• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 5)

liuzhou

Chicken broth (fresh batch) w/ both Chinese celery & Western celery simmered in (a portion of) it.

DSCN9639b_600.jpg

Picked-out dark meat & skin from selected pieces of the chopped-up stewing chickens used for the stock were added in.

One of the nicest and most satisfying bowls of chicken soup I've had in a while.

Cantonese roast duck [Asia Mart] w/ rice; the bean sauce accompanying the duck was poured over the rice.

DSCN9648b_600.jpg

Baby kai-lan blanched in oiled simmering water, dressed with a nice sauce mix & ground white pepper.

DSCN9644b_600.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 11

image.jpeg

"Melted" some garlic and anchovies in olive oil then blistered some cherries tomatoes and added a little cream. Served over zoodles with some crispy bacon pieces and some shaved Parmesan. 

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Soup.

DSCN9656b_600.jpg

Fresh chicken stock, unpeeled straw mushrooms [Asian Taste], simmer; trimmed Thai basil (used as a vegetable) wilted in & simmered less than a minute more.

Steamed halibut.

DSCN9652b_600.jpg

Steamed w/ ginger, scallions, white pepper, Shaohsing wine, hon-mirin, kosher salt. The halibut piece was retrieved (discarding everything else), plated, dressed w/ fresh scallions, ginger, Higeta Honzen choutokusen koikuchi, oil.

Eaten w/ several bowls of white rice.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 9

Steak from the Kamado Joe from a couple of weeks ago, with crispy chips and frozen peas. Yummy!

IMG_7037 (480x640).jpg

Another barbecue adventure from Saturday night. Spatchcocked poussin with zatar and spicy oil on a bed of bay leaves (3 mins breast down at 200 degrees then about 12 mins). Salad is inspired by a simple and delicious pear, feta, lettuce and vinaigrette salad I had in Botswana the other week, with rocket, pomegranate seeds and a pomegranate citrus vinaigrette. It ate well, but needed more of the sharpness of the feta. I think the simpler one was better!

IMG_7041 (640x480).jpg

IMG_7038 (640x480).jpg

• Like 15

Every single meal is nice on this page alone.

Mine is 2 different things as I don't eat leeks/spring onions/Chinese chives. My partner stir fried the pork belly with the Chinese chives whilst I put the ceviche together. Both dishes took very little time.

HkJkG5c.jpg

Mine

uSQHZ7b.jpg

• Like 13

Dinner last night was veal scallopine in a white wine and caper sauce.

Served with mash potato, fennel gratin and garlic green beans.

I coat these in seasoned flour and flash fry. The pan is deglazed with white wine, add capers and sizzle. Add the meat back, and the sauce will thicken.

image.jpeg

The fennel gratin.

image.jpeg

The plate.

image.jpeg

Edited by sartoric (log)
  • Like 13

I am an addictive liker. I just love seeing what other people are eating. Apologies for nosiness, I guess, but I am not that apologetic unless the food calls for resting in shade or something.

I love the cultural smorgasbord that is our meals here.

• Like 6

Awesome meals everyone.

With 2 young boys (3 y/o & 10 months) our ability to dine out has greatly diminished, though not due to lack of desire.

As such, with more meals at home, my propensity to splurge on high quality ingredients has also increased.

The fact remains however that your contributions tremendously boost my creative nature and offer ideas and innovations - for example;

Last night, after seeing one of RRO's posts re: her recent noodle indulgence, I created a riff; and took Udon noodles, made a Dashi broth, compounded with an peeking duck stock - and created a 'flavour boost' sauce to dip the noodles into, consisting of: Black vinegar, light soy, brown sugar, star anice, orange peel, black pepper, black bean paste, black pepper, Ancho chili oil and some Vietnamese coriander.  Absolutely killer, and not something I would have thought of without the inspiration from you folks.

Kudos to you all.

• Like 5

Dinner last night was burgers.  First time I have made them sous vide.  I didn't pre-season them at all and they were in the bath at 130F for about 2.5 hours, then seared with a torch.   They came out great.  Served on homemade whole wheat buns with sesame seeds, lettuce, pickles and homemade thousand island dressing.

sv-burger.jpg

• Like 8

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

image.jpeg

Inspired by @scubadoo97's hummus bil lahme.  Middle eastern spiced ground meat and onions over a baked potato with a simple salad.  

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog