I think I'd be relying on my phone to order delivery - and in this area, that would be pretty much limited to pizza!

42 minutes ago, kayb said:

The dialogue was hysterical, but I'll leave you with just the photo; her expression says it all!

Talk about pictures worth a thousand words - this one is hilarious and your daughter's expression is priceless!

• Like 2

When our daughter was in collage, she went through a rather nasty break up.  Her best friend tried to make her feel better by saying."At least you kept your sense of humor."  That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw your wonderful photo.  The saying has become part of family lore.

It's too hot and humid here right now for me to even think about eating...I'm existing on Arnie Palmers and a Mickey D's frozen strawberry lemonade (overly fake strawberry taste but very, very refreshing).

Edited by suzilightning
spelling error (log)
  • Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Last night  turned these squash into soup. Used a chicken stock and added leeks and some chilli flakes for kick. Blitzed with the stick.

nanguazi.jpg

soup.jpg

Followed by clams in oyster sauce with fermented black beans and garlic. More chilli.

clams.jpg

Served with rice.

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I just cannot go into the Asian store without impulse buying something I have never tried before.  This time it was a jar of Instant Duck Flavored Paste.  Directions said to mix two spoons with three cups of water and simmer duck, chicken or pork until done. I cooked the dark part of a whole chicken then pulled off the bones and let the meat sit in the warm sauce for an hour before son got home.

He really liked it. He said it didn't taste like a jarred sauce. And it was easy.   For a side, I made sausage stuffed mushrooms.

DSCN3582.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 9

I picked up a 3 pound chuck roast a couple of days ago and cooked it sous vide for 48 hours at 132 degrees.  It was cut from triple AAA or higher which is just about as good as it gets when buying beef in the supermarket.  So, that was dinner tonight along with some overcooked carrots, potatoes roasted in duck fat and beets in a balsamic/olive oil dressing.  The beef was incredible -  very, very tender and tasting of beefy goodness.  From the picture it looks like it was cooked to medium, but it was medium rare.  This tablet doesn't like taking pictures of red beef.

20160620_202821.jpg

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I picked up a 3 pound chuck roast a couple of days ago and cooked it sous vide for 48 hours at 132 degrees.  It was cut from triple AAA or higher which is just about as good as it gets when buying beef in the supermarket.  So, that was dinner tonight along with some overcooked carrots, potatoes roasted in duck fat and beets in a balsamic/olive oil dressing.  The beef was incredible -  very, very tender and tasting of beefy goodness.  From the picture it looks like it was cooked to medium, but it was medium rare.  This tablet doesn't like taking pictures of red beef.

20160620_202821.jpg

What's the other thing that looks like Yorkshire pudding ? Looks delicious !

Haha kayb - that certainly is quite the expression on your daughter's face! Hope she learned something about cooking while visiting you. Hope you are mending well (and not in too much agony) and will be back on your feet sooner than later.

I realized the other day that I now have so many small appliances that other than requiring the sink I think I could still cook a lot if I had to sit in a chair and use a table rather than the counter height large appliances. The IP, the wok, the induction burners (2), the 'griddle' thing, Vitamix, Thermomix, mixer, sous vide circulator, toaster, etc. all can be put on the lower table and plugged in. In fact, I actually haven't used my cooktop in months and am currently wondering if I really need one any more. The dishwasher is accessible, the oven is accessible, the microwave though higher up is moveable (not built in so far), and the bottom shelves and freezer portion of the fridge are accessible - but that darned sink is still a problem. I am always planning for 'what if something happens'  and the 'getting older alone' kind of scenarios ... but I haven't figured everything out yet obviously. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, suzilightning said:

It's too hot and humid here right now for me to even think about eating...I'm existing on Arnie Palmers and a Mickey D's frozen strawberry lemonade (overly fake strawberry taste but very, very refreshing).

Since our poor air quality is about the same...I managed to hike to the local shopping center this afternoon because, well, I needed rum, and because I wanted chicken for making chicken Marsala.  Then I turned back for more Marsala because I wasn't sure how much Marsala I had on hand.  Plenty as it turns out:  I now have two and a half bottles of Marsala in house.

But the exercise exhausted me.  It is now close to midnight and as we speak I have a can of Progresso black bean soup heating on the stovetop...while amongst the little organic peanuts I nurse my evening mai tai.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I don't know how YOU like to relax when you get home on a Tuesday night after a rough day at work, but me? I like to roast a whole duck that I've dipped in boiling water, lacquered with honey and maltose and soy sauce, stuffed with ginger and cinnamon and star anise, and hung overnight in my fridge to dry for about 18 hours.

Not a bad dinner, with steamed Chinese pancakes and hoi sin sauce.. I even did the chilli-spring onion-penetration thing, a la proper roastie joints.

13487839_10154270245389122_299525873_n.jpg

13521791_10154270245394122_1098973671_n.jpg

• Like 22

On 6/20/2016 at 11:24 AM, Baron d'Apcher said:

Fancy mid-summer themed dinner for my father’s 75th birthday.  Gelatin was on sale, Alaskan king salmon was definitely not and there is an abundance of eggs.

King salmon pastrami.  Crusted with mustard seed, fennel, chili, lemon zest and dill then smoked.

Truly incredible, @Baron d'Apcher.

Tuna, capers, egg yolks, pasta.

DSCN9836a_600.jpg

Closely after the recipe for Sugo con tonno, uova e capperi in 'Sauces & Shapes: Pasta the Italian Way' (Oretta Zanini de Vita & Maureen B. Fant), page 62.

Chopped white onion, EV olive oil, soften; tuna in olive oil [Ortiz] w/ the oil, break up, simmer; increase fire, add white wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc), simmer down a bit; seafood stock [Kitchen Basics], Salina salted capers [Mongetto] (pre-rinsed & pre-soaked), fresh lemon juice; simmer; add in just-cooked linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo], fold in & toss/stir; shut off heat, fold in chopped Italian parsley, remove from stove, fold in {2 egg yolks beaten w/ some heavy cream} while stirring vigorously. Plate, dress w/ fresh parsley leaflets.

Being eaten.

DSCN9841c_600.jpg

ETA: This was quite good and luxurious. It will be going onto my regular rotation. It is different from the previous tuna-caper-pasta dishes I've posted - this one which is the first I've posted with this combination is a keeper.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 8

Tonight's dinner was a repeat of something I have cooked and posted many times, so I won't bore you with that. But I would like to share the starter. My seafood girl in the market called out to me to examine her special "catch of the day".  These prawns were still leaping around taking serious exception to my prodding and poking. I bought four and by the time I got home in the baking heat, they had died.  Here is one.

prawn.jpg

I fried them with local sea salt and Sichuan peppercorns. Then got messy eating them.

prawns.jpg

I have to be away for a couple of days, but I'll be hitting the market Friday morning to see if she still has any.

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Elsie, I'm craving a popover like that.  Yours look perfect!

Liuzhou, I am always envious when you get great seafood like that.  I can almost taste the sweet freshness.

On my own again last night.  Normally I don't make anything at all but I wanted pizza.  I also was able to pick some peas from the garden.  Learned that when hail hits the pods  and leaves even the tiniest hole, they get some type of mold inside sigh.  But, I got enough to sprinkle over a little salad so that made me happy.  Rotuts please ignore the black olives.

photo 1.jpg

photo 3.jpg

• Like 8

Grape vine leaves "cake" stuffed with rice with lentils and bahart. It's essentially a faster alternative to the common rolled version and flavored the same. I placed tomatoes, onion and garlic slices below the first leaf layer, as a padding of sorts, and buffer against the heat. When flipped, they ended up on top, then removed and placed as a side to the dish. Plenty of lemon and some olive oil drizzled on top. 

All served with brined olives and labaneh with zaatar.

I still have so many grape leaves in freezer...

20160617_140509.jpg20160617_141023.jpg20160617_141615.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

We had stuffed shells a few nights ago. Nothing fancy, mind you, but it is a dish we both enjoy. This time, in addition to the usual ricotta, egg, grated hard and mozzarella cheese, I added a mixture of finely chopped fresh basil and sage to the filling and enjoyed the results.

HC

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

• Like 8