• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 5)

liuzhou

I had guests which I took around, so no cooking recently. On our trips we visited the only buffalo farm in Austria. Delicious ricotta jumped into my basket. I transformed it into a tarte with red pepper coulis and pumpkin seeds

IMG_1860.JPG

IMG_1905.JPG

• Like 16

Been a while since I posted.  Got the flu and subsequently lost ALL sense of smell and taste for about a week.   I was sweating bullets until it gradually began to return.  Still not back to where I was but close.  I did lose some weight since food tasted of nothing and there was little desire to eat more than a bite of anything 

Tonight I made seared scallops with a side of corn and peppers and a salad

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 16

2 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Been a while since I posted.  Got the flu and subsequently lost ALL sense of smell and taste for about a a week.   I was sweating bullets until it gradually began to return.  Still not back to where I was but close.  I did lose some weight since food tasted of nothing and there was little desire to eat more than a bite of anything 

Tonight I made seared scallops with a side of corn and peppers and a salad

image.jpeg

That looks fantastic!

• Like 2

If Cassie were still here, we'd have a cake and a birthday party, but since  she isn't, we had cake without a party.  It is a white cake with lemon curd in the middle, cream cheese icing,  and sugared peaches on the side.  Main course was grilled rib eye steaks, broccoli salad, the last of the leftover bulgar salad, and something called a blooming potato. It's a potato cut so after it is baked, it's crispy on top and pulls apart like a blooming onion. This was the second time I have  tried it and think I need to do it again and again until I get all the kinks worked out of the recipe.

DSCN3553.jpg

DSCN3557.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 16

Braised Lamb Ribs

26879616234_68f0eb05b2_k.jpg

Lamb ribs,, seasoned in a Turkish Penzy seasoning ( vacuum sealed w/ orgainic brown sugar ) . braised ( 10 hrs ) , de fatted and re into lamb gravey.( over night )  , a mashed potato ,  also a garlic oil added.. micro parsley

• Like 16

Its good to have Morels

14 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Hi Guys. Unsure if I'll even get formatting right. However I decided to take the plunge and post after excessive lurking and attempting dinner following advice on a separate thread. 

Simple roast chicken and trimmings. And Whiskey.

20160605_183146.jpg

Welcome! Looks great.

• Like 5

@scubadoo97

I use fresh dry scallop..  .. just before i cook i   =====>  salt

In a cast iron pan @325 ish  -- rubbed with a paper towel  w evoo.. not much oi l( wiped dry )and my pans are well seasonned

I place the dry scallo[p in the dry pan  ( dont, move.. just wait )

It takes awhile,, but u will know when carmalization occurs..  liquid releases around protein.. give it time

Opaqueness. 1/4 way up the scallop

add your garlic butter flip .. you are done

by the time you plate

• Like 4

Its good to have Morels

I use butter that gets brown about the time the very dry scallops go in. Seems to really help scallop browning. I usually sit the scallops in the fridge on a paper towel for 15 or 20 min to dry the surface too.

Here, scallops with basil cream corn and slaw from the other night.

017.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 14

This is actually yesterday's (Saturday's) dinner. It was a long outdoors day of yard and garden work so dinner was super easy thanks to Friday's trip to Syracuse with a stop a Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe's artichoke ravioli with a fast tomato sauce (my last quart of home canned tomatoes from last year's garden! :(), a salad with everything in the fridge and bruschetta with toasted baguette that was rapidly getting stale, some left over mascarpone and Trader Joe's Roasted Red Pepper Spread. 

DSC01145.jpg

DSC01147.jpg

Uploading this took me about 20 minutes (and 5 games of Spider solitaire). Just saying.

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

@scubadoo97, Nice looking dinner, and so glad to hear you are feeling better and getting your sense of taste and smell back.

Tonight I made Imam Bayildi (a vegetarian stuffed eggplant dish) and a salad with green leaf lettuce and chickpeas. Both these dishes were served with lemon tahini sauce and warm (purchased, but good) French bread. My husband had a slice of leftover ham, cheddar, mushroom and onion quiche, but the vegan dishes were plenty for me. I ate an entire half of a large eggplant. It was delicious, but next time, not so much thyme.

• Like 7

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpeg

Last pieces of some tri tip I had in the fridge over some fried onions. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 6/4/2016 at 3:19 AM, rotuts said:

Its impossible for me to discuss SGP's

some people will eat anything it seems.

Me.

I consider it one of my best qualities. 

• Like 9

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

From yesterday: steamed crabs and octopus salad. Took us a very long time to finish dinner, and even then we couldn't eat all the salad. I also made some flat bread for the meal.

UEcUt0Z.jpg

Made a green sauce for both things (flat leaf parsley, minced capers, minced garlic, olive oil).

YLmJDEy.jpg

I like this photo. Crabs look like sumo wrestlers, one of which is defeated.

xnU8cp7.jpg

Today: leftover a bit of everything chucked in the wok. I used a Malaysian crispy shrimp paste/condiment and fish sauce to flavour the stir-fry.

srsP5HY.jpg

• Like 14

After a weekend of over-eating and over-drinking in Yountville to celebrate my father-in-law's (and my) birthday, we didn't feel like a big dinner.  So I just made a simple salad with some tuna salad.  For a side, this was my first attempt at pickled watermelon rind.  I made it using the flash-pickling technique in the chamber vac.  Brine was water, salt, vinegar and sugar.

watermelon-rind.jpg

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

image.jpeg

What I made for my teenage granddaughter tonight.  She has been eating dinner with me every Monday night since she was knee-high to a grasshopper. Not sure when or even if I shall eat tonight as I am awaiting visitors. 

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

What a lovely thing for you and your granddaughter to be able to do.  I can just imagine the lifelong memories you are both creating  on your Mondays.  Your meal looks wonderful but the fact of sharing it with her takes it to a whole new level. 

• Like 10

I wanted to make my favourite broccoli anchovy pasta. Drat, no anchovies.

Instead, we had a bacon, tomato and chilli pasta, served with toasted sourdough and a simple salad.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

I wanted to make my favourite broccoli anchovy pasta. Drat, no anchovies.

sartoric,

The dinner you ended up with looks great.

If I were faced with a bunch of broccoli and no anchovies, I'd make broccoli pasta. You just slice a few garlic cloves thin and fry in some butter and olive oil until dark blond, and remove the garlic. Meanwhile, your chosen pasta is boiling, and in the last 4 minutes of cooking time you add the broccoli florets and chopped stems, if desired, directly in the pasta water, then drain in a colander when pasta is done. You'd be surprised how soft, but still bright green your broccoli will get in just those 4 minutes of cooking by the time it's plated. Dress the pasta with the garlic/oil and good parmesan. I love this simple dish.

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

33 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

sartoric,

The dinner you ended up with looks great.

If I were faced with a bunch of broccoli and no anchovies, I'd make broccoli pasta. You just slice a few garlic cloves thin and fry in some butter and olive oil until dark blond, and remove the garlic. Meanwhile, your chosen pasta is boiling, and in the last 4 minutes of cooking time you add the broccoli florets and chopped stems, if desired, directly in the pasta water, then drain in a colander when pasta is done. You'd be surprised how soft, but still bright green your broccoli will get in just those 4 minutes of cooking by the time it's plated. Dress the pasta with the garlic/oil and good parmesan. I love this simple dish.

Thanks @Thanks for the Crepes, it was very chilli hot which we love.

I make my broccoli anchovy pasta in a similar way to you, couldn't imagine it without the anchovies, but perhaps I should try !

• Like 1