• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding in Yakeshi

So the real question is what to do when in-laws come to visit us in America.  Taking them on hamburger tasting tour is not going to cut it.  

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, chefmd said:

So the real question is what to do when in-laws come to visit us in America.  Taking them on hamburger tasting tour is not going to cut it.  

I dunno...something  American like that may seem exotic to them.  I'm sure between everyone here we can come up with some fun/interesting/new to them things that will knock their socks off :) 

• Like 3

Chefmd,   thank you so much for your blog.  I just loved it.  It is a part of the world I will never see and you made it seem as though I were there.  One question - is the food in that part of China spicy?

• Like 3

Most food we tasted was not spicy.  Few dishes had a bite but it was not sweat inducing spicy.  Also interestingly I never once felt the need to add soy sauce since dishes were seasoned perfectly.

• Like 5

And I am proud to report that I survived four days without coffee in Yakeshi.  Ditto no coke for my husband.  Now sipping on instant coffee in Beijing hotel room and it oh so delicious. I don't even mind the instant part.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Chefmd,   thank you so much for your blog.  I just loved it.  It is a part of the world I will never see and you made it seem as though I were there.  One question - is the food in that part of China spicy?

Spicy food is mainly found in the southern part of China - in particular, Sichuan, Hunan, Guizhou and Guangxi provinces. Northern China isn't usually spicy, at all.

I've only visited Inner Mongolia once (also for a wedding) and, although the food was interesting, I did miss my spice kick.

I envy you the lamb dishes, though. Lamb is rarely available here in the south and when it is, it is expensive.That said, in town there are a couple of branches of Little Sheep which was originally Inner Mongolian, but is now owned by Yum Foods (Pizza Hut and KFC's owners.)

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, chefmd said:

Few pictures taken along the way.  Cause we take non food pictures too ;).  What a gorgeous place.

8 hours ago, chefmd said:

20160530_112812.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences in exotic China! I have relished it.

One question: Is that an errant large live water buffalo or other huge cattle species that is escaping disaster along that busy median, or a statue of some kind? I popped the image out larger and still couldn't really tell.

> ^ . . ^ <

Crepes, that is the rear end of a free roaming cow, there were quite a few of those trying to cross the road.  Thankfully there did not appear to be any dead cows along the road.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2016 at 6:27 PM, chefmd said:

Few pictures taken along the way.  Cause we take non food pictures too ;).  What a gorgeous place.

20160530_113933.jpg20160530_114248.jpg20160530_141900.jpg20160530_141009.jpg20160530_121751.jpg20160530_143153.jpg20160530_112812.jpg

Looks like Big Sky country in the Mid West in the USA. Y'know, those places outside of Washington DC abut 700-1200 miles from there, where the horizon stretches from end to end.

• Like 2

Absolutely spectacular. 

Thank you chefmd and congratulations on your and your family's good fortune.  I, as well, am unlikely to visit Yakeshi, so this was an epic half hour reading of your travels, and your portraits of dishes were first-rate.

Your In-Laws may enjoy a tour of:

- New England seafood

- North Carolina BBQ (and Kansas, Texas etc)

- South Western Mexicali?  Too spicey?

• Like 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

@chefmd, I've just read through this thread from the beginning. What an absolutely fascinating, and enjoyable, journey! Thank you so very much for sharing your experiences, culinary and otherwise, with us. And my very best wishes to your son and daughter-in-law for a wonderful future.

Thanks for taking the time and sharing with us!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 4 weeks later...