• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 5)

liuzhou

Salmon stuffed with mascarpone and spinach, topped with bread crumbs and parmesan and baked. I cut this recipe out of a magazine (Cuisine? Food and Wine?) at least 20 years ago. With broccolini and rice with pine nuts.

DSC01090.jpg

• Like 9

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Fish & Shrimp Soup.

DSCN9545b_600.jpg

Fish stock (see below), baby carrots [Silverthorn Farm], sliced de-stringed celery, chunks of halibut [from Caplinger's], trimmed baby sprouting broccoli [Earthly Delights], wild Gulf shrimp [also Caplinger's] halved lengthwise. Parsley leaflets.

Cipriani tagliarelle w/ olive oil & black pepper.

DSCN9538c_500.jpg

The tagliarelle was cooked in salted water as usual, bowled directly from the pot & tossed w/ a nice olive oil [Moulin Cornille (Fruité Noir), Maussane-les-Alpilles] & fresh ground black pepper.

Fish stock – cleaned trimmed bones in water; stuff that went in.

DSCN9516aC_400.jpgDSCN9521a_400.jpg

Two meaty large red snapper frames w/ heads from Caplinger's (they were filleting the fish - I asked for the frames, got them cheap) – backbones snapped off from heads, fins trimmed, snapped in half; heads trimmed of gills & stuff then chopped in half. All soaked in salted cool water for a while then rinsed off, removing as much blood & blood clots as possible; then back into the rinsed-out large stock pot in cool water. Brought to a simmer, skimming off scum. The aromatics & veggies went in (thinly sliced onion, young carrots [Silverthorn Farm], destringed celery, young leek [Norman Mullet Farm], parsley, thyme sprigs, crushed black peppercorns, dried bay leaves) plus some salt. Simmered for somewhere around 40-50 minutes (IIRC) then decanted off (sieve w/ paper towels). Cooled down. Clarified w/ egg whites mixed in w/ another finely chopped young leek & final filtration through Melitta coffee filters.

Had several bowls of the stuff just by itself w/ some parsley.

DSCN9534a_400.jpg

Very enjoyable, lips glued together by the gelatin.  :-) 

• Like 10

A Vietnamese hot pot of sorts. Homemade pork and beef stock, star anise, cinnamon, chicken lightly marinated, wedges of tomato, sliced carrots, sliced bamboo shoots, noodles and wombok. 

The additions are sliced beef, bits of pig, lettuce, herbs, bean sprouts and fried shallots. Finished with Nuoc Cham.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 16

image.jpeg

Mac 'n' cheese for grownups or Fettuccine Alfraido. Yeah I do know how to spell but few dishes are more likely to attract the slings and arrows of outraged experts than this simple but delicious dish. So my method and ingredients shall remain mine and mine alone. xD:DxD

• Like 17

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The heat has eased off here today...John is due back and asked for shrimp and pasta so.....sautéed zucchini and garlic, bucatini , shrimp, capers and a tomato.  I also poached some red pepper halves, made some Spanish rice and mixed sautéed bison, red pepper and onion into the rice with which to stuff the peppers.  Not sure if I want to top it with a bit of cheddar or 3 Italian.  Also made a small smooch.

Got some nice apricots at the farmer's market and want to make an apricot and raspberry clafoutis as well as some blueberry kucken for John's breakfasts.

• Like 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

After watching Aaron Franklin slow-smoke beef ribs on his show, BBQ with Franklin, I just had to try some beef ribs for Memorial Day.  I got these massives bones from Tim's Custom Cut Meats over in Couer d'Alene, Idaho, about 30 minutes from my home in Spokane.  You have to buy ribs cut from the plate as short ribs won't work, and they have to be meaty. 

IMG_0487.JPG

The only seasoning was a rub of olive oil and a smattering of Kosher salt, then a heavy dose of black pepper. No

marinade, no rub, no injection.

IMG_0491.JPG

I used alderwood, although I know most of the professionals use oak or mesquite.  Alderwood is more characteristic of what we use in the Pacific Northwest for Salmon, but I like the milder flavor and it doesn't destroy meat.  Smoked for  hours at 280 and then rested for 46 minutes. 

IMG_0499.JPG

I was very worried as I've never done beef ribs and the boys weren't cheap.  And then I cut into it, and was quite

pleased at how juicy and moist the meat was.............and oh so tender and delicious. 

IMG_0504.JPG

• Like 25

A few dishes from the past week. House ground beef (brisket, round, trimmings and pork fat) combined with spinach, Fulvi romano, pancetta,  egg and a little matzo meal then grilled and served with a nice romaine mediterranean'ish salad  with Bulgarian feta.

rP1040825.jpg 

A very simple dinner zucchini, onions and mushrooms sauted in sunflower oil with Halloumi.

rP1040828.jpg

And the start to dinner last night with a killer pork butt smoked with pecan and mesquite.

rP1040831.jpg 

Edited by Steve Irby (log)
  • Like 17

David, those are gorgeous. Pretty enough they could be pork. :wink:

We cooked a couple of T-bones and grilled some corn, shucked, buttered, salted and wrapped in foil.

steak 053016.JPG

I had mine with sliced tomatoes.

a6a2a7b2-f5c6-4c9c-976a-f2e7d0995aef_zps1x35ubqi.jpg

Just excellent.

• Like 22

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Anna, I think your alfredo looks delicious.  I would happily dig into that!

Gorgeous ribs, David

Kay, the steak looks to die for but it's the tomatoes that have me going.  I hope they tasted as good as they look (as I look at the pouring rain outside once again drowning my 'mater plants)

Ribs, collards from the garden, breaded tomatoes and mac and cheese

photo.jpg

• Like 13

@Shelby, tomatoes were excellent. These are hoop-house-started tomatoes from the Amish farmers at the Farmers Market. I'm several weeks away from having a ripe one in the garden, though I'm watching anxiously. It appears I will have a bumper crop of Romas; 22 on the vines already.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This weekend:

Morel Mushroom Hot and Sour Soup 

Rich chicken broth ( browned Bones )- Soy, white pepper, white Vinegar, bamboo shoots, tofu,  blk wood ear, morels and egg

27104974380_fd6a7379aa_k.jpg

• Like 15

Its good to have Morels

image.jpeg

Duck breast (a bit overcooked), wilted spinach, shiitake mushrooms with a reduced maple syrup/sherry vinegar/hazelnut oil gastrique.  

• Like 22

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Had a big appetite for Uighur lamb kebabs (Yang Rou Chuanr) and I live in an apartment, so charcoal grilling was not an option.

Hence I went for Mutton Jerky. Dehydrated my lamb for ~30 hours @70C, pre-seasoned with salt, chile powder, cumin and fennel . Bit of sugar. 

As a note to self, I will trim off the excess fat next time. 

lamb.jpg

• Like 8