• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 5)

liuzhou

Do you know pinhão?

It's a seed of Araucaria tree or Paraná Pine tree.

Found only in the winter in southern Brazil.

A delicassy. Just cook in salted water or on the plate of a wood stove.

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

• Like 13

Learning

I used the last of the grouper cheeks tonight, a  romaine salad with leftover  potato salad on top.  I need to buy these more often when I see them.  At $7.99/lb they are a great buy

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 17

Inspired by a few on this forum, this is my take on Kimchi Jjigae.

I used pork belly pieces and chicken wing segments. For banchan, I made a wilted spinach with garlic, spring onions, soy, sesame oil and sesame seeds. Also mushrooms marinated with parsley, garlic and rice wine vinegar.

Plus, I shredded some pickled ginger and stirred that through samphire with a few sesame seeds on top.

it all worked rather well together.

image.jpeg

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

I used the last of the grouper cheeks tonight with a side romaine salad with leftover  potato salad on top.  I need to buy these more often when I see them.  At $7.99/lb they are a great buy

image.jpeg

Looks delicious, I'd certainly eat them. 

I do envy your seafood prices. I paid $46.99 a kilo for blue eye fillets a couple days ago.

Eggplant slices, grilled and rolled around a filling of goat cheese, garlic, pine nuts, raisins, lemon zest, olive oil, bread crumbs and an egg, topped with tomatoes and mozzarella. And salad greens from the garden. I love garden salads - every bite tastes different.This has 6 kinds of lettuce, arugula, Persian cress, bianca riccia chicory, mizuna, red mizuna and spinach. Plus - not from the garden (yet), cukes, tomatoes and carrots.   And bread - not mine, baking means too much time inside just now, but from a very good, sort of local, bakery - Ithaca Bakery.

DSC01182.jpg

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 14

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Flash "stir-fried" purple snow peas & yellow-podded peas. Simply w/ oil & salt.

DSCN9759a_600.jpg

As bought, from Daily Farms at the Carmel Farmers' Market.

DSCN9720a_600.jpg

A vermicelli bowl (glass/cellophane (mung bean) noodles) - using something that I am guessing most folks here would not have come across: "Artificial Pickled Cabbage Fish Flavor Instant Vermicelli" [白家  brand] (酸菜魚味  方便粉絲).

DSCN9763a_600.jpg

Dressed w/ chopped scallions (green parts), Chinese celery. coriander fronds.

Those "yellow/brownish thingies" are soy beans.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Shel_B said:

I saw an article describing watermelon infused with, or soaked in, rose water.  This interests me.  Would adding rose water to watermelon and then using a vacuum chamber  provide a good, even infusion? 

I believe so.  I have never tried watermelon myself by this method, however infusion in a chamber vacuum sealer is a pretty standard technique for imparting flavor to something such as watermelon.  On the other hand for extraction flavor from something, an iSi is probably a better choice.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner was a rib lamb chop by Kenji's method: salted and dried out on a rack for a couple days.  Pan seared.  More or less local New Jersey asparagus purchased this afternoon.  Hollandaise Piment d'Espelette.  And a baguette of course.

Sitting down now to a goodly glass of Laird's 12.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I was on my own last night so I made spicy tuna inari.  I've been wanting to try it for quite some time and finally ordered the tofu skin to make it with.  I didn't have any avocado and I subbed in cilantro for what ever herb she used.  On their own, the tofu skins aren't my favorite thing to eat because they seem too sweet, but stuffed....delicious.  Excuse my crappy picture.

photo.JPG

• Like 16

Made some parsley-mint pasta and we had it with lamb shanks braised in the oven until so tender all the bones fell off so it looked more like a ragu.  Garden peas/roasted asparagus and some sautéed mushrooms.

Picture of the just rolled out pasta.

I had extra mushrooms so made a ragu to have with the rest of the pasta.

DSC01397.jpgDSC01395.jpgDSC01396.jpg

• Like 19

Pork and peppers (sweet bell peppers, hot pepper, cubanelle), With salad and bread.

DSC01215.jpg

• Like 13

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Last night, dinner with an old friend in a Chinese/SE Asian restaurant here in town. Hadn't seen her for several years.

ubud.jpg

The restaurant itself is beautiful. Being the greedy type, we arrived early, so it was still almost empty. By the time we left it was full.

We had:

mango beef.jpg

Thai Mango Beef (泰式香芒牛肉粒 - tài shì xiāng máng niú ròu lì)

This is dish I often attempt to replicate, but I've come to feel my effort is actually preferable to theirs. I find theirs quite acceptable but rather sweet. I'm sure many would disagree.

seafood.jpg

Spicy Seafood (香辣虾兵蟹将 - xiāng là xiā bīng xiè jiāng)

Described in English (on the bilingual menu) simply as Spicy Seafood, the Chinese is more poetic. It translates as "Spicy Shrimp Soldiers and Crab Generals"  which is also a euphemism for "ineffective troops"!

Whatever, it's called, it's the mentioned shrimp and crab with lotus root, chilli, wood ear fungus, beans and more.

duck.jpg

Thai Lemon Duck (泰式柠檬鸭 - tài shì níng méng yā)

This was very nice, but I'm not sure how Thai it is.

potato.jpg

Pimento Potato Chips (干椒土豆片 - gān jiāo tǔ dòu piàn)

I wouldn't call them pimentos - the Chinese just reads dried chilli. But I wouldn't call them chips either. They are discs of potato stir fried with the dried chillis and Chinese bacon (腊肉 là ròu).

Served with rice.

My companion went for an ice-cream desert. I passed.

ice cream.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 18

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

Pork tenderloin and kimchi on toasted ciabatta.

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpegI love the challenge of repurposing food. Last night I made a chicken casserole using the cream of greens soup that was leftover from earlier this week, adding canned artichoke hearts.

Served with mash potatoes flavoured with fennel fronds and crusty bread.

• Like 8

A riff on pad kra pao minus chillies.

Trimmed holy basil.

DSCN9786a_600.jpg

The dish done with sliced dark meat chicken.  Fish sauce only (rather than w/ oyster sauce plus dark/sweet soy sauce etc).

DSCN9790a_600.jpg

With white rice. I dispensed also with the fried egg typical of street-food pad kra pao.

• Like 9

Fried rice, in the pan.

DSCN9793a_600.jpg

The leftovers from above (see this post) simmered down a bit to generate some caramelization (the fish sauce aroma is quite clear... :) ), then pushed to the side of the pan; oil added in the middle, sliced young reddish onions [Nading Farm] (lower parts) added, tossed/stirred around briefly; two farm-fresh eggs [Schacht Farm] broken into the puddle of hot oil, scrambled/marbled in situ; day-old white rice [Z Reserve] added in, plus a bit of salt. Stirred/tossed around just to mix in; chopped mizuna [Wild's Apple Farm] then chopped green parts of those reddish young onions added in, everything stirred/tossed around, scraping up the caramelized bits. Covered, heat turned off, stood for a minute. Cover removed, flowering tops plus some leaves of Siam Queen Thai basil (from my deck) scattered over (this is when the pic was taken), then folded in. Served.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 7