• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 5)

liuzhou

I've been trying sporadically for 10 years to recreate the sausage in a roll that we enjoyed in Spain.

The snags were pork and beef with paprika, the roll a sourdough baton, the fillings are tomato, lettuce, snow pea sprouts, mustard and mayo.

They're always good, but not quite Monserrat...image.jpeg 

• Like 8

First try at Kamado Joe pizza - cheating heinously with pre-bought Italian style thin bases, but still worth the effort. 5 mins for the first was not enough, 2 mins on the second and burnt. More learning to do clearly. Simple pepperoni and good buffalo mozzarella with chunky passata. Simple Margherita with all the basil. Salad leaves from the garden with caesar or ponzu dressing. No photos as we inhaled it :) 

• Like 5

image.jpeg

The pork belly I bought the other day came with some bones attached. I was not about to waste them so I gave them a dry rub, put them in the Instant pot on a rack with some water beneath and gave them 30 minutes at high-pressure. I then wrapped them in foil and gave them an hour at 300°F in the oven. I had no barbeque sauce on hand and was not inclined to make any so I had them with just the dry rub and I have to say I did not miss the sauce one bit. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A simple chicken tray bake with Greek flavours, potatoes, zucchini, tomatoes, onion, garlic and our home grown olives.

Sauce made with white wine and butter, served with salad and toast.

image.jpeg

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, sartoric said:

A simple chicken tray bake with Greek flavours, potatoes, zucchini, tomatoes, onion, garlic and our home grown olives.

I have a friend whose mother-in-law owns an oliveyard but "home grown olives" is not a phrase I hear often.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

IMG_6120.JPG

8 chicken legs and thighs, seasoned with salt and black pepper

IMG_6123.JPG

4 rashers bacon, diced

IMG_6127.JPG

1 1/4 lbs. new potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges, seasoned with 2 tbsp. olive oil and a generous pinch of salt

IMG_6130.JPG

1 medium onion, cut into chunks

IMG_6132.JPG

5 pickled sweet cherry peppers, halved and seeded

IMG_6134.JPG

Brown chicken in olive oil in batches, remove to a plate when browned.  (In retrospect, I should have probably browned them for longer than 10 minutes.)  Add bacon and fry until nearly crisped.  Remove and reserve.  Pour off most of the oil and drippings except for 2 tbsp.  Add the potatoes along with any accumulated olive oil in the bowl.  Fry potatoes on medium heat until they form a crust.

You might have to move the potatoes around a bit so they don't stick to the pan.  If you do, try not to break them apart.

IMG_6156.JPG

IMG_6159.JPG

After about 10-15 minutes, add the onion, 2 rosemary sprigs, and the pickled peppers to the potatoes.  Fry for 1-2 more minutes, turning the potatoes every so often.

IMG_6163.JPG

Return chicken and bacon to the pan, along with any accumulated chicken juices.  Cover.  Cook for 15 minutes, turning the contents of the pan every so often.

IMG_6168.JPG

Uncover, raise heat to high and cook for 10 more minutes, or until most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated and the potatoes have crisped and become golden brown.

IMG_6185.JPG

Pan-fried chicken with new potatoes, pickled cherry peppers, rosemary and bacon

IMG_6191.JPG

Steamed zucchini with salsa verde

Recipe for the salsa verde is in today's post in the Breakfast thread.

Edited by ProfessionalHobbit (log)
  • Like 7

Fresh peas.

Shelling them...

DSCN9799a_400.jpgDSCN9802a_400.jpg

These were really fresh. Good enough that I dashed back to the market and got another 2+ lbs of them! Nate (of Silverthorn Farm) agreed with me about the need to get them fresh and said that when they get picked (these were less than 24 hrs earlier) he gets them into the cooler at once and holds them there till the next morning for the market, when I bought them. He had lots more...hate to think of the unsold stuff being "wasted"...

Done. Peas blanched in salted simmering water.

DSCN9810a_600.jpg

Had peas by the tablespoonful... with some Zungenwurst & Westphalian ham (both [Claus' German Sausage & Meats])

DSCN9812a-14a_comb_600.jpg

Somewhat later on...

Soup.

DSCN9817a_600.jpg

Chicken stock, water, garlic, firm tofu chunks, sweet basil right at the end.

Yes, basil used as a vegetable.

Brat Schnecken [Claus'], simply pan-fried. With peas and more peas. :-) 

DSCN9822a_600.jpg

• Like 14

Dinner last night was a Burmese feast.

I started by frying shallots...lots and lots of shallots 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

They went into the tomato and spinach salad.

image.jpeg

There was also grated carrot salad, an eggplant dip, chicken and potato curry, belly pork stewed with whole shallots and garlic, and of course, rice.

image.jpeg

• Like 15

Fancy mid-summer themed dinner for my father’s 75th birthday.  Gelatin was on sale, Alaskan king salmon was definitely not and there is an abundance of eggs.

King salmon pastrami.  Crusted with mustard seed, fennel, chili, lemon zest and dill then smoked.

27503689930_f2b9dca1b8_z[1].jpg

27170488964_930593a700_z[1].jpg

Eggs in smoky chicken aspic. With a slice of radish and confit gizzard.

27782010235_5f1ab7d578_z[1].jpg

27708238261_6b79c5471d_z[1].jpg

Pickled eggs with artichokes, cucumbers and cauliflower

27707757431_82df1898b7_z[3].jpg

Alaskan king salmon ballotine.  Stuffed with shellfish mousse, pickled radish scales and white wine aspic.

27681321892_964b21e05e_z[1].jpg

27170911523_d0eea405db_z[1].jpg

27503731120_b7117480d6_z[3].jpg

27681588492_bb0f626025_z[1].jpg

27170567054_052d227bca_z[1].jpg

Edited by Baron d'Apcher (log)
  • Like 20

1 hour ago, Baron d'Apcher said:

Fancy mid-summer themed dinner for my father’s 75th birthday.  Gelatin was on sale, Alaskan king salmon was definitely not and there is an abundance of eggs.

King salmon pastrami.  Crusted with mustard seed, fennel, chili, lemon zest and dill then smoked.

27503689930_f2b9dca1b8_z[1].jpg

27170488964_930593a700_z[1].jpg

Eggs in smoky chicken aspic. With a slice of radish and confit gizzard.

27782010235_5f1ab7d578_z[1].jpg

27708238261_6b79c5471d_z[1].jpg

Pickled eggs with artichokes, cucumbers and cauliflower

27707757431_82df1898b7_z[3].jpg

Alaskan king salmon ballotine.  Stuffed with shellfish mousse, pickled radish scales and white wine aspic.

27681321892_964b21e05e_z[1].jpg

27170911523_d0eea405db_z[1].jpg

27503731120_b7117480d6_z[3].jpg

27681588492_bb0f626025_z[1].jpg

27170567054_052d227bca_z[1].jpg

Beautiful, Baron.

Can you give some details on the eggs' preparation?

• Like 2

Stir-fried lettuces.

DSCN9827a_500.jpg

Red-tipped romaine and red-green leafy.

Bak Kut Teh.

DSCN9828a_600.jpg

Modified Canto-Hoklo herbal type. Ingredients included: Pork baby back ribs, 3 heads garlic; dried root/rhizome of Polygonatum odoratum, Angelica sinensis, Codonopsis pilosula; cassia bark, whole cloves, whole star anise; oyster sauce, double-fermented soy sauce, dark soy sauce; and deep-fried tofu puffs (aburaage).

Lots of white rice.

• Like 7

Another diet difference is that I eat pasta fairly infrequently these days.  I see no problem with having pasta for dinner 4 out of 7 days a week.  But it's not up to only me anymore...

IMG_6258.JPG

Cauliflower florets seasoned with olive oil, salt and black pepper

IMG_6259.JPG

Cauliflower greens and cherry tomatoes seasoned with olive oil, salt and black pepper

Roasted at 375 F for one hour.

IMG_6264.JPG

Clockwise from foreground right:  1 tbsp. minced fresh basil; 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced; 2 heirloom tomatoes, diced; a container of pickled cherry peppers; 1 tbsp. Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped.

IMG_6266.JPG

Battuto of garlic and flat-leaf parsley in olive oil...

IMG_6268.JPG

Added the olives and some slivered cherry peppers.  Let that cook for a few minutes -- basically transforming a battuto to a soffrito via the process of insaporire.

IMG_6271.JPG

Added the tomatoes, then salt and black pepper.  Had it cook down until it started to resemble a loose tomato sauce.

IMG_6274.JPG

After about 15 minutes simmering on medium heat.  At this point, I added a ladleful of pasta cooking water, then eventually cooked drained mixed pasta (spaghetti, orecchiette, penne), the roasted cherry tomatoes and cauliflower greens and 1 heaping tablespoon of salsa verde.  Finished cooking the pasta in the pan as it absorbed the sauce.

IMG_6282.JPG

Pasta con cavolfiore e pomodorini

IMG_6293.JPG

IMG_6295.JPG

Roasted cauliflower with salsa verde

So you see, @cakewalk and @Anna N, some things haven't changed all that much. :) (I like the fact that you can now tag people on eG.  That is totally cool!)

Side note and a little bit off-topic:  today, B and I went to look at open houses.  For those of you who don't know what these are, whenever a realtor wants to show a house that's on the market, he or she shows the house to interested buyers.  Anyone can show up to tour the place.  It's just something to do, as B and I weren't interested in buying.  But if you're curious how the 1 percent lives, it's free entertainment.  

This is a kitchen from an apartment that had an asking price of $1.8 million:

IMG_6199.JPG

And these two photographs are of a kitchen in a house that had an asking price of $8 million:

IMG_6226.JPG

IMG_6227.JPG

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

@sartoric I love the look of that shallot, spinach and tomato salad. Not spinach season here unfortunately, but I'll remember it for when it comes back.

Thanks @liuzhou, it also had chopped roasted peanuts, pounded dried shrimp, shallot oil and home ground chillies. The Burmese really excel at salad !

• Like 5

I made chicken and dumplings tonight with some leftover roast chicken and the drippings were incorporated into the gravy. I realized after I had scooped my fourth dumpling into the bubbling gravy, and was looking forward to the fluffy result, that I had made a rookie mistake. Doh! I forgot the baking powder! I hesitated a second or too, then quick as a bunny rabbit, I removed the boiling chicken fryer skillet from the heat, quickly fished the dumplings out and back into the mixing bowl. I added baking powder, stirred it all together, and returned the skillet to the heat and rescooped the dumplings into the gravy. I was thinking it was probably not going to be as good as usual, but would probably be edible. I'll be damned if my mistake really didn't cost me anything. The dumplings were just as fluffy and delicious as usual. I guess I was in the nick of time to rescue them. Do not try this at home. :)

I served a salad with lemon tahini dressing and very nice corn on the cob slathered with butter for sides. 

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

33 minutes ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

Another diet difference is that I eat pasta fairly infrequently these days.  I see no problem with having pasta for dinner 4 out of 7 days a week.  But it's not up to only me anymore...

Yesterday my dear Italian American daughter-in-law was politely complaining that they seldom eat pasta anymore.  My son, as much as I love him, does not believe in carbohydrates.  But she pointed out his ale and scotch don't seem to count.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

image.jpeg

While @ProfessionalHobbit moves away from his mostly vegetarian ways, this hard-core carnivore frequently makes a meal of just vegetables. Grated carrots briefly sauteed in olive oil and butter and tossed with some toasted walnuts. The other is zucchini, salted and drained and then added to well caramelized onions and dressed with lemon zest and juice.  Both of these would make very speedy side dishes and the zucchini was especially good done this way. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog