• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 5)

liuzhou

This is a twist on something I prepare often and have posted before.

Cubed pork tenderloin marinated for several hours with garlic, lemon juice and zest, olive oil, coriander seeds and chilli. Except I didn't have any lemons and there is a monsoon outside so I subbed lime, which I did have. Then fried.

I think i prefer it with lime.

pork.jpg

Accompanied by a simple red onion and tomato salad dressed with lime instead of lemon and balcony mint instead of basil which hasn't germinated this spring :(.

salad.jpg

Even the rice was a substitute. I went yesterday to buy my usual rice of choice - Thai Hom Mali rice from this company, Ko-Ko. But they only had 10kg sacks. My days of lugging home 10 kg sacks are over, but the only 5 kg sacks they had were this Cambodian Jasmine Rice, so I decided to give it a try. I doubt I could tell the difference in a blind tasting. And it was cheaper.

cambodian rice.jpg

Host's note: this topic is part of a much longer topic that has been split to reduce load on our servers; the previous installment is here: Dinner 2016 (Part 4)

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I feel like my meals have been boring lately so I haven't taken many pictures.  

Everyone's food looks sooooo gooooooood.

Red beans, rice, andouille sausage with collards from my garden

photo.jpg

Lasagna using a ton of leftover venison meatballs that I diced up and made small.  Looks like a disaster lol but it tastes good.  One of the best lasagnas that I've made.  Oh and salad using lovely lettuce from the garden that I was able to pick in-between monsoon rains falling.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.JPG

• Like 17

image.jpeg

Chicken stew that was meant to be frozen for an emergency meal.   Last night was emergency enough… I was tired and hungry.

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Bun Bo Hue, served with a platter of greens, herbs and bean sprouts.

The recipe is from a book I bought in Vietnam. Each recipe has a QR tag to the authors YouTube channel.

Look up Helens Vietnamese recipes on YouTube for the details.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 13

50 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Bun Bo Hue, served with a platter of greens, herbs and bean sprouts.

The recipe is from a book I bought in Vietnam. Each recipe has a QR tag to the authors YouTube channel.

Look up Helens Vietnamese recipes on YouTube for the details.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I freaking adore Bun Bo Hue......I used to have a patron where I used to work and she brought me some of her stuff.....it was amazing

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Cookout-the-first for the long weekend (there will be at least one, and potentially two, more, depending upon what the weather does). We had family cookout with the kids, who requested burgers, so burgers we had. I had mine without the bun, and with sides of potato salad, jail slaw, deviled eggs, baked beans and pickles.

burger, holiday 052816.jpg

I thought the egg tray looked nice. In the center are pickled green beans I did last week.

eggs, pickles 0528.jpg

Dessert was blackberry cobbler, baked in a deep-dish pie plate, as my usual cobbler dish was in use baking beans.

blackberry pie 052816.JPG

Wasn't sure whether to post it in lunch or dinner, as we had it about 2:30. I don't expect I'll be eating dinner, anyway!

• Like 14

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I do not normally like sweet BBQ sauce, but Deb made a specific request for a sweet BBQ chicken so I went out on a limb (I do live with her) and made a gochujang/ mayo marinade and put the thighs in a bag with it  for a few hours. I cooked them over indirect heat on the grill at 350 F for 30 min. Then I brushed on some "Sweet Baby Ray" and cooked another 5 minutes. I have to admit, they were pretty good. We are having some folks over for lobster and ribs (I smoked today) tomorrow and I will reheat the chicken along with the ribs and serve up with cold salads. We'll see what happens after the lobster runs out. The first radishes from the garden are in those salads, I'm proud to say.

HC

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 14

Cold, previously cooked rib steak.  Ken-cut cabbage, tossed in mayonnaise vinaigrette. Intended to serve with sliced tomatoes but forgot.  No lack of wine.  Sadly much more than day old bread.  Lacking rather much in texture but nothing at all in flavor.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

To book-end my day of obsessive noodle eating nicely (after Cantonese wonton mee for breakfast), dao xiao mian, or Sichuanese fresh knife-cut noodles. 

With chicken crackling and crispy fried shallots (which I made myself, so used the oil rendered from the chicken skin to fry the shallots), doubanjian Sichuanese chilli broad bean paste, ground Sichuan and white peppers, Chinkiang black vinegar, minced green onions and dark soy sauce that I simmered down with star anise, cinnamon, black pepper, tangerine peel and brown sugar.

You then slick it with a tablespoonful of chicken oil, mix up with the chewy cooked noodles, douse it with chicken crackling, and slurrrrrrrp.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 22

image.jpeg

Pearl barley cooked in vegetable stock and topped with roasted vegetables. 

• Like 14

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Shelby

Stop with the French fries and the lamb chops will ya. You are mucking up my careful meal planning. :D

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner last night was a chicken curry adapted from a recipe in the excellent book "Tasting India" by Christine Manfield.

Served with steamed basmati, pappadams and chutney.

I saute onions, then garlic and ginger, add cinnamon stick, a few cloves, cumin and crushed dried chilli. The cubed chicken thigh goes in next with cubed potatoes and a diced tomato. Salt and water to cover, 40 minutes. Eat.

image.jpeg

• Like 9

Had this meal in Ha Noi on Jan. 6, 2004 now making it at home, with Bershire pork. The smell of lemongrass still lingers in my house since dinner.

bYR8Nm0.jpg

Pork belly slices were marinated and cooked the same way as the above

FyfxuT2.jpg

When visa is on arrival and tourists no longer need to surrender passports then I will return (again and again).

fdLyETK.jpg

• Like 13

I made scalloped potatoes and baked an 8 pound, hickory smoked, clove studded butt half ham. I served it with a few cherries, cranberry sauce, brussel sprouts and fluffy biscuits. We are having a tropical depression here with heavy rain, so the cookout I originally wanted to do was off the table.

I also made this Coconut Layer Cake from a recipe shared by our member @Kim Shook. It was as good as she said it was and quite a hit at my husband's birthday party. I did cut the sugar back some, but I always do, as that is my preference. I am a coconut cake fan, and this was the best version I've ever tasted. Thanks Kim!

• Like 9

> ^ . . ^ <

This wasn't all of dinner, but was the best part. A starter of spicy clams.

I fry up some garlic, ginger and chili until just fragrant then drop in the clams with a splash of water. As they open, I scoop them out and reserve. When all are open (or it becomes obvious that the last one isn't going to open) I throw them back into the wok with about a tablespoon each of soy sauce and oyster sauce. Stir to coat and add some Chinese chives.

Eat with fingers and home-made bread to mop up the sauce.

spicy clams.jpg

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto