• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

why not?

Last night was another attempt at ramen:

Ramen06272016.png

Ramen06272016.png

Noodles were Hakubaku organic ramen.  How does one cook straight noodles so they lie all in the same direction in the bowl, the way I've read you are supposed to?  And how does one get just a small portion of said noodles shoveled in one's mouth?

I was very pleased with the toppings, particularly the eggs and pork.  I was hoping to comment more but am having posting problems.

The broth was the only downside.  I followed a suggestion on the noodle package to use salted chicken broth and soy sauce, but the result ended up too salty (for which I can only blame the cook) and not enough umami.  Oh, and that I used too much shichimi togarasi on top.  Ma tong wa kina numb.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Last night was another attempt at ramen:

Ramen06272016.png

Ramen06272016.png

Noodles were Hakubaku organic ramen.  How does one cook straight noodles so they lie all in the same direction in the bowl, the way I've read you are supposed to?  And how does one get just a small portion of said noodles shoveled in one's mouth?

I was very pleased with the toppings, particularly the eggs and pork.  I was hoping to comment more but am having posting problems.

The broth was the only downside.  I followed a suggestion on the noodle package to use salted chicken broth and soy sauce, but the result ended up too salty (for which I can only blame the cook) and not enough umami.  Oh, and that I used too much shichimi togarasi on top.  Ma tong was kina numb.